Were the best 4 teams in the NCAA from the SEC this year?

Winterhawk

I've generally looked at SEC's run of championships and believed that they had 1 or 2 exceptional teams in any given year, but the rest of their teams were elevated simply by association even though they weren't all that great.

In watching the bowl season and taking into account the totality of the regular season, I think one could make an argument that the top 4 teams were:

1. Alabama
2. Texas A&M
3. Georgia
4. Florida

I've got no problem with someone arguing Oregon, Ohio State, Notre Dame or Stanford, but I think the top flight depth is getting better in that conference not holding steady or getting worse. Throw in South Carolina and LSU as regular top 10-15 programs and the depth only grows. The rest of the country is losing ground; it will be interesting to see if it changes the practices in other conferences to gain that ground back.

Florida was not.

The 4 best teams in college football this year were:

1- Alabama
2- Oregon
3- Georgia
4- Ohio State

I've generally looked at SEC's run of championships and believed that they had 1 or 2 exceptional teams in any given year, but the rest of their teams were elevated simply by association even though they weren't all that great.

In watching the bowl season and taking into account the totality of the regular season, I think one could make an argument that the top 4 teams were:

1. Alabama
2. Texas A&M
3. Georgia
4. Florida

I've got no problem with someone arguing Oregon, Ohio State, Notre Dame or Stanford, but I think the top flight depth is getting better in that conference not holding steady or getting worse. Throw in South Carolina and LSU as regular top 10-15 programs and the depth only grows. The rest of the country is losing ground; it will be interesting to see if it changes the practices in other conferences to gain that ground back.

Florida sucks.

Signed,

Louisville

Top 4 SEC teams this season were Bama, Ga, A&M and Lsu.

Either Ga, A&M or Oregon should have been in the title game this year. It was a joke that ND was rated number one. Just a total joke. No consideration was given to the schedules. Try to tell me that ND was better than bama, Ga or A&M.

FreedComanche

1. Alabama - not much to dispute here

2. (tie) Texas A&M - this team would have easily won the B12 had they stayed put, I think they beat Florida if you put that game towards the end of the year instead of their first game of the season.
2. (tie) Florida - ok so they over looked and lost to Louisville but they won @ Texas A&M, @ Florida State, and beat LSU at home. They made a case to be in the NC game if not for a close loss to Georgia.
2. (tie) Georgia - Almost beat Alabama in the SEC title game and only team to beat Florida in the regular season.
2. (tie) South Carolina - Kicked Georgia a$$ and beat Clemson

LSU - yeah they.....meh, forget it

I hate the SEC!!!!!!

The SEC East was a joke all season. UGA made their living off of beating garbage. So did Florida.

And seriously, who did these teams best in bowls? A bunch of mediocre crap.

Here is your list.

Bama
Oregon
OSU
KState

Nobody else matters.

The SEC East was a joke all season. UGA made their living off of beating garbage. So did Florida.

Here is your list.

Bama
Oregon
OSU
KState

Nobody else matters.

No doubt Bama and Oregon.

Osu was unbeaten in a very, very weak big 10. Remember how they struggled to beat Purdue? I don't think they belong in the mix.

I LOVE Bill Snyder and thought at one point during the season they would play for the title. However, I just don't think they are in the title converstaion. Without their qb they are a slightly better than avg team.

FreedComanche

Here is your list.

Bama
Oregon
OSU
KState

Nobody else matters.

Would you favor all of those teams against Texas A&M or Georgia? I'd replace OSU and KSU with those two. Oregon is solid and fun to watch, but I think they would have their hands full with these teams.

Alabama
Oregon
Texas A&M
K-State

A&M beat Alabama, but lost to Florida and LSU, Florida was their first real game under Sumlin, too bad the first one got postponed, I think you would have saw a different result. The teams playing the best at the end of the season were A&M/Alabama.

Oregon/K-State peed their seasons and shots at the NC down their legs, oh well, saw the match-up in the bowl game and the team I thought was better all year won.

I can't put OSU on that list and I am not sure they are in my top 10, look at how they played against Michigan and then what Alabama did to ND a common opponent of Michigan. B1G was awful this year.

Can't put Georgia in there, but they would probably be in the top 5 and they played a bad Nebraska in their bowl and did to them what everyone thought they would.

South Carolina isn't a great team either as they had one of the most favorable schedules a team in the SEC had. LSU can play some defense, but their offense was just bad.

I hate the SEC, but they continue to prove that they are good. I cannot wait for the playoff.

Here is your list.

Bama
Oregon
OSU
KState

Nobody else matters.

LOLerz. You had me until K-State, the B12 was garbage all year as shown in the bowls, who did K-State? An average Oklahoma team. Baylor (Baylor!) shut them down and lit up their defense. Stanford or A&M would have easily beat K-State, as would have at least a dozen other teams. If Stanford hadn't been starting Nunez at the beginning of the year they would have been playing for the title.

Top 4 SEC teams this season were Bama, Ga, A&M and Lsu.

Either Ga, A&M or Oregon should have been in the title game this year. It was a joke that ND was rated number one. Just a total joke. No consideration was given to the schedules. Try to tell me that ND was better than bama, Ga or A&M.

FreedComanche

Notre Dame played a harder schedule than Alabama did.

LOLerz. You had me until K-State, the B12 was garbage all year as shown in the bowls, who did K-State? An average Oklahoma team. Baylor (Baylor!) shut them down and lit up their defense. Stanford or A&M would have easily beat K-State, as would have at least a dozen other teams. If Stanford hadn't been starting Nunez at the beginning of the year they would have been playing for the title.

Meet CAAR. He's dumb. He has a pattern, though, that shows that KSU sucked in the 80's, was good in the 90's, and sucked in the 00's, so they must be good now in the 10's.

Fair enough, but if you look at the entirety of the season, and not an uninspired bowl game performance - they are right there.

LOL Wrong.
Florida beat Bowling Green by 13 at home, beat a "ranked" Tennessee team by 17, Missouri by 7 at home, LA-Lafayette by 7 at home...but yes they did beat
a lot of the SEC teams who were vastly overrated all season.

The only non-SEC team that belongs in the top 4 is Oregon. Texas A&M lost both of their games early with a new coach and freshman QB, they got better as the year progressed and by the end of the season they were great. South Carolina was one of the best teams in the country early on, but a combination of a brutal schedule and injuries derailed them a bit (Georgia, at LSU, at Florida in a row). By the end of the year Carolina wasn't the same team. Florida has a great defense, but their offense was just horrible. When they were up 21 - 0 on Carolina, they only had 29 yards of offense. Florida was on the receiving end of a lot of lucky breaks this year.

A playoff can't get here soon enough. I'm starting to think 4 teams isn't enough. Teams on the outside looking in (A&M, Stanford, Georgia) would have made a playoff very interesting.

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. A&M
4. Georgia

Latest posts