Weiskamp, Moss, Dailey

I have mixed feelings on Weiscamp. I agree with the posts that we do not want him to force his offensive game, and his all around game is very strong. That said, why can't we expect a super frosh everyone once in a while at Iowa? This kid came in heralded. I do not think it ridiculous to expect a Top 50 kid to average 12 a night as the season rolls on.

Especially if Fran plays Connor more and more (as I expect) and move JBO to the 2, we will need scoring from the 3 spot.

Maybe it should be changed to "perimeter players win in March." Other than Noah, all the players mentioned had the ability to play on the perimeter.

It doesn't seem like anymore you can win if you have 3 NBA level post players and are weak at the guard or perimeter spots. Those teams mentioned all had solid guard play. Not necessarily their strength but it's part of how they won.

I think it's pretty clear from Iowa's record last season that having only one consistently solid guard isnt a very good recipe for success. Can it probably be done, yes. But, you need at least solid guard play from more than one or 2 players every night.

The game has definitely transformed away from pure post player...no doubt about that. But if you can get a guy like Drummond, or Noah, or Ethan Happ...you take them and find a place for them. Locking down the paint and rebounding will always be a thing. I don't think the Badgers care that Happ can't shoot a 3.

Iowa's problem last year was defense. They were actually really good on offense if you look at the stats. I think Fran realized too late how awful they were at defense so tried to shove in a zone scheme in the middle of the season and it was a disaster. Hopefully the work they put in over the summer pays off.

Reactions: trj
The game has definitely transformed away from pure post player...no doubt about that. But if you can get a guy like Drummond, or Noah, or Ethan Happ...you take them and find a place for them. Locking down the paint and rebounding will always be a thing. I don't think the Badgers care that Happ can't shoot a 3.

Iowa's problem last year was defense. They were actually really good on offense if you look at the stats. I think Fran realized too late how awful they were at defense so tried to shove in a zone scheme in the middle of the season and it was a disaster. Hopefully the work they put in over the summer pays off.
I agree with that. I think no matter if your strength is guards or post you still need solid play at the other one. But I think you can get by having only a couple solid post players if they defend well. But only one or two guards that are solid is a tougher way to win unless you have one that is really good. See Peter Jok senior year.

I've been very high on Weiskamp since he was a HS soph. His play will be a little uneven this year, but, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up All B1G 1st team before his career is over. He's got a great all-around skill set, but, what really separates him apart is his mental make-up. He's not the kind to get rattled or be a shrinking violet, and he studies the game. Can't wait to watch his career unfold.

Dailey is the right kind of guy you can work into the rotation. Not a great player, but steady and dependable. Coaches love guys like that.

Moss is the same Moss. He still struggles mightily with on-ball defense and doesn't play with a competitive "edge." He'll go off from the perimeter at times, but, he's not starter material, IMO.

Yeah I know...I just think the whole "guards win in March" thing is completely overblown. Does Michigan get to the championship game without Mo Wagner last year? Does Sparty win the National Title without Mo Peterson? Does Wisconsin go anywhere without Kaminksy or Dekker? Does Syracuse win without Carmelo? Does Florida win back to back titles without Joakim Noah and Corey Brewer? Does Kentucky win a title without Anthony Davis.

There are so many examples both ways...those were just off the top of my head. You win with your best players..regardless of position.

With the exception of Noah everyone of those guys could stretch the floor with their shot. It is important that Garza can step out and hit a 3. It is important that Cook continue to develop his game other than around the rim.