Whar the Assistant Coaches?

Just FYI, I live in NW Iowa and at the average per acre price right now in my county, 10,000 acres would cost you $118,656,000.00

Not even Marshal Yanda has that kind of money. Not even close.
$12k an acre? Holy sh*t, no wonder nobody can afford to farm any more.

$12k an acre? Holy sh*t, no wonder nobody can afford to farm any more.
In 2012/13 there were several auctions that went over $20K.

There’s tons of old money up here, and those guys didn’t have to get loans. They paid cash. One that I remember north of Boyden was a pissing match between two farmers. One of them owned ground on three sides of the plot up for bid and he wanted to square off the section.

When you pay cash for land like that you can afford to rent it out even if the land market or rental rates crash. These guys are just buying it to make sure their grandkids, great grandkids, and great great grandkids are all rich.

The few guys who convinced banks to borrow money for land back then or mortgaged their existing ground & farms to buy it were fucked because in 2015/16 cash rent collapsed and grain prices tanked. If you had to make payments or interest you were hosed.

And as far as being able to afford to farm, you haven’t been able to afford it for 60+ years. There is no other industry harder to break into than Midwest crop farming. It’s literally impossible to enter the industry as a farm owner unless you’re born into or marry into a family with a bunch of ground. If your great great grandparents didn’t acquire land in the 50s and hold onto it you ain’t gonna sit at the table.

Now where you can get in, and where I wish I had started working towards 20 years ago, is hog buildings. If you can somehow scrape together enough money to put your first one up and pay it off, you are home free and the sky’s the limit unless you’re an idiot. Once that first one is making money and paid off, banks will practically beg you to take their money and put up more of ‘em. Tyson and Smithfield will give you a literal endless supply of hogs that you don’t even have to own...you just make sure they’re fed, vaccinated, the power doesn’t go out and they even arrange the transport for you. It’s getting over that first hump of paying the original one off that stops people. Those things just fuckin’ print money.

Well, that took a turn off of the main topic.

As much as I would like Marshall Yanda to be an assistant coach for the Hawkeyes, it is NOT going to happen.

I think Ferentz will find a dynamic, young, energetic coach who can recruit and even if he is currently a WR coach, he will get him to move to a different position or possibly move current assistant coaches around to get the best guys on the staff.

I am just remembering how awesome an OL COACH Reese Morgan was. Suddenly, Ferentz asks him to take over the DL after the coach K fiasco. Morgan took a negative and turned it into a positive pretty quickly, even though he didn’t know jack squat about coaching the DL, at the time. Maybe he will do a little shuffle like that in order to bring in the best assistant possible.

Well, that took a turn off of the main topic.

As much as I would like Marshall Yanda to be an assistant coach for the Hawkeyes, it is NOT going to happen.

I think Ferentz will find a dynamic, young, energetic coach who can recruit and even if he is currently a WR coach, he will get him to move to a different position or possibly move current assistant coaches around to get the best guys on the staff.

I am just remembering how awesome an OL COACH Reese Morgan was. Suddenly, Ferentz asks him to take over the DL after the coach K fiasco. Morgan took a negative and turned it into a positive pretty quickly, even though he didn’t know jack squat about coaching the DL, at the time. Maybe he will do a little shuffle like that in order to bring in the best assistant possible.
I agree with your take, Lumberman. KF isn't going to rush the process. He will take enough time to find a good fit over quickly hiring a bad fit. He's been there and done that. Credit to him for learning that lesson.

NW Iowa contains the highest crop land values in the state, with the exception of a southeastern corner, though I can’t really figure out why that corner is more valued. Fry is correct about the war between two farmers and the $20,000 per acre fiasco. Right now, the Lyon County area land is averaging around $10,200 per acre. Sioux County maybe a bit more. A farmer pays the land owner around $275-$300 per acre, and the farmer likely owns some land, then rents a bunch. A half section, which is a pretty small farm these days at 320 acres. But that is $3,264,000 worth of land. Rented out, that piece of black dirt earns about $90,000 a year. The vast majority of Iowa farm land is owned by absentee guys like me, since my family bought land as an investment over 3 generations. The best thing about land as an investment is that there ain’t gonna be more of it, ever.

NW Iowa contains the highest crop land values in the state, with the exception of a southeastern corner, though I can’t really figure out why that corner is more valued. Fry is correct about the war between two farmers and the $20,000 per acre fiasco. Right now, the Lyon County area land is averaging around $10,200 per acre. Sioux County maybe a bit more. A farmer pays the land owner around $275-$300 per acre, and the farmer likely owns some land, then rents a bunch. A half section, which is a pretty small farm these days at 320 acres. But that is $3,264,000 worth of land. Rented out, that piece of black dirt earns about $90,000 a year. The vast majority of Iowa farm land is owned by absentee guys like me, since my family bought land as an investment over 3 generations. The best thing about land as an investment is that there ain’t gonna be more of it, ever.
That corner of SE Iowa is in the water table for both the Des Moines River and the Mississippi River making it among the most naturally fertile soil in the state.

Latest posts