Wegher to walk on at Nebby?

Being discussed as a way around the stipulation regarding scholarship.

Twitter

It's not a way around the stipulation, it is the stipulation. He can't go to any Big 10 schools (apparently they are considering Nebraska a Big 10 school, although they don't make the move officially until July 1st) unless he walks on. He can not receive a scholarship from any of the other 10 (11) schools.

Do you really think he will someday carry the ball against Iowa? I'd say it is still a looooong shot.

Umm, you do realize he carried the ball for us as a true freshman, no? Why is it a "loooooong shot"? The kid has talent and plenty of speed. There's no denying that.

Edit: So after reading it again, you're probably referring to just the whole process going through successfully. I took it as you questioning his ability like so many people have done in the past.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not worried about him. I think the long shot is that he ever finishes school. If he walks on at Nebraska good for him. I bet he never makes it past another season. We're probably better off not having him here. I'd rather move on.

Excellent I can not foresee how this does not come back to snakebite Iowa at some point down the road if he plays for Nebraska.

Let's not go too crazy over this.

#1. It hasn't happened yet
#2. Will it even be allowed to happen
#3. If it does so be it

Sure he is a good player but let's not make this to be that big of a deal if it even happens.

I also don't see how Osborne/Nebraska would want to do this being their first year in the Big 10 but who knows.

From the way this is said, "Kirk Ferentz says that Wegher couldn't accept a scholarship from NU" I wonder if this actually means that the Big10 wouldn't allow him to be on scholarship per their rules, or if he wouldn't be released to Nebraska. Because, if he were to enroll in January, I'm sure that there could be some appeals filed and I wouldn't bet against him being allowed to get that scholarship. Ferentz though, could just not release him to Nebraska as is common to do with future opponents. Maybe Ferentz has been in touch with the league office for clarification before this statement, but it just seems strange that he is the one making it rather than league officials.

I don't think Weger wants anything to do with going up agianst Iowa in the same division. That is painting a big black and gold target on his a$$. Why risk a cheap shot or two coming your way.

I don't think Weger wants anything to do with going up agianst Iowa in the same division. That is painting a big black and gold target on his a$$. Why risk a cheap shot or two coming your way.
Good point, also even if he did end up there, would'nt he have to sit out a year?

Good point, also even if he did end up there, would'nt he have to sit out a year?

He would and Nebby already has some good RBs including the #2 or 3 in the class out of Texas this year. maybe they want him in the slot. I still see him at USD

I have to ask...why the transfer? Is it to truly be closer to home, now that he has his own personal things to deal with there? Was it a falling out with the team, regarding his abrupt absence from this team (quite possibly when they needed him most)?

It seemed to me that Ferentz made it clear that even though Wegher wouldn't likely play this year, he was more than welcome back. Was this not the case by the end of the season?

Same goes with Hampton. A second season-ending injury, and a sudden transfer from the team, all at a time when drug use among Iowa players starts to be questioned. Hard not to be curious why players who were on the team, and seemingly didn't have any major issues, suddenly transfer out.

Increased competition between four young RBs and playing time would have been an issue, sure, but if history's shown us anything, there's no such thing as having 'too many' RBs at Iowa.

he's from a very well to do family here in sioux city, so the money isn't an problem with the no schollie clause. the question is if the kid can actually go through with it. outside of kaldenburg, not many question that he's talented. he doesn't have the greatest rep around, so who knows if nebby will want to deal with all of that either.

You guys make it sound like he is the second coming of Reggie Bush. Who cares, let him go over there, walk on, maybe walk off too. It isn't as if Iowa dissed him. He did it to himself.

Let's not go too crazy over this.

#1. It hasn't happened yet
#2. Will it even be allowed to happen
#3. If it does so be it

Sure he is a good player but let's not make this to be that big of a deal if it even happens.

I also don't see how Osborne/Nebraska would want to do this being their first year in the Big 10 but who knows.

Wanna bet???? Osborne isn't as squeaky clean as you might think. See some earlier threads about hiding weapons in desk drawers, etc.

I heard some fellas at the Jamba Juice in Evanston talking about some guy getting a full ride academic scholarship to Northwestern. I assume they were talking about Mr. Wegher, but I don't know for sure, so I will assume they were until I hear otherwise. Do the stipulations in the release prevent Mr. Wegher from receiving an academic scholarship? How sick would NU be with Wegher and Persa in the backfield?

I heard some fellas at the Jamba Juice in Evanston talking about some guy getting a full ride academic scholarship to Northwestern. I assume they were talking about Mr. Wegher, but I don't know for sure, so I will assume they were until I hear otherwise. Do the stipulations in the release prevent Mr. Wegher from receiving an academic scholarship? How sick would NU be with Wegher and Persa in the backfield?

Wegher's grades will prevent him from getting a full academic scholarship.

If he is going to Nebraska why did he leave Iowa? That doesn't get him close enough to home to make any daily difference.

Latest posts