WBB add top recruit (not Stokes)

Ronco

Samantha Logic, a 5-foot-9 all-state guard from Racine Case, has committed to play her college basketball at Iowa.
Logic originally was the top recruiting target for the University of Wisconsin, but she informed the UW coaches earlier this summer that she had eliminated Wisconsin from her list.
That list grew over the summer as Logic, playing for the Illinois-based Midwest Elite AAU team, became one of the hottest players on the summer circuit.* She went from being unranked at the start of the summer by ESPN's HoopGurlz to No. 10 nationally at the end of the summer showcases.
Logic, who averaged 15.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 7.8 assists and 4.4 steals in leading Case to the WIAA state tournament, narrowed her final four schools to Stanford, Vanderbilt, Marquette and Iowa.

Samantha Logic, a 5-foot-9 all-state guard from Racine Case, has committed to play her college basketball at Iowa.
Logic originally was the top recruiting target for the University of Wisconsin, but she informed the UW coaches earlier this summer that she had eliminated Wisconsin from her list.
That list grew over the summer as Logic, playing for the Illinois-based Midwest Elite AAU team, became one of the hottest players on the summer circuit.* She went from being unranked at the start of the summer by ESPN's HoopGurlz to No. 10 nationally at the end of the summer showcases.
Logic, who averaged 15.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 7.8 assists and 4.4 steals in leading Case to the WIAA state tournament, narrowed her final four schools to Stanford, Vanderbilt, Marquette and Iowa.

Wow, that's a great get for Coach Bluder's bunch.

"The best basketball player in the state in the class of 2011, hands down, is Sam Logic," said Waring, who counts Logic among his pupils. "You're basically looking at the female version of Larry Bird. This kid is special. She has the best basketball IQ of any kid I've ever worked with, and I've been doing this for 14 years."

This is a big get for Bluder and co. After a great finish last season the future looks even better. Gonna be fun to watch!

wow! iowa WB is on the upswing, I'm guessing.

i think that this will also help in getting Stokes.

when i posted this to this thread, I was assuming that Stokes was a higher rated player than Logic. It is just the opposite - as I just discovered. Logic is a #10 nationally rated recruit, and Stokes is #42 (from latest top 100 rankings posted in this thread). They also already have another top 100 player in this class. If Stokes verbals - would make 3 top 100 players in one recruiting class.....wow!!

Stokes will end up at UConn or Tennessee, she is that good and is being actively recruited by both. It would be awfully hard to say no to either one of them given their credentials. Virginia Johnson is the other player who has verballed, this was a no-brainer, she always wanted to play for Iowa and it's home.

I hope stokes goes a lot better than Taylor Greenfield.

Stokes is a forward/center, Greenfield is a guard, can't really compare them since they don't play the same position. Greenfield is actually ranked higher in the class than Stokes.

Stokes is a forward/center, Greenfield is a guard, can't really compare them since they don't play the same position. Greenfield is actually ranked higher in the class than Stokes.

I'm not trying to compare them. Both are highly ranked players from Iowa. One went to Stanford, the other we still have a shot with. All i was saying is that I hope we can land Stokes unlike Greenfield.

I'm not trying to compare them. Both are highly ranked players from Iowa. One went to Stanford, the other we still have a shot with. All i was saying is that I hope we can land Stokes unlike Greenfield.

Greenfield went to Stanford for the academics, although you have to wonder if she had in the back of her mind the pressure that would be on her to take ISU to the next level as the hometown star, some kids thrive on this (Tim Dwight, Nate Kaeding), and others don't want that pressure. Kiah mentions that same pressure in the article in the Gazette. It looks like she is going to take five visits, and has six schools listed. Does this mean, she doesn't need an official at Iowa because she knows the campus, team, coaches, etc. or does she drop one of her six. I still have a gut feeling it's UConn or Tennessee.

Kiah Stokes still has Iowa on her short list | GazetteOnline.com

Stokes will end up at UConn or Tennessee, she is that good and is being actively recruited by both. It would be awfully hard to say no to either one of them given their credentials. Virginia Johnson is the other player who has verballed, this was a no-brainer, she always wanted to play for Iowa and it's home.

'she is that good'......Logic apparently is that good or better given the player rankings.....and she ended up at Iowa.....with offers including Stanford - not exactly chopped liver in the woman's bb realm.......

Greenfield went to Stanford for the academics, although you have to wonder if she had in the back of her mind the pressure that would be on her to take ISU to the next level as the hometown star, some kids thrive on this (Tim Dwight, Nate Kaeding), and others don't want that pressure.
Taylor Greenfield is NOT from Ames. She is from Huxley, played HS ball for Ballard-Huxley. Close, no cigar. And it isn't a safe assumption that she would have gone to Moo U if she had stayed closer to home. A lot of indications that Bluder is more the kind of coach that she was looking for than Fennelly.

Most of all, don't discount the other reasons besides academics that make Stanford hugely attractive (and I'm not talking about the milieu or the environment): Stanford is as likely as anyone, and probably more so, to win the women's NCAA next April--and it will be a powerhouse for the next four, five years minimum. Greenfield is very good--but nonetheless she may be taking a huge risk going where she will have to compete at her position for playing time with several of the most highly regarded prospects of this and the past two years.

No, Greenfield is NOT more highly rated than Stokes. Except by ESPN, which notoriously is not considered to be authoritative in rating womens hoops.
As for those whose opinions actually MATTER, the coaches of UConn, Tennessee, Maryland, Duke, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, Rutgers, Baylor, Oklahoma (in other words, the coaches of the top programs in the nation) made their way to Iowa not so much to watch Kiah Stokes play as to be certain that Kiah knew that they want her enough to make the trip.

I'm ecstatic that Samantha Logic committed to Iowa. But I also realize that ESPN jumped her from being a nothing to #10 in their ranking on the basis of her AAU summer play. She became the trendy sensation of the moment, and ESPN remains constantly desperate to show they are hip.
Not that they have any expertise that you wouldn't expect to find from the reasonably informed fan sitting on the bar stool next to you.

There is NO WAY that Logic was/is the makr-or-break the recruiting class prospect that Kiah Stokes is. It is why Bill A., Pat Summitt, and every coach is the country want her as the prize in their recruiting class.

Incidentally, Logic & Virginia Johnson are not the only two top 50/top 75/top 100 recruits likely to be in the 2011 Hawkeye class (apart from Kiah Stokes). Wing F/G Mariah Smith,6-1, Peoria Richwood, IL (on campus visit to Iowa City this weekend) is another top 50 player in the national ratings, and a likely commit to Bluder before the November signing period. The only reason Kathryn Reynolds is not on the top prospects lists any more is because she missed her entire Junior season, and was still recuperating over the summer (before the ACL injury, the Cincy Notre Dame PG as a freshman & sophomore took her team to consecutive Ohio state championships--and even after three starters had graduated, she was the reason Notre Dame was picked pre-season to repeat as champions.

Add Stokes & Smith to Johnson, Logic & Reynolds and the 2011 Hawkeye women would/will be the best recruiting class in the Big Ten in a decade (joining a team of freshmen, sophs & Jr Kash Alexander that was cheated out of the BTT championship this past year--cheated is the only accurate word for it, even the BT officials admit it--AND Thierra Taylor,considered the best of a strong freshman class (that included BT FOY Jame Printy) who missed nearly the entire season.

Indeed, with Stokes & Smith aboard, this arguably could be the best recruiting class in the nation--and with Taylor, Printy, Wahlin, Morgan Johnson, et al could propel the Hawkeyes into national prominence.

Last edited:

Latest posts