Were you counting Maryland as a win like me?

I didn't. Maryland has a top 10 recruiting class and those freshmen are making an impact. And they also have 6 transfers on the team. High level recruiting and transfers are going to make you a good team. It's what college hoops is about. Experience is overrated.

What I've seen from Iowa so far they look like a rebuilding year (post Dev) and the Big Ten is a battle. Iowa's saving grace is a high RPI schedule. They will essentially play 1/2 of their schedule vs ranked teams. I'm giving them benefit of the doubt they beat 1-3 ranked teams this year, just have to avoid the losses to Rutgers and Northwestern (that's no guarantee) and think even 18 wins will get them in but that could be tough to do from what we've seen so far.

Iowa St was severely overrated, they struggled with a bad Oakland team and a very average Alabama team. A legit 13th ranked team should have cruised to that tourney title. ISU got lucky to win a lot of close games last year, if they don't have the same kind of luck this year they could be a bubble team.

Iowa St was severely overrated, they struggled with a bad Oakland team and a very average Alabama team. A legit 13th ranked team should have cruised to that tourney title. ISU got lucky to win a lot of close games last year, if they don't have the same kind of luck this year they could be a bubble team.

Very bold words, my friend. Very bold..................

I'll file this under "i'll believe it when I see it." I hope we get the home win against ISU, and we very well might (if we can exploit the size advantage, like maryland did, we have a good shot). But ISU has done enough recently for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. You may be right that the teams that they've played thus far are average at best ... but both bama and maryland looked pretty good, in my opinion.

I don't expect to see ISU sweating on selection sunday. Of course, there's at least a chance that I don't really have a clue.

I'll file this under "i'll believe it when I see it." I hope we get the home win against ISU, and we very well might (if we can exploit the size advantage, like maryland did, we have a good shot). But ISU has done enough recently for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. You may be right that the teams that they've played thus far are average at best ... but both bama and maryland looked pretty good, in my opinion.

I don't expect to see ISU sweating on selection sunday. Of course, there's at least a chance that I don't really have a clue.

Maryland looked pretty good while Iowa State didn't. I think experience is important, but probably not as important as who is getting the experience. I thought Iowa would be a lot more lethal offensively this year with all their upperclassmen. Their frontcourt has looked pretty good, but the guard court doesn't really look improved.

They certainly don't look like a team that has the same mental toughness as last year, that is for sure. Losing Kane and Ejim might have really hurt on that front. Last night wasn't a close game, but you are right, no way do they go 11-2 in close games again.

May want to rethink that. They are handling isu and looking damned good doing it.:(

Maryland has a better basketball program than Iowa.
Maryland has better athletes on this year's bb team.
Why would anyone "count" on a win over a better program?
Look at the teams in the BIG this year and tell me how many games that you are "counting on" as wins.

I have seen almost all of the teams play. Not many gimmes for Iowa. Capable of beating all of them. Capable of losing to all of them.

They are picked to finish lower than Iowa in every preseason poll I've seen, so we should be even or better than them (whether that's true remains to be seen). We only play them once and that's at home, which should give us an advantage.

I read the question as "counting" and not "counting on" a win. I'm still counting it as a win, but not counting on it as a win...if that (or anything else I say) makes sense.

Look at the teams in the BIG this year and tell me how many games that you are "counting on" as wins.

I have seen almost all of the teams play. Not many gimmes for Iowa. Capable of beating all of them. Capable of losing to all of them.

This is where we are right now as a program. Makes it exciting, but damn frustrating.

r

Sadly, I think this is spot-on. Iowa has no room on the schedule for a "bad night." All games will be a challenge for this team.

Guards rule in college basketball, and right now, our guard play isn't very good. Too many turnovers and we aren't making the routine plays. It's going to be a long year if Olgesbee struggles shooting the ball like he is. For all the talk about all the shooters this team has, we need them to step up that area big time.

The good thing is that White is getting down in the low post and showing he can score or get fouled. Woody appears to have improved his offense too...and is more confident. Having a low post presence that can score, is huge, but our shooters need to make shots period.

Jok has to realize he isn't going to play perfecting the ola' defense. Defense is about grit, intensity, and desire and he just looked like he's going through the motions right now on d. I don't get it. I hope he gets it together as I think if he gets playing time, he's going to start lighting up from 3. His stroke looks great...he just hasn't played enough to get it going.

9 of them. I'm counting 9 wins for a 9-9 B1G record. Same as JDM (I think) and same as a lot of people. Not sure why you think this team can't win any games this year. :confused:

As 99TopDawg said above, counting wins is not the same as "counting on" a win. I'm looking at our schedule and trying to predict how many wins Iowa may get. No guarantees, just speculation. You know, routine message board crap.

Counting on wins. What bizarro planet do some of these fans live on? This team is going to struggle and struggle mightily this season. News flash for some, Marble was not the issue and now it is obvious when you watch last years supporting cast play without him.

Will lose to ISU, NC and UNI. Then finish in the bottom 4-5 in the B1G. Not making the NIT.

Those 4 2015 recruits cannot get here soon enough.

Latest posts