Wegher & Ball Control

SoCalHawkI

If you rewatch the games, take a look at how Wegher has his hands on the ball - immediately AFTER he gets waylayed.

Perfect hand placement (index on the point) --I noticed it once after a big hit, then every big hit afterwards, it was the same. Then during some runs you could see he instinctively moved his other hand to protect.

---All of this makes his non-fumble fumble near the goal line that much stranger.

i think that is why he has struggled a little bit because he has been concious about ball security .....an not so much trying to be elusive ...just an observation.

Great observation. I can't recall where, but I read that Wegher has a "rib" injury. Perhaps getting smacked on side on that last run caused a momentary lapse of concentration. Not being critical of him at all... just sayin' bruised ribs getting hit hard could affect his grip I would think.

If you rewatch the games, take a look at how Wegher has his hands on the ball - immediately AFTER he gets waylayed.

Perfect hand placement (index on the point) --I noticed it once after a big hit, then every big hit afterwards, it was the same. Then during some runs you could see he instinctively moved his other hand to protect.

---All of this makes his non-fumble fumble near the goal line that much stranger.

Shows he has solid fundamentals taught early in his football upbringing, a good sign all other aspects of his Iowa career to come. Hometown bias disclosed, he will be a great Hawkeye!