We Haven't Seen CJ's Best Game Passing the ball

When was the last game with good weather? Seems like they have been windy, cold or rainy ever since NW.

That was the last game with optimal weather...and Beat Hard was suffering his worst injuries then.

Weather for MN was pretty decent, maybe a little cold

How do you know the receivers arent slowing down just a half stride on some of these long balls. I have heard TV guys and Podolak say the receivers are sometimes slowing up a bit or hesitating so I am not laying this all on CJ.

I have confidence that CJ will continue to see the soft spots in the defense. The MSU front four is tough but you still have to try to gouge them with the run. But CJ has been schooled to look for the 8th man in the box and try to hit a receiver on a slant, or fade or whatever. The receivers have had some trouble getting separation again this year and yet Cj has hit them in tight coverage.

CJ injury + Smith injury + crappy weather = underwhelming vertical game.

Indy indoors + Smith healthy + CJ healthy-er + a suspect MSU defensive backfield = exciting potential.

That one to Vandeberg vs. ISU was probably 30+ yards. The one to McCarron for a TD was probably 25 yards, IIRC.

I agree with you for the most part though, that he has overthrown guys quite a bit, but do you remember last season? Those balls were UNDERthrown instead. So I'd rather him overthrowing guys vs. having a candy arm and not even being able to get it there.

except the underthrown balls get caught while the overthrown balls don't.

I think there's definitely potential to be better in the passing game being indoors and such. (Same will be true for MSU on the other side.) It will be critical to soften up their defense with the passing game if we want to be successful running the ball. Same formula for Iowa's offense for a long time. We always think of the run setting up the pass, but I would contend that we need to pass to set up the run.

CJ injury + Smith injury + crappy weather = underwhelming vertical game.

Indy indoors + Smith healthy + CJ healthy-er + a suspect MSU defensive backfield = exciting potential.

This basically sums it up.

Personally, I hope the Hawks start out on offense by opening it up and passing. Hit a couple quick passes to Smith, Vandy, or the TE's. Maybe take a shot deep. Get the passing game going in order to open up the run.

I have a bad feeling if they start out trying to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down then they are just going to waste a couple possessions on 3 and outs. MSU's defensive line is no joke and the only way the Hawks will run successfully on them on early downs is if they unclog the box by making them respect the pass.

Greg Davis has done a pretty damn good job this season. I don't think he gets enough credit. He's had a lot of variables that he needs to take into account each game. Between injuries to different key players and position groups and the weather he's balanced everything very well. He has scratched where it itches. Let's hope that continues.

I agree CJ needs to have a good game and the RB's also however we all know that it takes more than that to win a game.Everyone has to have the game of their life,all hands on deck.Gonna need all three phases playing well to win,it's going to take more than 21 pts.to win this game.All ready getting pumped up for the game,let's kick sparty's butt.We win 31-24

Even a missed open guy is good with this team. All we need is to instill fear that we could hit one on then and we could gash them. If we connect on a deep ball we got 'em, it's over for their defense.

CJ has a big arm. The Smiths are dangerous. In a dome environment, without wind or cold, is it time to go vertical? MSU looks vulnerable to the pass....I witnessed the Michigan v. MSU game, and Rudock had guys open all over the field. Pass the ball, Hawks!!

Correct, as good as Casey junior is, we haven't seen his best passing game yet, not even close. Dome conditions, big time stage, I could see a big big game from him.

CJ has a big arm. The Smiths are dangerous. In a dome environment, without wind or cold, is it time to go vertical? MSU looks vulnerable to the pass....I witnessed the Michigan v. MSU game, and Rudock had guys open all over the field. Pass the ball, Hawks!!

I think we waited till the 4th quarter to go deep. Can someone confirm or deny that for me?

Latest posts