We can still win the division

If the following occurs, we win the division:

1. Iowa wins out against Michigan and Nebraska to finish 5-3 in the conference and 4-1 in the division.
2. MSU loses at Nebraska, at Northwestern and home to Minnesota to finish 5-3 in the conference and 2-3 in the division.
3. Nebraska beats MSU and loses at Penn State and home to Iowa to finish 5-3 in the conference and 3-2 in the division.
4. Minnesota loses to Wisconsin and beats Michigan State to finish 5-3 in the conference and 3-2 in the division.

Under this scenario, the first tie break is head to head record against the other teams. Iowa would be 2-1, MSU would be 1-2, Nebraska would be 1-2 and Minnesota would be 2-1. This leaves Iowa and Minnesota. Now, I'm not sure if they go to the 2nd tie breaker which is division record or if they see what the head to head is after eliminating Nebraska and MSU. But under either case, Iowa would be the Legends Division representative in the title game because they were 1-0 against Minnesota AND they have the better division record.

Now we know who to root for in which games.

Go Hawks!

I found this. I'm not sure if it's how the OP was constructed by I'll post it anyway:

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

1. If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
2. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
a. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other
b. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division
c. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, and 6)
d. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
e. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship
f. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative
g. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

Big Ten Conference Football Divisional Tiebreaker - BIG TEN CONFERENCE Official Athletic Site

Nice try, but this is hardly "June" in the context of the divisional race. There are only 2 games left, 1/6th of the season. In baseball context, that would be only 25 games left. If the Cubs were still in contention with 25 games left, that'd certainly be something for them to root for. But because you hate Ferentz, you'd rather just assume that we have no chance.

Good for you.

good stuff there.

Even though there is about a .0001% chance of this happening it still makes it fun to root for certain teams, especially with the Hawks being off this week.

Also, if this were to happen it would cause numerous head explosions around here from all the KF haters.

It would cause numerous head explosions around here from EVERYBODY. But I'm not sure I want to play O$U again...

Another side note: doesn't it **** you guys off that Minnesota will probably get a better bowl than Iowa?

Why should it? They've done a great job since losing at Michigan. It's pretty much a feel-good story for a B1G season, since O$U will either not make the BCS Championship game, or get smoked by FSU or Alabama if they DO make it.

Why should it? They've done a great job since losing at Michigan. It's pretty much a feel-good story for a B1G season, since O$U will either not make the BCS Championship game, or get smoked by FSU or Alabama if they DO make it.

Who would ever 'feel good' about the goofs? Those irrelevant fools that we handled....

I root for Iowa to get to the Rose Bowl and do not let any rivalry get in the way, Nebby or Minny, or even NW. Let them all beat MSU and allow Iowa a second shot at OSU...fine by me. I like our chances vs Stanford in the Rose Bowl....a smash-mouth affair, but Iowa's d-line is tougher than Oregons.

When one of those idiot husker fans says anything just ask them about the 70+ points they gave up the in the b1g championship game last year

Or better yet, laugh in their face and say "Northwestern has really owned you guys but some how you sucked out 2 wins against them"

And then followup and say "what's it like to play in a tough conference that actually plays some defense"

What do u expect them to apologize for it?

I root for Iowa to get to the Rose Bowl and do not let any rivalry get in the way, Nebby or Minny, or even NW. Let them all beat MSU and allow Iowa a second shot at OSU...fine by me. I like our chances vs Stanford in the Rose Bowl....a smash-mouth affair, but Iowa's d-line is tougher than Oregons.

Boy, have you completely lost your ever loving mind? You like our chances against Stanford? In the Rose Bowl? What? We lost to NIU on our home field but you like our chances against a top 5 team in their backyard? Wow! I love kool aid drinkers but this made me laugh out loud.

Who would ever 'feel good' about the goofs? Those irrelevant fools that we handled....

Note that I didn't say "I" feel good about it, but why should I care that Minnesota might get a better bowl? They earned it if that should end up being the case.

Boy, have you completely lost your ever loving mind? You like our chances against Stanford? In the Rose Bowl? What? We lost to NIU on our home field but you like our chances against a top 5 team in their backyard? Wow! I love kool aid drinkers but this made me laugh out loud.

Stanford lost to Utah, who is around .500....and not ranked #16th in the country like NIU. Every game is a new day.

I did further calculations bases on masseyratings. The odds of every outcome going the way it needs to go is 0.165551% So there is still a fighters chance. The msu criminal thugs are weighing down the odds the most according to masseyratings. Exclude them losing out and Iowa has a 12.31776% chance of winning the division. After that all they have to do is beat the osu cheaters and they are smelling roses Jan 1!

Cubs fans know how to do this kind of math. They have complex models to identify when in June they become mathematically out of the race.
I usually count the Cubs out in May, but I'm pessimistic, I've been cheering for the Cubs for a long time, so I understand how it's going to end most years.

I did further calculations bases on masseyratings. The odds of every outcome going the way it needs to go is 0.165551% So there is still a fighters chance. The msu criminal thugs are weighing down the odds the most according to masseyratings. Exclude them losing out and Iowa has a 12.31776% chance of winning the division. After that all they have to do is beat the osu cheaters and they are smelling roses Jan 1!

You are taking this way too seriously.

Latest posts