What a let down

You need to come to the realization that the Iowa job is not a hot one and in order to get our program back on track we're going to have take a chance on a coach.

Does this look like a hire where we are taking a chance? A guy who has spent 14 years at the mid-major level?

Someone like Billie Gillespie would have been more of a risk to get us back on track, IMO. At least that guy has proven he can win in a conference like the Big XII. Until the past 3 years, McCaffrey was just a little over .500 at the mid-major level. I'm concerned about this.

Yuck, blah, gives me a feeling that I have the flu. Unless he hires a great staff we will back here in 3 years wishing, having wet dreams about Peral again. If Steve Forbes wasn't interviewed I have a huge problem with Barta.

There was no official interveiw.

Does this look like a hire where we are taking a chance? A guy who has spent 14 years at the mid-major level?

Someone like Billie Gillespie would have been more of a risk to get us back on track, IMO. At least that guy has proven he can win in a conference like the Big XII. Until the past 3 years, McCaffrey was just a little over .500 at the mid-major level. I'm concerned about this.

And where have you seen that Gillespie even wanted the Iowa job?

There was no official interveiw.

Of course he wasnt, mainly because the only people that considered him a candidate was hawkeyenation.com. Forbes was never in the running, which makes all the fodder about him over the past couple weeks an even bigger waste of time

I cant believe part of the melt down is that Steve Forbes didnt get an interview. Other than being from Iowa and really wanting the job i dont see how we was a viable candidate considering he has never been a head coach. I am from Iowa and it would also be my dream job. Does that mean I shouldve been considered? I think so

Everyone needs to calm down a little bit. It isnt like we had a ton of great choices to choose from

Forbes is also known as a very good recruiter, which is something that everyone here agreed that we needed. He also would have run an uptempo style of game, another thing we all wanted. And he wanted the job. It wasn't a stepping stone, it was a destination job for him. All three of those things were enormous plusses in my book.

I don't know what to think about this hire, simply because his wasn't a name that got thrown around a lot on here, so it was a little disappointing. But I still intend to fully support him and the program, and I strongly suggest you all do the same. Actually get out and go to Carver. Because if we don't start showing up to games, it's going to get worse. If the place is still empty at the start of next year, then every coach we may consider hiring in the future is going to remember that the fans won't come unless you're Bruce Pearl, Scott Drew, etc. And then we'll REALLY have a hard time bringing someone in.

As much blame as many have put at Lickliter's feet, there's plenty to go around. Lickliter, Barta, Bowlsby, Alford. But make sure you don't forget to include ourselves. We as a fanbase have to shoulder some of the blame, because part of it is our fault.

i have no faith what so ever in Gary Barta... I hope this guy can recruit at a big time program... seems to me like another WASTE
Damn ; give the guy a chance. Most likely you know nothing about him. You are a typical bandwagon fan. Time to unite .

Forbes is also known as a very good recruiter, which is something that everyone here agreed that we needed. He also would have run an uptempo style of game, another thing we all wanted. And he wanted the job. It wasn't a stepping stone, it was a destination job for him. All three of those things were enormous plusses in my book.

Fran runs an uptempo style and chose Iowa over St Johns and Seton Hall which shows he really wants to be at Iowa. Plus according to Miller he has an asst who is a great recruiter - hopefully he brings him with him. And the biggest thing is he is an experienced winner as a D1 head coach.

In comparison to Forbes this seems like a slam dunk

He actually had offers from St Johns and Seton Hall? Or did they just make calls to inquire about him? C'mon...do not inflate that into actual ''he chose Iowa over Big East teams''.

He caught lightning in a bottle the last three years by dominating a conference that no one can name a team from...and making the NCAA. He did it with a bunch of mid-major only recruited players, none of whom interested BCS schools.
If he does not bring in a great recruiting staff, that has done the midwest more recently than a decade ago...we are back in the same box as with lick.

That is TOTALLY besides the point. I'm pretty well convinced Barta didn't even inquire.

Have you heard that Gillespie did NOT want the job?

No, no one knows anything. Thats why its completely ridiculous to slam the AD for some made up scenario you know nothing about.

No, no one knows anything. Thats why its completely ridiculous to slam the AD for some made up scenario you know nothing about.

You're changing the subject. I was responding to your comment that we were going to have to take a risk with our next hire to get back on track. I'm saying that this hire isn't the "risk" that you are talking about.

This is a horrible hire from a "uniting the fans" standpoint. It will be a horrible hire regarding attendance next season. It is a good hire for an entertainment standpoint...assuming this guy can recruit or get someone on his staff that can(this is the biggest question right now).

You shouldn't be surprised with how people feel about this hire. We have went down this mid major road before. Nothing about McCaffery seems much different. Except he does have some assistant coaching experience at a high major.

I'm sure once the disappointment fades a little people will look at things differently. But the initial reaction is understandable, if not justified.

This is a horrible hire from a "uniting the fans" standpoint. It will be a horrible hire regarding attendance next season. It is a good hire for an entertainment standpoint...assuming this guy can recruit or get someone on his staff that can(this is the biggest question right now).

You shouldn't be surprised with how people feel about this hire. We have went down this mid major road before. Nothing about McCaffery seems much different. Except he does have some assistant coaching experience at a high major.

I'm sure once the disappointment fades a little people will look at things differently. But the initial reaction is understandable, if not justified.

+1

You are a typical bandwagon fan. Time to unite .

not the case... i have had season tickets for years and will not renew them after this...

if you wanted to hire a guy that could have united the fan base and get people excited about iowa basketball we should have hired BJ Armstrong..

Fran runs an uptempo style and chose Iowa over St Johns and Seton Hall which shows he really wants to be at Iowa. Plus according to Miller he has an asst who is a great recruiter - hopefully he brings him with him. And the biggest thing is he is an experienced winner as a D1 head coach.

In comparison to Forbes this seems like a slam dunk

Is there proof he actually received offers to be the head coach at either of these schools? So this guy had three offers sitting on his kitchen table, and decided on Iowa? If that is indeed what happened then Barta should be commended on his salesmanship.

I was going to try and be the voice of reason here. But I see this thread is where some angry individuals have convened. Perhaps the reason you are let down is because your expectations were way to high to start with? I'm sure there's a lot about Fran McCaffery that Barta liked that sold him. Hopefully once things have cooled down some of the angry fans will start to realize this guy's not to bad. Sky's the limit right now, whether you see it or not.:)

I was going to try and be the voice of reason here. But I see this thread is where some angry individuals have convened. Perhaps the reason you are let down is because your expectations were way to high to start with? I'm sure there's a lot about Fran McCaffery that Barta liked that sold him. Hopefully once things have cooled down some of the angry fans will start to realize this guy's not to bad. Sky's the limit right now, whether you see it or not.:)

go to scout.com and look at the players this guy has recruiting... how can ANYONE GET EXCITED FOR THIS SH*T?

Latest posts