Washed up Walkons this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonrn

So the WUW podcast can be a bit too much “bro this bro this” and telling annoying stories from drinking and playing video games, however they can be very good. I really enjoy the past player interviews.

This week they addressed the whole racism thing and it was fascinating to hear from the inside and they actually provided some great insight. They confirmed what I have been saying. Some of the stories are true, some are greatly exaggerated and some are completely false.

I would recommend it, because they speak from their hearts at length as opposed to a quick tweets. I admire their candor.

They’ve done a much better job addressing the story than any of the so called journalists.

So the WUW podcast can be a bit too much “bro this bro this” and telling annoying stories from drinking and playing video games, however they can be very good. I really enjoy the past player interviews.

This week they addressed the whole racism thing and it was fascinating to hear from the inside and they actually provided some great insight. They confirmed what I have been saying. Some of the stories are true, some are greatly exaggerated and some are completely false.

I would recommend it, because they speak from their hearts at length as opposed to a quick tweets. I admire their candor.

They’ve done a much better job addressing the story than any of the so called journalists.
Confessing ignorance. Do not know about this podcast. Do I need a link?

No, just go to YouTube and search Washed Up Walton’s. It’ll pop them up.
Washed Up Walton's does sound quite interesting, but for Hawkeye football insider info I'd suggest Washed Up Walkons.;)

Seriously, though, hearing the story from insiders instead of journalists looking for clicks is quite informative.

I think Kevin Ward said it best. "DJK can eat a bag of dicks." Why journalists run to him for a quote is beyond me. That guy has zero credibility.

Kevin nailed it. When he brought up why didn't they just go to KF first. Don't go shotgunning all your dirty laundry on the Twitter for the whole world to see. If you actually want to resolve it go to who you have the problem with and who can do something about it first. Document that you were having such a meeting and then if nothing becomes of it then go public. Things could have gotten better without the public shaming and forever tarnishing of legacies being done. Now Doyle is done. And pretty much he dang well should be. But in this way seems like BS to me. And maybe this is how it'd have still had to happen. Maybe KF would have ignored it all and forced them to go to social media. That'd have been a stupid decision by KF if he would've tried that but we'll never know now.

The 3 of them seem pretty in unison on their take on DJK... They sure didn't mince their words on him at the end. See I'm way more curious to know about other players on their take on it all then I am the media or even KFs and coaches. How do the players that lived it see it? Hopefully they can get some of their black friends on to discuss it more too sooner then later. But I have a feeling with this 'investigation' going on it'll be awhile till much more comes out.

Kevin nailed it. When he brought up why didn't they just go to KF first. Don't go shotgunning all your dirty laundry on the Twitter for the whole world to see. If you actually want to resolve it go to who you have the problem with and who can do something about it first. Document that you were having such a meeting and then if nothing becomes of it then go public. Things could have gotten better without the public shaming and forever tarnishing of legacies being done. Now Doyle is done. And pretty much he dang well should be. But in this way seems like BS to me. And maybe this is how it'd have still had to happen. Maybe KF would have ignored it all and forced them to go to social media. That'd have been a stupid decision by KF if he would've tried that but we'll never know now.

The 3 of them seem pretty in unison on their take on DJK... They sure didn't mince their words on him at the end. See I'm way more curious to know about other players on their take on it all then I am the media or even KFs and coaches. How do the players that lived it see it? Hopefully they can get some of their black friends on to discuss it more too sooner then later. But I have a feeling with this 'investigation' going on it'll be awhile till much more comes out.

x1000

They nailed it. Honestly, they were more insightful than any reporter has been. I could honestly see how this whole saga would happen after listening to them.

plus I liked that they called BS on the whole story about KF spitting at some black players and telling them they wouldn’t last. I immediately knew that story was fake. Lots of ex players with axes to grind.

I dont know how I did not know about these guys but thanks for the post. This episode was informative and fun Now I have 121 more to listen to :)

Which episode did they discuss it in? I listened to episodes 121 and 122 and they didn't say much of anything about it.

This sounds fair and logical, no wonder it didn't make the mainstream news. Might not fit the "correct" One Way Think way of analyzing Rachel issues.

DJK seems to be one of those "short shelf life" guys, an emotional vampire for his teammates and coaches.

Now he is "coaching" more young men...the cycle of life.

I dont know how I did not know about these guys but thanks for the post. This episode was informative and fun Now I have 121 more to listen to :)

ive listened to all the episodes involving player interviews. They are interesting, others can get bogged down, just sounding like frat guys talking.

This sounds fair and logical, no wonder it didn't make the mainstream news. Might not fit the "correct" One Way Think way of analyzing Rachel issues.

DJK seems to be one of those "short shelf life" guys, an emotional vampire for his teammates and coaches.

Now he is "coaching" more young men...the cycle of life.

remember, obviously there is an issue here in the program, BUT remember there is always a narrative being sold to you by the media and social activists.

it seems to me after listening to the pod, that Doyle did actually target players unfairly. However it seemed overall the main issue is the Iowa program had very high standards and could be very rough on players who didn’t follow them. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of black players for whatever reason struggled with that, and that’s a problem that needs to be addressed.

remember, obviously there is an issue here in the program, BUT remember there is always a narrative being sold to you by the media and social activists.

it seems to me after listening to the pod, that Doyle did actually target players unfairly. However it seemed overall the main issue is the Iowa program had very high standards and could be very rough on players who didn’t follow them. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of black players for whatever reason struggled with that, and that’s a problem that needs to be addressed.
Perhaps Iowa football isn't for everyone.

x1000

They nailed it. Honestly, they were more insightful than any reporter has been. I could honestly see how this whole saga would happen after listening to them.

plus I liked that they called BS on the whole story about KF spitting at some black players and telling them they wouldn’t last. I immediately knew that story was fake. Lots of ex players with axes to grind.
Yes they shot that story down totally too. Pretty much KF never is outside in that parking lot. They said he parks on the back side of the building. That'd be so un KF like I doubt anybody that knows him would buy it. So yeah they totally don't believe that one. Those 3 have a heck of a podcast going. Usually they are really upbeat and funny just making fun of each other the whole time with a guest on. This had such a different tone to it especially for them. But they all care about the program top to bottom. Pretty easy to see that. They mentioned how they failed in how they didn't feel like they were approachable by other teammates to talk about it. I don't agree with everything they all say all the time but they seem honest credible and just hard working good people. How couldn't they be having been walkons and all..

Perhaps Iowa football isn't for everyone.

it definitely isn’t. Iowa football has to be militaristic with discipline and organization, because when you want to be competitive with 3* athletes, the margin of error is so small, games are decided by inches. This isn’t Alabama which “could” half ass it and still win 10 games. This formula for Iowa is difficult, but serves players well in football and in life. Kluver said it best, if you are a high school player who comes from an undisciplined and unstructured background you will struggle.

Now the line between tough and demeaning is very difficult to skirt, and Doyle just touched the fire too much with demeaning and powerful guys like James daniels called him out. Once you are a millionaire NFL player the balance of power switches.

Drew Tate and Anton Narinsky did a podcast in 2015 and 2016 called Hawkeye Huddlecast. They had DJK on once and Anton openly said that DJK was constantly targeted by coaches and never treated very well and in hind sight the program was a very bad fit for him. One story told was DJK not wearing the right clothes for a workout and a coach asked him if he wore the socks he had on because he was gay. Not really something that's okay to marginalize anymore.
All that said KF didn't run drugs out of DJK's house and the fault there is 100% on DJK, 0% on any coaches unless they were buying from him.

Overall I like the WuWo podcast, some episodes are better than others.
My take on it all is that Doyle's style was pretty much that of a dickhead and bully. They said everyone walked on egg shells, regardless of race and he went out of his way to call people out and made it personal, with everyone. That means he wasn't overtly racist or unfairly harsh towards non-white players but if you get personal with guys on attempt to motivate them, and a guy is black well a personal attack can easily be viewed as racist.
2 of the 3 said they really liked Doyle and viewed him as a mentor while all 3 said that Doyle crossed lines more than once, no question about it
On the podcast they said many times perception isn't reality but that's just wrong. Perception is reality to the person perceiving it, it's just that our own personal realities aren't ubiquitous to everyone.
In the end I hope the program as well as players and coaches there right now are able to make improvements so nobody feels singled out solely based on race and that everyone can move forward and be successful on and off the field.

Last edited:
So, the episode that everyone is commenting on is episode 123, which is currently NOT on YouTube. I've been listening to their podcast on YouTube lately rather than straight from their website like I used to, so I was unaware of this.

I listened to the whole thing. It's good to absorb as much perspective as you can on this story. I tuned out when they criticized Oliver Martin for transferring to Iowa from Michigan last summer. And their pod isn't my cup of tea, but it's worth listening to the current episode even if you disagree with some of their opinions, as I do.

And, no, it's not their take on DJK. I disagree with their opinion that players should have gone to KF first instead of going public on social media. If they felt comfortable going to KF or believed he would address their concerns, they would have done so.

I listened to the whole thing. It's good to absorb as much perspective as you can on this story. I tuned out when they criticized Oliver Martin for transferring to Iowa from Michigan last summer. And their pod isn't my cup of tea, but it's worth listening to the current episode even if you disagree with some of their opinions, as I do.

And, no, it's not their take on DJK. I disagree with their opinion that players should have gone to KF first instead of going public on social media. If they felt comfortable going to KF or believed he would address their concerns, they would have done so.

I quit listening to their non-interview pods when Drake challenged anyone to a fight over criticizing Nate Stanley.
But I listened to every minute of the last one over Spotify.
I understand Kevin Ward's sentiment being pissed off about the former players that didn't go to KF before using social media but I don't agree with him. My opinion is KF would have listened to them, probably taken their comments to heart, but wouldn't have changed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts