Whar officating sux threads?

1hawkeye1

Some of you have got most biased black and gold glasses on when it comes to Hawkeye basketball. Lose to Indiana and the refereeing was horrible. But beat Illinois and it was wonderful. Ed Hightower anyone?

These people on the Fighting Illini boards get it:
Fighting Illini Forums - View Single Post - Iowa 63, Illinois 55 POSTGAME
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=708958&postcount=125

Last edited:
I had thought about starting one. I do have to say, I thought they let the Hawks rough up the Illini a bit last night, so if you go to their board, you may find the thread you are looking for.

Doh, I had not actually read the original post, just the title. I see you had already answered your own question.

Iowa got some home cooking from the refs on some calls. Illinois got away with some as well.
Overall, though, at least they were consistent and let the teams play. Have to appreciate that.

I literally laughed out loud when Woodbury shuffled his feet about 3 times and then kicked the ball out to White for a wide open 3.

That charge that Clemmons drew in the first half was just an awful call that went against Illinois

I think McCabe also drew a charge when his feet were off the ground. When a team finishes a game with 12 blocks and 15 fouls, and its opponent finishes with 4 blocks and 19 fouls, the officiating has to be suspect.

Iowa got some home cooking from the refs on some calls. Illinois got away with some as well.
Overall, though, at least they were consistent and let the teams play. Have to appreciate that.

Couldn't agree more. There were a few times I didn't like the calls or no calls, but they were consistent throughout the game and let them play. It was a physical game, and it was getting chippy out there. I was actually surprised Groce didn't get a technical for as much crying as he did.

How can fans of a team that have 200 more ft's than the opponent complain about officiating. Iowa fans are silly in that re.

Both of the teams have horrid fundamentals. Brandon Pauls charge in what I think was the first half was pretty benign.

In any game there are calls missed by officials and wrong calls. They stand out more. B1G should investigate why Iowa goes to the line so much more.

Maybe it's because the officials are afraid of flying chairs, mean looks, or shoes with feet in them.

As one Illini writer said....squak hawks. He was defending his cryin Illini.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why Iowa has more free throws than their opponents. For one, we can't shoot the three, so that forces us to get more of our points within 17 ft of the basket. Secondly, we are aggressive at going to the hoop, which will get you to the line more often.

I remember after the VT game, I felt the same way the Illini feel now. But it was because VT was more aggressive and we were playing on our heels too much.

B1G should investigate why Iowa goes to the line so much more.

Maybe it's because the officials are afraid of flying chairs, mean looks, or shoes with feet in them.

Or maybe it's because Iowa can't shoot so they must drive to ball to the basket. Take off the tinfoil hat.

Someone should make a sarcasm meter that shows up with every post. Easier to gauge that way.

IMO talking about officiating is dumb. It's a very hard job, nothing can be done about it. For me I rank it right up there with talking about how much you can bench. I bench 425 by the way.

Consistent is the key word. It is when what was a foul now isn't a foul or what wasn't being called starts being called. That was my complaint after the Indiana game. I didn't feel Iowa would have won regardless, but at the end of the game IU started getting called for something they had done all night. I use the players reaction as a gauge and Hull was called twice at the end of the game when he had use the same defense all night.

Consistent is the key word. It is when what was a foul now isn't a foul or what wasn't being called starts being called. That was my complaint after the Indiana game. I didn't feel Iowa would have won regardless, but at the end of the game IU started getting called for something they had done all night. I use the players reaction as a gauge and Hull was called twice at the end of the game when he had use the same defense all night.

Would be easier if teams were consistent. Look how much Iowa or IU changes based on who is in the game.

I will be the first to admit Iowa benefited from a big helping of home cooking last night. There were several plays in my mind I was saying "Oh, OK..." when I didn't hear the whistle I was fully expecting, especially from the Tower. Can think of at least to charge calls Iowa managed to draw on Ill, some push-offs on rebounds and a couple blocks. Maybe Fran's friendly chat with Eddie before the game paid off.

That said, the Hokks were long overdue for kind treatment from the third team on the floor. Guess it all evens out over the season.

They can complain all they want in here
th

Latest posts