watching the orange bowl

travismullen

i decided to watch the orange bowl this evening. right away i was reminded how good this team was last year, which i found very encouraging in regards to how good the team could be this year.
a few things that jumped out to me while watching:
-wegher played very well for a freshman. i think sometimes we "forget" that he was only a freshman last year. the added strength and experience he'll have this year should make him a real contender for significant playing time, even though hampton will be back.
-stanzi IS the manzi. all of the interceptions were a real smudge on the impression he left with us last year. if he can cut those in half (or more) this year and has had some growth as a player, which i assume he has, we are going to have fun watching him.
-clayborn. enough said.
-iowa runs a killer play option. rick and wegher sell it well and i think that the ground and air game could be equally hard hitting to defenses this season. i think marvin and djk (davis and sandeman, too! geesh!) are going to be showing up in the dreams/nightmares of other teams' defense for weeks after playing iowa.
all this, and i'm only at the end of the 1st quarter!

Last edited:
i decided to watch the orange bowl this evening. right away i was reminded how good this team was last year, which i found very encouraging in regards to how good the team could be this year.
a few things that jumped out to me while watching:
-wegher played very well for a freshman. i think sometimes we "forget" that he was only a freshman last year. the added strength and experience he'll have this year should make him a real contender for significant playing time, even though hampton will be back.
-stanzi IS the manzi. all of the interceptions were a real smudge on the impression he left with us last year. if he can cut those in half (or more) this year and has had some growth as a player, which i assume he has, we are going to have fun watching him.
-clayborn. enough said.
-iowa runs a killer play option. rick and wegher sell it well and i think that the ground and air game could be equally hard hitting to defenses this season. i think marvin and djk (davis and sandeman, too! geesh!) are going to be showing up in other teams' defense for weeks after playing iowa.
all this, and i'm only at the end of the 1st quarter!

Not only did he play well for a Freshman, he wasn't even 100% healthy for most of the latter half of the year. I don't really remember what his health status was for the OB, but still... A stronger, faster, healthy & more confident/more experienced BW? Sounds good to me.

Not only did he play well for a Freshman, he wasn't even 100% healthy for most of the latter half of the year. I don't really remember what his health status was for the OB, but still... A stronger, faster, healthy & more confident/more experienced BW? Sounds good to me.

I sure hope so. Wegher and Robinson both looked older than their years at the end of the season. Factor in Hampton and we have 3 "vets" at running back and they are all only Sophomores. If there can be adequate reloading at other positions, the young line and RB's could be a lot of fun in the next few years.

if you get a chance to re-watch the orange bowl. there is a point at about the 6:20 mark in the 2nd qtr. where clayborn lunges after nesbit (GT qb) like a tiger taking down a gazelle. just awesome.

He took a real hard shot to the ribs against MSU, and it bothered him for the last four games of the regular season.

Made a typing error. This is what is should have said:

-iowa runs a killer play option. rick and wegher sell it well and i think that the ground and air game could be equally hard hitting to defenses this season. i think marvin and djk (davis and sandeman, too! geesh!) are going to be showing up in the dreams/nightmares of other teams' defense for weeks after playing iowa.

Latest posts