Weather issue?

hawkeyewx

It had been expected to be sunny for most of the day in Ames, but a very persistent cluster of thunderstorms is approaching central Iowa as we approach game time. There appears to be a decent amount of lightning, so that could be a problem if they don't crap out soon.

What is it, for every lightning strike, you have to wait 30 minutes? So if there is lightning, and nothing happens for 20 minutes, but then another lightning strike, it resets the 30 minute clock I believe.

What is it, for every lightning strike, you have to wait 30 minutes? So if there is lightning, and nothing happens for 20 minutes, but then another lightning strike, it resets the 30 minute clock I believe.

Correct. A single lightning strike causes a 30 mi ute delay. If after 30 minutes no others happen play resumes, but if one happens at 29:59 the 30 minute clock restarts.

Right now radar has storms tracking into ames at about 330

If that’s how it works could be quite a delay. Because that radar don’t look good. Cell west of Ames working way in..

Live west of Ames. Didn’t see any lightning.

But it hurricaned And has large pea-size hail for 3-4 minutes.

They do something similiar in baseball. They will play for innings in a steady drizzle or mist, infield getting muddy, everything else. But once the tarp is down they won't pull it until the rain completely stops. The rain could let up to the same drizzle they were originally playing in, or less, and they still won't pull the tarp and resume the game.

Radar looks decent for now. There is a severe thunderstorm passing just south of Ames, but the cells to the west of Ames (moving east) have weakened.

Crap. This lightning delay must be from the cells well north of Ames. I didn't think those cells would affect the game. Unfortunately, there are now more cells popping 1-2 counties west of Ames, so this delay could be long.... or even very long.

There is a potent little cell moving over Ames. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of small hail. There is one more little cell west of this one, and that should be it.

There is a potent little cell moving over Ames. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of small hail. There is one more little cell west of this one, and that should be it.
There seems to be some kind of instability over central Iowa where new storms keep popping up. Hopefully no new storms develop.

64202757-9b3a-4d70-8c9e-ba85e1ddd383_text.gif

Latest posts