Way Too Eariy .. ..

Oughtta motivate the team being under rated as usual..............like the fact we are #1 of BIG teams

Fran is going to need to be a magic man to manage all these guys, namely convincing a lot of these freshman to either redshirt or not expect to play much at all. It’s not the worst problem in the world, but something to watch out for for sure, especially considering Fran’s prior tendencies to play a long bench.

Long offseason ahead I guess, it’s possible we see some departures.

I think we can all see the potential for this group though, and even the national pundits see it as well. It’s very exciting to think about.

Somehow, someway, they will blow it. But, it is nice to see people thinking nicely of us. Sure would be nice to get a Sweet 16 next year though.

A couple things that interest me.

-Nunge. Despite being at Iowa for 3 years he’s still somewhat of a mystery man. He started a couple games as a freshman in front of Garza, and also alongside Cook and Garza. Before injury he started this year at the 4. Is it safe to say he’s better than Kriener? How good can he be? He’s 7’ tall and I think actually has better footspeed than Garza, Kriener, and Pemsl. He has a pretty good looking outside shot as well. Don’t know what to expect but it’s quite possible he can be pretty good.

-Pat McCaffery. He’s a former top 100 recruit with a full college season of training under his belt. He’s a pretty unique player with his size and skill set. I know Garza and Wieskamp specifically said how well he was playing in practice leading up to the season. He could be a pretty high level bench piece.

-Toussaint. I’ve mentioned this in other threads but to me he’s the guy who can make the biggest leap. He had a lot of really good moments this year and his jump shot looked to be coming around at the end of the year. I really think he can take it to the next level we will see if he does.

If those three guys play up to levels I think is possible, this could go from being a really good team to a great team.

-Nunge. Despite being at Iowa for 3 years he’s still somewhat of a mystery man. He started a couple games as a freshman in front of Garza, and also alongside Cook and Garza. Before injury he started this year at the 4. Is it safe to say he’s better than Kriener? How good can he be? He’s 7’ tall and I think actually has better footspeed than Garza, Kriener, and Pemsl. He has a pretty good looking outside shot as well. Don’t know what to expect but it’s quite possible he can be pretty good.

-Pat McCaffery. He’s a former top 100 recruit with a full college season of training under his belt. He’s a pretty unique player with his size and skill set. I know Garza and Wieskamp specifically said how well he was playing in practice leading up to the season. He could be a pretty high level bench piece.

-Toussaint. I’ve mentioned this in other threads but to me he’s the guy who can make the biggest leap. He had a lot of really good moments this year and his jump shot looked to be coming around at the end of the year. I really think he can take it to the next level we will see if he does.

If those three guys play up to levels I think is possible, this could go from being a really good team to a great team.

Will be interesting who Fran trusts running the offense late in close games.

I'm gunna assume Bohannon and Connor will for sure be on the court. I think Joe T will have to wait another year before he closes games. By then I have a feeling he's gunna be pretty good at it.

That's where JT needs to improve protect the ball, Earn Fran's confidence
Gotta be Jbo in there at that point I imagine. Can shoot it from anywhere, super clutch, and not a big turnover guy. Plus he’s elite on free throws.

Can do a little O to D subbing if the opportunity presents itself and Joe T can help with ballhandling if we have the lead as well. Joe T’s free throw shooting this year was very impressive so that helps.

I just don't know what we have with Nunge. His first couple games he didn't look good at all but then started showing some signs right before the injury.

Pat looked outmatched physically the few games he was out there so hope he can add 5 or 10 lbs.

Hard to not be excited about this team. The fact they are HARD-WORKING is important. Maximize their talent, and not 'rest' on any accolades.

I just don't know what we have with Nunge. His first couple games he didn't look good at all but then started showing some signs right before the injury.

Pat looked outmatched physically the few games he was out there so hope he can add 5 or 10 lbs.
Agreed we don’t really know on Nunge, but like I said it’s interesting that he was the starter this year before injury and started some games as a freshman as well. He must have shown something in practice to earn that spot. We will see how he recovers from the injury though, that’s a wildcard as well.

The thing with Pat and potential physical shortcomings is I don’t think we are going to be asking him to be a big minute player. Iowa plays a good amount of zone and some press which decreases the physical banging he would need to do. Certain situations come in and effect the game with some energy off the bench. Again, he was a top 100 recruit, I’m higher on him than most but we will see what happens.

Pat will be asked to play the 3 given the post players we have. Hell, Connor will play the 4 before Pat. Pat is plenty thick enough to play most 3s in this league. Our 3 is Weiscamp. If Patrick is able to get his health in order, I could see him vying for the 6th man role. He brings a lot to the table on both ends of the court.

I think Joe T is in the same position as Connor was a year ago. If he can raise his 3 point shooting to just dangerous, like 30%, he will be hard to keep off the court. He is nails on defense (although he fouls a bit too much), and his quickness is beyond elite on offense. I think we can all expect he will take a normal jump between freshmen and sophomore year as far as being better with the BB and allowing the game to come to him. But, unless his man has to come out to guard him at the 3-point line, he is not much of an offensive threat.

I could see him getting 15-20 minutes spelling Jordan, with Jordan getting 28+ with some time at the 2.

At the end of games, Jordan will be on the court though.

A lot of "Ifs" here.

Obviously the biggest if is whether Garza returns. That's a huge unknown and a complete game-changer.

I can't imagine that Wieskamp doesn't return. This season had to be a bit of a wake-up call for him if he has any aspirations of playing at the next level. He needs a dose of the "Garza self-motivation pill" in a big way.

As others have stated, Nunge is the X-factor. The skillset is there. The question is whether or not he has that inner drive and killer instinct. Personally, I'll be surprised if he ever becomes a consistent impact player. My expectation is that he will flash at times and have the occasional big game to get fans excited, but will generally be a 10/6 kind of guy when it's all said and done. That stat line is fine but not ideal when you look at his potential.

I wouldn't expect much out of Patrick next season. Realistically, I think we are looking at the following season before we see his true potential. He'll be an off the bench guy feeling his way next year.

Last edited:
-Pat McCaffery. He’s a former top 100 recruit with a full college season of training under his belt.

Is this true? Curious to learn about his progression and what he's been up to while on the "DL", so to speak. Fair to say this has been a productive time for him, while not playing? I was (maybe mistakenly) under the impression that his stepping back from the active roster was a scary sign of his health and long term prospects. Sure hope I'm wrong, for his sake.