Watch out for the Gophers

glidinghawk

It's a revenge game for them. Of course, a huge border rivalry game. They are playing well and playing hard and hungry. They are playing very tight D and forcing tons of turnovers. Hollins is starting to get in a 'senior playing for pride' groove as well as their post players. They want another win badly and keep it going for a potential bid.

I think the Hawks are strong enough to move on from the phony intentional poking controversy and play a good game, but they had best be prepared to bring their A game again. Can they do it for a third straight game?

I think Woody sharpens his nails for this game....couldn't resist....Minnesota seems to give Iowa fits....if they're doing what you've described, then they could give us a helluva game....at home, need to protect it best we can....

It's a revenge game for them. Of course, a huge border rivalry game. They are playing well and playing hard and hungry. They are playing very tight D and forcing tons of turnovers. Hollins is starting to get in a 'senior playing for pride' groove as well as their post players. They want another win badly and keep it going for a potential bid.

I think the Hawks are strong enough to move on from the phony intentional poking controversy and play a good game, but they had best be prepared to bring their A game again. Can they do it for a third straight game?

I agree. Hope we don't think that we're going to coast the rest of the year because the harder part of the schedule is over. They gotta bring it every week to win. We're pretty good but we're not Kentucky or Wisconsin.

I'm not worried and here are 7 reasons why.

1 - We already beat them at their place...and we're playing better now.
2 - They tried to run with us last year in Iowa City and we beat them 94-73.
3 - MN Lost @ Purdue 68-72
4 - MN Lost @ Maryland 58-70
5 - MN Lost @ Michigan 57-62
6 - MN Lost @ Nebraska 49-52
7 - MN Lost @ Penn State 58-63

That's 0-5 on the road in the Big 10. Their only road win this year was way back on December 2 at Wake Forest (11-13).

I agree with you. We gave em a good beating on their home floor-even though we won by only 2, pretty sure we had them down by double digits for a good part of the game, so you know they are thinking they owe us one on our home floor. The Hawks are good enough though, that they could beat every team on their schedule the rest of the way, as long as they FOCUS for each game, don't look past any one of them as a gimmie game. The way Woody and Gabe are playing, Eliason and Walker should have little affect if our bigs are engaged. After that, the rest should fall in line in this game if they play with consistency.

They may be hungry.....but they still ain't that good. Hawks play a game and it's money. Lay a turd and it could be close.

MN is heading for a losing Conf season (again). I love it!

Oh....and they may be playing for pride.....but we are playing for the Dance! Don't think the Hawks are not just as motivated.

I think it's time for Iowa fans(myself included) to forget about what happened with last years team and start having higher expectations for these players and Fran. Sure it's easy to say we could have a letdown against Minny..but do we really need to start a thread about it? If this program wants to become elite our fan base and players need to develop a cockiness/chip on the shoulder and expect to beat these bottom feeders in the conference at home without having conversations like "We should be ready for a fired up Minnesota squad Thursday..". I expect to blow them out and this team to continue to roll. It's time for us fans to stand behind this squad. They've earned it the last 2 games. This isn't last year.

**** Minnesota!

I agree that Iowa is playing better now then they first played them up there. So long as Iowa handles the press don't turn it over and burns them by getting easy baskets when they do I think Iowa wins going away. MD is a much better team then MN and you saw how much trouble MD gave us (none) If MG and Jok play like they did last wk the rest takes care of itself. White and Uthoff are going to give what they give. And the combo of Woody and Gabe are going to give you about the same as they always do. (some nights it's one or the other but always one of em plays well anyway) To me MG and Jok are X factors. If they are aggressive and scoring not turning the ball over Hawks are just a tough matchup for alot of teams.

It'd be best if the Hawks took each game seriously the rest of the way and I believe they will. If not any team left on their schedule can beat them on a given night.

I agree with GlidingHawk. I saw the Gophers play a decent Western Carolina team in Dec. and they had a
really good pressing defense that forced a lot of turnovers. That press kind of disappeared when conference
play started, but their last two games their press is clicking again.
The Big Ten is too good of a conference to take any opponent lightly. The Hawks will need a good effort to
beat MN.

Minnie wins by 2. Fran gets a T with game tied, 5 seconds left. Blames officials for loss, Woody fouls out after playing total of 5 minutes. Barta busy firing women's rowing coach. Kirk busy, steals a recruit from Bowling Green.

Last edited:
Iowa should dominate this game but its one of those scary letdown games following a huge week so who knows. Time for iowa to step up and erase the collapse of last year

I think this game will be a test and Iowa needs to play well.

Hawks need to be focused And continue to make shots. 60% is not likely to continue, though it would be awesome if it did.

Go Hawks.

Minnie wins by 2. Fran gets a T with game tied, 5 seconds left. Blames officials for loss, Woody fouls out after playing total of 5 minutes. Barta busy firing women's rowing coach. Kirk busy, steals a recruit from Bowling Green.
How bout Hawks win third game in row with someone stepping up (unknown at this time), Woody keeps hands up above his head all game, Whitey has multiple dunks, oh and trolls go and spew their negativity on some other board!

I am worried about every game. We have seen now that this team can beat anyone in the conference not names Wisconsin, but we also know that if the team shoots poorly, we can lose to most BIG opponents. Need a good effort every night. I like the way the team is playing, and hope they can finish this season.

Hawks have to remain focused and Fran needs to remind them that losing their focus brought them down last year. He should remind the team of the opportunity going forward if they continue to play like they have recently. They have to be prepared or Minny could surprise us. I think Aaron White is going to have a big game.