We only play OSU once over the next 5 seasons.

MrEHawk

Banned
That's a home game in 2017. It doesn't matter how good they are or how many titles they win in a row. It has little to no impact whatsoever on the Iowa program. This is the only positive thing about the conference expansion.

That's a home game in 2017. It doesn't matter how good they are or how many titles they win in a row. It has little to no impact whatsoever on the Iowa program. This is the only positive thing about the conference expansion.

I look at that as a blessing in many ways, not the least of which is it will give the next Iowa coach time to build a staff, recruit players and install a new strategy to be able to compete with what clearly will be the top B1G program for many years.

That is good news for us. Stinks to see OSU win yet again another title.....typically I think that makes things that much harder for Iowa. However, yes we don't play them much (ever assuming we play in the conference title game which with Kirk hanging around is unlikely) so we can avoid the shackling, or hard fought 1-17 point loss.

Valid point, but that is where transitive property plays into everything (because of conferences)....mainly perception, but also conference stats, etc...Iowa benefits by winning their games, and beating teams that either beat OSU, or ones that play them close. They will have several common opponents each year...it may not be perfect, but it does have an impact.

Valid point, but that is where transitive property plays into everything (because of conferences)....mainly perception, but also conference stats, etc...Iowa benefits by winning their games, and beating teams that either beat OSU, or ones that play them close. They will have several common opponents each year...it may not be perfect, but it does have an impact.
That doesn't even make sense. Impact for what? Who is comparing scores and for what purpose? To see who gets picked for the San Francisco Peanut Bowl?

This.

For anyone thinking that Ohio State winning the NC is a bad thing for Iowa's program, take a look at Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, and South Carolina. Each of these teams has benefited significantly from the national perception of the SEC.

This is really an opportunity for mid-level B10 teams to take some big strides forward. I just hope we take advantage of that opportunity.

With OSU looking strong for the foreseeable future and Michigan and PSU each back in the game due to recent coaching changes, nobody will be confusing the B10 for the MAC. We just need to make sure that we don't fall behind the other middling teams in the B10.

This. With OSU looking strong for the foreseeable future and Michigan and PSU each back in the game due to recent coaching changes, nobody will be confusing the B10 for the MAC. We just need to make sure that we don't fall behind the other middling teams in the B10.
We're already well behind those teams. We're so far away from competing in this conference that it's not even funny.

This.

For anyone thinking that Ohio State winning the NC is a bad thing for Iowa's program, take a look at Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, and South Carolina. Each of these teams has benefited significantly from the national perception of the SEC.

This is really an opportunity for mid-level B10 teams to take some big strides forward. I just hope we take advantage of that opportunity.

With OSU looking strong for the foreseeable future and Michigan and PSU each back in the game due to recent coaching changes, nobody will be confusing the B10 for the MAC. We just need to make sure that we don't fall behind the other middling teams in the B10.

Although maybe perception wise for the conference strength it can help Iowa.....I dream of the day (keep dreaming right) where Iowa can put this thing all together for once. They can't realistically do that if OSU, Michigan, Penn St, etc, are all juggernant programs at the same time. They may beat one of them....but I don't think they can beat all of them in the same season when they are exceptionally good. Even Chuck Long could not do it in his senior year. That is why I root against OSU and Michigan specifically. Unfortunately, OSU has not dropped off much over the years. Would have been nice in 2009-2010 if they were a bit weaker for when we played them.

So, yep it sucks Oregon lost tonight.

That doesn't even make sense. Impact for what? Who is comparing scores and for what purpose? To see who gets picked for the San Francisco Peanut Bowl?

Ever heard of perception? If you remotely follow college football, you would realize that it is a big deal for the conference as a whole. Just look at the SEC.

Perception is absolutely vital in college FB.

The BCS did nothing but perpetuate the SEC myth. Sports writers, coaches voting, computer....simply kept out very worthy teams from showing their wares.

The true playoff is blowing away the smoke of invincibility. BCS this year?...and OSU wouldn't have gotten a sniff at the champ game.

Well, if your definition of impact is NC or bust, then you are correct and your premise of impact doesn't matter at all, 'cause Iowa may in all likelyhood never sniff there again. While we all would love a NC, and desire that to be our foremost goal, with 120+ teams competing each year for that 1 distinction, there may be a few unhappy campers left in the cold. Fair enough, but I personally have the NFL for that mindset already.

However, fortunately for the Hawks, there are several other achievements to aim for as I know you are aware.... starting with Relevance (are we feared, do we have any "real" say in conference/national outcomes), B1G Championships, and Nat'l Rankings. I also like to consider the "brag factor" amongst my own circles of friends and relatives scattered across the country, which is measured by longest ****'s and sometimes, as you mentioned, scores and rankings.

For those things, yeah, OSU's clout carries some "impact". [And unfortunately all that doesn't mean jack for us until we get new coaches and recreate a winning attitude from the top down...but their (OSU) clout and winning ways ain't goin' no where anytime soon.]

Boat, I am thinking the same thing....thank God....OSU looked like they were on a mission last night......Iowa < OSU in so many ways, starting w/Meyer > Ferentz, and so on down the line....

O$u is lucky they don't have to play Iowa. They should have lost the game last year too. Iowa was leading for most of the game.

What about the recruiting and academic violations at o$u? Their a scumbag coach would have to leave. They would not be eligible for the championship game. And they would likely face scholarship limits. I hope that a thorough investigation is conducted this offseason. And that these harsh penalties and others are placed on them.

Although maybe perception wise for the conference strength it can help Iowa.....I dream of the day (keep dreaming right) where Iowa can put this thing all together for once. They can't realistically do that if OSU, Michigan, Penn St, etc, are all juggernant programs at the same time. They may beat one of them....but I don't think they can beat all of them in the same season when they are exceptionally good. Even Chuck Long could not do it in his senior year. That is why I root against OSU and Michigan specifically. Unfortunately, OSU has not dropped off much over the years. Would have been nice in 2009-2010 if they were a bit weaker for when we played them.

So, yep it sucks Oregon lost tonight.

It is pretty unlikely that Iowa has to play all three of OSU, Michigan, and Penn State in a single year given the current configuration of the B10 divisions.

Also, this is a weird mindset to me--Keep OSU down so that we can compete with them for irrelevance? To what end? To be the least irrelevant of the irrelevant teams?

No thanks. I'll go with the rising tide.

Iowa has competed at the top of the B10 in the past during times in which the B10 had a much better national reputation than it has had for the last 7 or 8 years. There is no reason to believe that Iowa cannot do that again when the new era starts.

Well, if your definition of impact is NC or bust, then you are correct and your premise of impact doesn't matter at all, 'cause Iowa may in all likelyhood never sniff there again. While we all would love a NC, and desire that to be our foremost goal, with 120+ teams competing each year for that 1 distinction, there may be a few unhappy campers left in the cold. Fair enough, but I personally have the NFL for that mindset already.

However, fortunately for the Hawks, there are several other achievements to aim for as I know you are aware.... starting with Relevance (are we feared, do we have any "real" say in conference/national outcomes), B1G Championships, and Nat'l Rankings. I also like to consider the "brag factor" amongst my own circles of friends and relatives scattered across the country, which is measured by longest ****'s and sometimes, as you mentioned, scores and rankings.

For those things, yeah, OSU's clout carries some "impact". [And unfortunately all that doesn't mean jack for us until we get new coaches and recreate a winning attitude from the top down...but their (OSU) clout and winning ways ain't goin' no where anytime soon.]

Yep, agreed. If the Big Ten earns a reputation nationally, that may provide some opportunities for Iowa.. But Iowa needs to go and seize that opportunity. It's moot point until the culture changes and our coaches and admins want Iowa sports to be "sexy".

It is pretty unlikely that Iowa has to play all three of OSU, Michigan, and Penn State in a single year given the current configuration of the B10 divisions.

Also, this is a weird mindset to me--Keep OSU down so that we can compete with them for irrelevance? To what end? To be the least irrelevant of the irrelevant teams?

No thanks. I'll go with the rising tide.

Iowa has competed at the top of the B10 in the past during times in which the B10 had a much better national reputation than it has had for the last 7 or 8 years. There is no reason to believe that Iowa cannot do that again when the new era starts.

If Iowa ever went unbeaten (LOL) they will likely be in the play-offs regardless of conference perception as the Big Ten will likely be good enough perception wise. Maybe not the best, but I would like to think a unbeaten Big Ten champion will get in. We may not play all 3 of them in the season with the new configuration, but I would still like to see those programs down when we are playing good ball. I shutter to think how we could beat OSU in the conference title game when they are playing at their best. OSU, Michigan, and Penn St being down is good for Iowa if they can do something with it.