Watching Michigan right now: I like our chances next week

DesMoinesHawki

After watching some of the Michigan/Michigan State game, I have to say i like our chances next week. The Wolverine defense is very soft: 120th out of 120 teams in pass defense. Michigan solely relies on Robinson. The kid is talented but he strictly tosses short 5-yard outs. Iowa has a history of doing well against the spread offense. If we limit his rushing next week, i think we leave Ann Arbor with a win. Robinson will not beat us through the air. The rest of its rushing attack is non-existent. I think our defense will contain Robinson via the ground and while Robinson has only tossed two interceptions this year, would not be surprised to see us pick him off a couple of times next week. Michigan's scheme calls for the short pass, thus Robinson is pretty accurate and interceptions are limited.

This is a good Michigan team but with our experienced defense I don't see one man beating Iowa. Would rather see Michigan beat State versus coming into next week's game after a loss.

Our offense needs to have a big game. I hope we expose Michigan's weak pass defense. I think we will do fine on the ground but would really like to see us open it up a bit through the air.

Will definitely be a tough game but I like our chances because of our defense. Go Hawks!

Michigan's offense does not solely rely on Robinson. Michigan has a plethora of talented wide-receivers, a nice running back, and a talented offensive line.

Secondly, Robinson does not "strictly" throw 5-year outs.

Finally, Iowa does not have a history of "doing well" against the spread offense. Yes - we've beaten some spread teams, but we have a much better history of "doing well" against the prehistoric offenses of Penn St, Wisconsin, and Minnesota under Glen Mason than we have against spread offenses.

Michigan's offense does not solely rely on Robinson. Michigan has a plethora of talented wide-receivers, a nice running back, and a talented offensive line.

Finally, Iowa does not have a history of "doing well" against the spread offense. Yes - we've beaten some spread teams, but we have a much better history of "doing well" against the prehistoric offenses of Penn St, Wisconsin, and Minnesota under Glen Mason than we have against spread offenses.

I be to differ that Michigan does not solely rely on Robinson. Yes, Michigan has talented receivers and a nice offensive line, but Robinson is the main focus. Why else would he have so many rushing yards? Yes, any qb is the main cog in an offense, but Michigan relies more on Robinson to make the play than the majority of other teams.

And, we have done well against the spread. We did well against Florida and we have done well against Illinois. We let those quarterbacks complete the short passes but we have a way of keeping them out of the endzone.

Their defense isn't that good at all (though they've played fairly well today) and Michigan State is playing well and their line isn't amazing. We have the best line in the nation and I've liked my chances playing them even before today.

Robinson vs our d-line is going to be a great match up though.

Oh now Michigan is much more than just Denard, Brian. Talk about waffling.. :D Seriously talk about a Bi-Polar poster... After this post your heading straight to the ignore poster list.

They may have a plethora of talented players, but they have been relying heavily on him this season. He was responsible for 94% of their offensive yardage against Notre Dame. They go as he goes. You think Michigan would be 5-0 right now without him? I think 3-2 at best.

So you have to make him pass (way easier said then done.)

Yes, easier said than done, but MSU is doing it. Granted, Robinson didn't have to pass in those situations where he threw the INTs.

But now it's a 3 TD game, which means Robinson will have to throw some more anyways.

Michigan is Denard Robinson, period.

He is showing his inexperience against zone looks down in the redzone..the back of the end zone becomes another defender...I will say that Michigan missed on two or three TD chances in the first half that you can't count on.

Running yards will be there, but one thing Iowa does NOT have that Michigan has is breakaway speed at running back. Those big gains have been there for every Michigan opponent this year. Iowa does not have that. If we could have Jewel Hampton back for just one game this year, it would be this one because he would be making house calls.

That being said, this Michigan State defense is not great...came in #41 in the nation. Iowa's defense is significantly better, and Iowa plays zone defense as well as anyone in the nation.

I too like Iowa's chances more after watching this today, but Iowa will need to get the ball in the hands of some speedy players. I think play action will be huge in this game.

How about DJK in some wildcat looks ;)

This game isn't over yet folks. After watching this game I still think Michigan beats Michigan State 6 of 10 times. Michigan is playing terrible in the red zone and has left a lot of points on the field.

But give Michigan State credit.

If this is true, they certainly forgot how to play today. Wishigan's stone-handed receivers have not helped Robinson at all. Not sure I've seen so many drops in a single game.

Michigan is Denard Robinson, period.

He is showing his inexperience against zone looks down in the redzone..the back of the end zone becomes another defender...I will say that Michigan missed on two or three TD chances in the first half that you can't count on.

Running yards will be there, but one thing Iowa does NOT have that Michigan has is breakaway speed at running back. Those big gains have been there for every Michigan opponent this year. Iowa does not have that. If we could have Jewel Hampton back for just one game this year, it would be this one because he would be making house calls.

That being said, this Michigan State defense is not great...came in #41 in the nation. Iowa's defense is significantly better, and Iowa plays zone defense as well as anyone in the nation.

I too like Iowa's chances more after watching this today, but Iowa will need to get the ball in the hands of some speedy players. I think play action will be huge in this game.

How about DJK in some wildcat looks ;)

Ding, ding, ding

It wouldn't surprise me if iowa has 2 or 3 drives that stall out just because of that very point.....The FG kickers whoever it is has to make kicks......they will get opportunities next weekend.

They may have a plethora of talented players, but they have been relying heavily on him this season. He was responsible for 94% of their offensive yardage against Notre Dame. They go as he goes. You think Michigan would be 5-0 right now without him? I think 3-2 at best.

Texas was the "Vince Young Show" back in the day. They relied heavily on VY, but they were not simply Vince Young and Co. That team was very good. The best player was simply the focus. What a shock, a coach puts the most emphasis on his best player.

Same goes for Pat White at WVU. Or Shonn Greene here. The best player gets the most emphasis. That doesn't mean there are no other options.

Texas was the "Vince Young Show" back in the day. They relied heavily on VY, but they were not simply Vince Young and Co. That team was very good. The best player was simply the focus. What a shock, a coach puts the most emphasis on his best player.

Same goes for Pat White at WVU. Or Shonn Greene here. The best player gets the most emphasis. That doesn't mean there are no other options.

Without Young, their title team probably doesnt even win 10 games. They dont come back vs Okie State that year, I guarantee it.

Without Pryor, this OSU team is an 8 or 9 win team, not one vying for the title. Without Denard Robinson, this Michigan team probably wouldnt be .500 with it's horrid defense.

there are always other options, but those options are typically not difference makers otherwise they'd be plan A

Are you comparing this Michigan team to those Texas teams? Okay, that's all I need to know.

Latest posts