We Need To Recruit Isolation Players

drew003

I see all these threads about late collapses, and whether it's poor toughness or coaching. But, really, I think it's because we lack isolation players, and with the exception of Marble have for sometime.

Groce didn't outcoach Fran on Thursday. He just isolated Nunn against Uthoff at the top of the key, and Nunn made an isolation move where he dribbled right at Jared and the pulled up from 15. That was simply a player who is good at isolating making a play.

Jok and Uthoff are both good scorers, but they are better offball scorers (catch and shoot, cuts, post ups) then isolation dribble guys. They both are apt to pass on end of clock isolation situations.

You are not going to win many games if you isolate the entire game, but there are times in games you need a player or two who can simply isolate his defender and get good shots. It's a skill set we haven't recruited very well, and need to start valuing more.

I definitely think Jok can do this and he did it a couple of times Thursday when he took one or two dribbles and went up to make a shot.

No, we need to recruit better players....and from outside the state of Iowa preferably, where they are usually proven to be too soft. For every one (1) that you will try and give me as an exception, I'll give you nine (9) to defuse that argument.

No, we need to recruit better players....and from outside the state of Iowa preferably, where they are usually proven to be too soft. For every one (1) that you will try and give me as an exception, I'll give you nine (9) to defuse that argument.

I disagree here. If Iowa recruited instate better they would be just fine. UNI's PG is from Iowa's own backyard. With him, Iowa is a completely different team. I won't argue your point about the instate players who are at Iowa that can't get the job done. But the problem isn't that the state doesn't have the basketball talent. The problem is Iowa just doesn't do a good job of identifying and recruiting the best players in the state.

This reminds me of the thread where the guy said we should recruit Woolridge/Lester type players instead of tall slow guys. Amazing strategy.

I disagree here. If Iowa recruited instate better they would be just fine. UNI's PG is from Iowa's own backyard. With him, Iowa is a completely different team. I won't argue your point about the instate players who are at Iowa that can't get the job done. But the problem isn't that the state doesn't have the basketball talent. The problem is Iowa just doesn't do a good job of identifying and recruiting the best players in the state.

This. Washpun and Paige are both in-state guys who would be the difference for this team. Let's also not forget that Iowa all but had Tyler Ulis before Kentucky swooped in late in the process.

This. Washpun and Paige are both in-state guys who would be the difference for this team. Let's also not forget that Iowa all but had Tyler Ulis before Kentucky swooped in late in the process.

Not that it matters but didn't Ulis end up saying that Michigan State was his second choice?

Interesting, Kansas another midwest school just won their 12 STRAIGHT conference title. They have 4 Kansas players on roster, Iowa has 8 Iowa players. How many schools do you consider be the blue bloods? Is Kansas just getting players for 12 straight years or does coaching really matter? Iowa with Fran will probably never get to NCAA Final 4. I think we have to be realistic and settle for average most of the time. Maybe good some years in conference when it is down. Nationally a top 25, 20-30 percent of time.

All of the stuff I read back at the time said it was Iowa until Kentucky came along. But it's irrelevant so I'm not going to bother looking for links, etc.

Edit - And Uhl was going to Temple...until he made his official announcement and said Iowa. No one really knows for sure with young kids...

Ulis was quoted saying he would have chosen MSU.

Jok
Uhl can isolate when matched up with opposing big men

Who else are ya thinkin?

Williams, Moss?

Potentially...Wagner, Jones, Moss, Williams, Jok, Uhl, Hutton and Baer could all isolate and take their man. But it really needs to be a player that can drive, pull up or hit a 3 so I will go with Jones, Moss, Williams, Jok, Uhl and Baer.

Latest posts