We're not that good...

And this is the truth....

best talent iowa supposed to have in awhile...lol whatever...very average defense...crappy special teams and good offense = average team.

You can no longer have great success with having one dominate unit on the defense, especially when that unit is the DL. The modern offense has completely passed the antiquated defense of iowa by.

No need for a meltdown folks, this is the way it is.

This is the way it always will be.

Deal with it. You chose to be a Hawk fan, and now it it's time to come back to reality.

Nobody hates you for it, you'll be OK...

Radio guys saying Iowa needs to upgrade talent in D-secondary. Eric Thigpen said he wished he could trade some of the Iowa players like in the NFL. He said we need to go after 4 and 5 star guys there. That is holding his back from competing for a NT run.

You can no longer have great success with having one dominate unit on the defense, especially when that unit is the DL. The modern offense has completely passed the antiquated defense of iowa by.

What I don't understand about your argument is that you're stating that Iowa's defense doesn't have enough quality of players but then you are saying that Iowa's defense isn't good because it's archaic.

How can you make an assumption about the scheme itself when the players who are playing in it aren't good enough to be.

What I don't understand about your argument is that you're stating that Iowa's defense doesn't have enough quality of players but then you are saying that Iowa's defense isn't good because it's archaic.

How can you make an assumption about the scheme itself when the players who are playing in it aren't good enough to be.

I agree, that was a little confusing. He does have a point though. You can't have great success with only one dominant unit on D. I won't say "especially" if it's the D-Line, because in 2005 we had dominant linebackers and a young line, and struggled then too.

The model looks archaic if you don't have the right players. But that's true with any scheme. When we have the talent at all three levels (see:2008/2009), it's just dominant.

We ARE good... we just made a helluva lot of mistakes today, which is uncharacteristic of Iowa football IMO.

We ARE good... we just made a helluva lot of mistakes today, which is uncharacteristic of Iowa football IMO.

This year, however, those mistake HAVE been characteristic of Iowa Football. We've been making them in every game this year. And the two good teams we've played (Wisconsin and Arizona) took advantage and beat us. And the other decent team (Michigan) took advantage and almost beat us.

I still think we've got a good team, good for maybe 10 wins (including the bowl). But not the team we thought we had.

This year, however, those mistake HAVE been characteristic of Iowa Football. We've been making them in every game this year. And the two good teams we've played (Wisconsin and Arizona) took advantage and beat us. And the other decent team (Michigan) took advantage and almost beat us.

I still think we've got a good team, good for maybe 10 wins (including the bowl). But not the team we thought we had.

No complaints from me there... except I don't consider one year to be "characteristic". No lies, we've been getting burned on our mistakes and we seriously need to clean this up.

No complaints from me there... except I don't consider one year to be "characteristic". No lies, we've been getting burned on our mistakes and we seriously need to clean this up.

I don't mean historically. But these kinds of mistakes have defined us through the first 7 games this year. That's uncharacteristic of the program, but it is characteristic of THIS YEAR'S team. It's really starting to feel a lot like 2005: good offense, defense suspect in one way or another, mistakes in the little things (Greenway's hit on Basanez STILL sticks out from that year to me). I don't remember the special teams being this sub-par, but Schlicher did not have his best year IIRC.

I don't mean historically. But these kinds of mistakes have defined us through the first 7 games this year. That's uncharacteristic of the program, but it is characteristic of THIS YEAR'S team. It's really starting to feel a lot like 2005: good offense, defense suspect in one way or another, mistakes in the little things (Greenway's hit on Basanez STILL sticks out from that year to me). I don't remember the special teams being this sub-par, but Schlicher did not have his best year IIRC.

once again, no complaints. we seem to be making quite a bit more critical mistakes this yea that are costing us big time.

Hyper-critical fan masquerading as realist. Nice job. Particularly after a close loss. Very thoughtful.

I've not been known to be hyper-critical, and I've been seeing problems all year, and some were on display tonight. Poor tackling was a big one for most of the year, particularly with Sash, though I will say I was thoroughly pleased with his improvement in that area this week.

But our special teams issues have not been cleaned up, though injuries and promotions (Tarp) have taken their toll. But that doesn't change the fact that the issues are STILL there, which makes it less likely that they will get cleaned up before a bowl game.

Latest posts