We need 1 more RB

Raziel

IMO. We probably have 5-6 schollies left to give (likely 5). DB is our greatest need, so I have to think 2 of them go there. Our 2nd greatest need is probably DL, so I'm guessing 1-2 of our remaining ships go there. That leaves 1-2 floaters. I'm guessing one of them goes to a RB.

Right now, we only have 4 scholarship RB's on the team, and that assumes that both Coe and McCall sign with us. Coe/McCall/Coker all seem to be a similar type back - they are more bruisers than speed guys (though I think all 3 are probably more deceptively fast then they appear). DeAndre Johnson is kind of an unknown. There was some positive buzz about him during last seasons spring game, but I haven't heard much since. He may be the "scat back" we're looking for, however, the fact that he had an ACL repaired, coupled with Iowa's history of attrition at RB, have me more than a little bit concerned that he may be a liability from a health stand point.

If DJ goes down, we lose our only possible option for a change of pace back. Torrey Campbell may be an option, but we are seriously lacking depth at DB right now, and my understanding is that the coaches are pretty excited about his potential at DB.

My opinion is that we probably need to take one guy that could qualify for the change of pace back in the backfield in 2011. I'm not sure who it will be, the RB's that we pursued early are all committed at this point, but I think we get one RB recruit that kind of comes out of the blue. The RB may be our Micah Hyde/Anthony Hitchens type recruit this year.

One candidate that I am intrigued by is Ryan Brumfield. This kid is a 3 time all state RB out in PA. His highlights look good, and he looks fast. I can't figure out why the kids only offer appears to be Buffalo, because he looks like a pretty good player. He is small (5'10" 180 Lbs), but that would be an asset considering the role he'd be playing in the Iowa backfield. I suspect there may be an off the field/grades issue with him, as I have to think he would have gotten an offer from someone by now if that wasn't the case.

I'm unsure of his level of competition, so that may be an issue. Further, we had interest in him back in February, so our coaches know about him. I for one would like to see him get an offer, as his style appears to compliment our current stable of bruisers very well.

His info is below:

Ryan Brumfield - Yahoo! Sports

Scout.com: Ryan Brumfield Profile

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_H7S5muK18]YouTube - Ryan Brumfield Senior Highlights[/ame]

I'd really like to see us finish out this class with two DB's, one DL, one change of pace back, and then the final scholly can go to a DL (Simmons/Cooper hopefully). If CyKo decides he wants to come here (I'm skeptical of that), we can afford to take 26.

Anyone else have any under the radar RB recruits that fit the change of pace mold? I really think that is a great need for this team, because I'm just not comfortable with only 4 scholarship RB's...I know that would sound ridiculous to most non-Iowa fans, but given our history at that position, it should be apparent that you can never have too many RB's on the roster, especially given the fact that we'll be pretty young at that position this year.

I think that we need more D-linemen and Dbs.
If we cannot hope to get thru the season with Coker,Rogers,Johnson,Coe and McCall at rb, then we are screwed. To me, we have 5 guys that can take the ball,and one of these years we are due to not lose 4-5 rbs to injury. Other teams go years without losing a rb,like MSU.

DeAndre Johnson is the perfect speed back to complement Coker. McCall is also fast enough and Coe is the complement to him as a big back.

And of course, next year we will add a couple more.
As it stands we will have Coker and Rogers as sophs,and Coe,McCall and Johnson as frosh. If we keep adding backs at the same rate, by Cokers senior year we will have 10 of our 85 schollys tied up in rbs....too many.

Campbell will not be moved to running back. He has the potential to be a very good CB. Campbell will go down as one of the best players in his class.

I think that we need more D-linemen and Dbs.
If we cannot hope to get thru the season with Coker,Rogers,Johnson,Coe and McCall at rb, then we are screwed. To me, we have 5 guys that can take the ball,and one of these years we are due to not lose 4-5 rbs to injury. Other teams go years without losing a rb,like MSU.

DeAndre Johnson is the perfect speed back to complement Coker. McCall is also fast enough and Coe is the complement to him as a big back.

And of course, next year we will add a couple more.
As it stands we will have Coker and Rogers as sophs,and Coe,McCall and Johnson as frosh. If we keep adding backs at the same rate, by Cokers senior year we will have 10 of our 85 schollys tied up in rbs....too many.

Do we know for sure yet that Rogers can come back?

if the kid is good and has no offers it could be grades or character.......could be a great find but I doubt it. Could be some other issue but something is there or this kid would have some offers.

if the kid is good and has no offers it could be grades or character.......could be a great find but I doubt it. Could be some other issue but something is there or this kid would have some offers.

I'm hoping its grades...if that is the case, we've been able to take a kid late that may be an academic liability (Stephane Ngoomou)(sp?) comes to mind.

He looks like he has some real skills.

I'm hoping its grades...if that is the case, we've been able to take a kid late that may be an academic liability (Stephane Ngoomou)(sp?) comes to mind.

He looks like he has some real skills.

That's great since we wasted to schollies on him and he never made it to Iowa. I have said before give Pitts the option to be a RB, and if it doesnt' work out he can move to DB. I hope that Rogers is ok, but he won't be back at RB.

That's great since we wasted to schollies on him and he never made it to Iowa. I have said before give Pitts the option to be a RB, and if it doesnt' work out he can move to DB. I hope that Rogers is ok, but he won't be back at RB.

"Waste" is an entirely incorrect word. The scholarship just goes unused, which is then able to give to a kid in the next class.

Unless you have a major need where you can use a scholarship on a player that will come in and make an impact right away, there is a definite advantage to taking a risk on a player with a lot of potential that may not qualify.

It is a risk/reward model, but if you don't need someone immediately, it can pay off big time for you.

Further, Carl Davis was a guy that we ended up getting last year because he had some questionable test scores.

Other schools held off recruiting him due to that fact, but we pursued him hard, and it ended up paying off in the end. It was entirely possible last year that Davis may not have qualified, but the coaches took a risk on him, and it paid off.

Just updating some info I found on Ryan Brumfield, according to the article below, he has a 3.0 GPA, so grades probably aren't the issue.

Brumfield baffled by lack of football offers - MaxPreps News

Further, you need to check out this kids video on ESPN...its pretty darn impressive:

Ryan Brumfield - ESPN Video - ESPN

Here is a youtube clip, but the youtube video isn't as impressive as the ESPN video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_H7S5muK18]YouTube - Ryan Brumfield Senior Highlights[/ame]

The kid appears to be an all around great athlete, who appears to have good grades. Even if he doesn't work out at RB, I'm sure we could find a spot for him.

One obvious knock (on his ESPN profile) is that he is listed at 5'9" 156 LBS. He'd obviously need to put on at least 20 pounds to even be considered a change of pace back in the Big Ten if that is his true size (and that is probably the reason no one is offering him), however, watching is videos, it is apparent that this kid has some hella impressive ball skills. I really hope the coaches are still aware of this kid....I'm really hoping he might be the "one out of left field" recruit that we pick up this season.

Also, I'd add that on a PSU message board a frequent, a number of posters said this kid has legit sub 4.5 speed....its been a long time since we've had that kind of speed at RB (heck, I don't ever remember having that much speed at RB), and watching his videos, it is apparent that he can change direction without losing speed.

I can see the logic of thinking that we "need" one more RB. However, I don't see what good having another TR FR RB would do for us. I highly doubt that we'd find another that would be much more "game ready" than the two others we've already recruited.

Besides, in a pinch, White can play RB ... and Rogers is more than capable if his health is a "go."

I know that some folks might claim that we need "change of pace" options at RB ... but, compared to Coker, I'd argue that guys like Johnson and McCall more than provide an adequate "change of pace."

Lastly, our pegged starter in 2011 is going to only be a TR SO!!! Would it NOT be wiser to attempt to stagger out our depth at RB a little bit more?

I don't see the need of a "change of pace" running back. Who was the change of pace running back for Shonn Greene, Sedrick Shaw, Ladell Betts, Tavian Banks, Nick Bell, etc. Switching running backs in and out takes the back out of the flow of the game, with a good off season conditioning program Coker will be able to go four quarters. We need to focus on db's, the d-line and CK (I know we don't have a great chance at landing him).

I see on twitter Ferentz, Johnson, and Erb visited Remound Wright III for 6 hours today. He said it was fun and and that Ferentz is a really great guy. Says he's coming to visit in 2 weekends (next week?).

Scout.com: Remound Wright Profile

Remound Wright - Yahoo! Sports

I wouldn't cry if one of the guys we landed were Remound Wright III. However, I'd also not want us to land such a guy if he weren't open to possible future position changes.

Wright certainly "fits the bill" with respect to providing a change-of-pace ... however, he also projects nicely at CB. The question is whether his recruitment could possibly alienate any of our other RB commits.

Latest posts