Weight gains thus far

Clayborn is going to be freakish this year. I always feel selfish in wanting kids to come back for their Senior years...I think Bulaga definitely made the right decision to go pro...but Clayborn looks to be setting himself up for a huge payday.

Sounds like he's the odds on favorite to be the first DE taken next year and it seems to me like DE is a position that is highly valued in the NFL...seems like there's one taken in the top 10 if not top 5 every year.

I wonder if Ballard might try to lose some of that weight...it seems like that is a huge weight gain in a short time frame.

I know you meant to be funny but this does concern me. Ballards and Klugs advangtage was their quickness inside...I really hope they don't lose it with this weight gain.

Yeah, because our Strength and Conditioning coaches don't know what they're doing. :rolleyes:

I know you meant to be funny but this does concern me. Ballards and Klugs advangtage was their quickness inside...I really hope they don't lose it with this weight gain.

If only we had that person or several persons to monitor and watch and monitor such things. But alas we don't so all we can do is hope for the best.

I've also heard Jewel Hampton is up in the 300 range. It's probably all that TV watching he's been doing while away from football.

I am sure they are monitoring it but this wouldn't be the first time an athlete put on unwanted pounds in the offseason. The only one that was concerning to me was Ballard w/ the plus 26. That is a lot of bulk to be adding in 6 months. He did look great in the Orange Bowl so unless in the past 6 weeks he has put on the majority of that weight it is probably not a big deal.

These are the types of threads that form when Iowa bball sucks and we have nothing to talk about.

I heard Ballard has been training with Pat Williams and hopes to be 400 pounds by spring practice

These are the types of threads that form when Iowa bball sucks and we have nothing to talk about.

I heard Ballard has been training with Pat Williams and hopes to be 400 pounds by spring practice

C'mon...pat williams is only listed at 315.

The other thing to consider with Ballad is while he's probably in good shape now he's not in football shape. He's probably focused on gaining strenght and muscle mass at the expense of cardio. Even if he is 311 now its not uncommon for guys that size to drop 10-15 pounds in the course of a season. He could could realistically play at 290-295 and weigh 310-315 in the off season.

The other thing to consider with Ballad is while he's probably in good shape now he's not in football shape. He's probably focused on gaining strenght and muscle mass at the expense of cardio. Even if he is 311 now its not uncommon for guys that size to drop 10-15 pounds in the course of a season. He could could realistically play at 290-295 and weigh 310-315 in the off season.

That's a good point. A lot of guys will gain 15-20 pounds from the weight they played at the previous season, so that when they lose the 10 pounds that guys tend to lose in spring/fall practices/next season, they're only 10 pounds heavier than they were the previous season, which was what they wanted.

I too have been on the Doalized diet...and it is working great I bet I have put on 14 pounds this winter. Now if I could just get Doyleized.....If Clayborn doesn't get the biggest ovation ever at senior day next year it will be a travesty.

Good point. You can sweat off 10 pounds during the course of one August camp when you are that size.

I would also say that I never believed the listed weight for Clayborn last year. I bet he played at over 290 almost all year. He is a big man.

I heard Ballards weight at the Bowl game was 295. Remember, a lot of the listed weights are from last fall. It isnt updated very often. He may have been playing in the 290 area for part or most of the season.