was targeting call the key play

Butt hurt much? Why no mention of the picked up pass interference flag that was CLEARLY 3 yards down the field, not at the line of scrimmage as the clearly pro squawkeyes refs said. Yes, Squawk fans you were beat and outplayed and out coached. Accept it.

This was the worse called game since the 2006 Outback Bowl, and possibly the calls that the refs did get wrong had an even bigger impact. Perhaps up to a 24 point swing caused by the referees. To you people that say that Iowa should have played better you are not necessarily wrong but this game should be team vs team, not team vs team + refs. Here is a short list of some of the worse calls in the history of college football.

On the play where the clown Quarterback pitched the ball to the clown. It was dropped, Iowa picked it up and was running it in for a TD. It was clearly not a forward pass. I had a perfect view of it since the LOS was directly across from my seat on that play. Everyone in my section saw it too. That should have been Iowa Ball, and a probable Iowa touchdown would have resulted.

Second on the first clown "touchdown" the clown receiver clearly picked the ball up off the ball. I once again had a great view of this. The replay also showed this. Everyone in the stadium saw this. Somehow it was not even reviewed. How is that possible. How much did the clowns pay off the refs on this one? Or were they trying to make up for bad calls on other games I don't know. However anyone who thought that was a TD was either blind or on the take. So that "touchdown" should be taken off the board.

Next was the phoney targeting call. Lomax did not launch himself, there was no helmet to helmet. Both players were going for the ball and they collided. There was nothing intentional about it! Anyone who thinks otherwise is on the take. This time they did review it but they still got it wrong. How did that happen? This allowed an clown drive to continue for an ill gotten touchdown when this should have ended in a clown 4th and long. This also unfairly took Lomax out of the game and this had a probable affect on Iowa defense for the rest of the game.

Later on at the end of the the Iowa field goal drive. Jacob Hillyer was tackled when he was going for the catch and there was no call. This was so obvious that the entire stadium noticed it at once. This would have been a first down, and could have helped lead to an Iowa touchdown rather than a field goal. It was just an awful no call. This is made even worse by the clear inconsistency that we would see later on.

This blatant inconsistency would occur on the final clown drive. Josey Jewell made less contact and later on the clown pass. Plus the clown pass was clearly uncatchable. It was as if the refs were trying to manufacture a way to keep the clown drive going. This would have lead to a 4th and 6 on the Iowa 43 for the clowns. A probable punting situation with just enough time for a potential Iowa field goal drive. Or at least overtime. However if the previous calls would have been correct it would not have come to this.

I find this favoritism sickening. I really have some problems with the refs, and I hope one of these years this gets fixed. Until this gets fixed I purpose that Iowa discontinues the series with the clowns until they receive an official apology and a system is in place to keep this from happening again.

Also a Big 12 crew.....they also wanted to call a fumble on Iowa where the receivers knee was clearly down....took forever for the replay both to overturn it.

It was the Iowa Football Program Vs The Clowns, Kirk Ferentz, and the Big 12 Officials today.

I have no idea how you could watch that game and feel that one team got a lift. It was a ****-poor officiating job, but both teams got bent over by it. Iowa State had a to settle for a FG when the ref's stalled their drive in the Hawks redzone by picking up that PI flag.

I'm sick of the pussifying of football as we know it, but in that instance I was ok with the call. I personally wouldn't have called it, but he tee'd off on a defenseless receiver as he was going to the ground with his head down. Overall I don't like the rule but I understand it.

Terrible terrible officiating all day. It's laughable that you think Clones (we) got a boost out of it though. Cyclones almost shat that game down their leg, Hawks lost because you played not to lose in the 2nd half and the Clones shot themselves in the foot less in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st.

I can offer a little bit of insight where I remember the plays in question...

On the play where the clown Quarterback pitched the ball to the clown. It was dropped, Iowa picked it up and was running it in for a TD. It was clearly not a forward pass. I had a perfect view of it since the LOS was directly across from my seat on that play. Everyone in my section saw it too. That should have been Iowa Ball, and a probable Iowa touchdown would have resulted.

Was this early in the game, when Spearman picked up the dropped bubble screen? You might need to have your eyes checked on that one. Richardson was on a line when he threw that one, easily allowing the viewers at home (both live and on the replay) that it was clearly a forward pass.

Second on the first clown "touchdown" the clown receiver clearly picked the ball up off the ball. I once again had a great view of this. The replay also showed this. Everyone in the stadium saw this. Somehow it was not even reviewed. How is that possible. How much did the clowns pay off the refs on this one? Or were they trying to make up for bad calls on other games I don't know. However anyone who thought that was a TD was either blind or on the take. So that "touchdown" should be taken off the board.

Isn't every scoring play reviewed? This was the jump pass play, yes? It was a great catch by the Cyclone receiver...it needed to be a hands catch without any sort of bobble and it was. I didn't think there was any chance they'd overturn that one. I think even the announcers wondered why Ferentz took a timeout to give them extra time to look at it.

Next was the phoney targeting call. Lomax did not launch himself, there was no helmet to helmet. Both players were going for the ball and they collided. There was nothing intentional about it! Anyone who thinks otherwise is on the take. This time they did review it but they still got it wrong. How did that happen? This allowed an clown drive to continue for an ill gotten touchdown when this should have ended in a clown 4th and long. This also unfairly took Lomax out of the game and this had a probable affect on Iowa defense for the rest of the game.

According to the new rule, I don't think you need helmet to helmet for targeting. They reviewed this one (again, as I think all targeting calls are) and determined it was legit. It's a tough rule, especially when you've got a receiver being tackled, but it is the rule. Also, it might be a good point to add that while the B12 supplied the officiating crew, the instant replay crew was from the B10.

Later on at the end of the the Iowa field goal drive. Jacob Hillyer was tackled when he was going for the catch and there was no call. This was so obvious that the entire stadium noticed it at once. This would have been a first down, and could have helped lead to an Iowa touchdown rather than a field goal. It was just an awful no call. This is made even worse by the clear inconsistency that we would see later on.

Don't recall this one.

This blatant inconsistency would occur on the final clown drive. Josey Jewell made less contact and later on the clown pass. Plus the clown pass was clearly uncatchable. It was as if the refs were trying to manufacture a way to keep the clown drive going. This would have lead to a 4th and 6 on the Iowa 43 for the clowns. A probable punting situation with just enough time for a potential Iowa field goal drive. Or at least overtime. However if the previous calls would have been correct it would not have come to this.

The call wasn't interference, so the uncatchable makes no difference. Holding occurs before the ball is in the air...although they probably could have called interference as well since you can't wrap the non-defensing hand around the receivers waist when trying to bat away a pass.

I think it's pretty safe to take off your tinfoil hat. There wasn't something nefarious going on today; sadly as it is to say, we got outcoached and outplayed today.

Butt hurt much? Why no mention of the picked up pass interference flag that was CLEARLY 3 yards down the field, not at the line of scrimmage as the clearly pro squawkeyes refs said. Yes, Squawk fans you were beat and outplayed and out coached. Accept it.

Agree with you on the officiating and that the better team won. What you have to understand is we are coming to acceptance that losing to a really bad football program means we are horrible.

This was the worse called game since the 2006 Outback Bowl, and possibly the calls that the refs did get wrong had an even bigger impact. Perhaps up to a 24 point swing caused by the referees. To you people that say that Iowa should have played better you are not necessarily wrong but this game should be team vs team, not team vs team + refs. Here is a short list of some of the worse calls in the history of college football.

I find this favoritism sickening. I really have some problems with the refs, and I hope one of these years this gets fixed. Until this gets fixed I purpose that Iowa discontinues the series with the clowns until they receive an official apology and a system is in place to keep this from happening again.

I would suggest new glasses, these black and gold ones are really effecting your vision.

On the play where the clown Quarterback pitched the ball to the clown. It was dropped, Iowa picked it up and was running it in for a TD. It was clearly not a forward pass. I had a perfect view of it since the LOS was directly across from my seat on that play. Every

one in my section saw it too. That should have been Iowa Ball, and a probable Iowa touchdown would have resulted.

GD, you're wrong on almost every point you try to make. Do yourself a favor and stay off the Internet for a while.

Y'all need to lay off Nick. He is the most delusional fan in this delusional nuthouse. It's just kinda his thing, and I've actually come around to appreciating it about him.

I am not saying the targeting on Lomax call was wrong but that was the key call today?

Not only did it give ISU a first down on their go-ahead 92 yard TD drive, but it took out Iowa's starting safety the rest of day.

By the way, is Lomax done sitting out or does he have to sit out any more time?
It was a terrible call but to be honest it never should have come down to that. The officiating was bad on both sides but Iowa's coaching and gameplay was worse.

It was a terrible call but to be honest it never should have come down to that. The officiating was bad on both sides but Iowa's coaching and gameplay was worse.
does anyone find it strange that when a critical play occurs such as the Lomax penalty, KF shows no emotion, doesn't even question the call, anybody remember Adam Robinson getting KO'D on a pass interference against OSU, He was laying on the field knocked out, KF's reaction was to scribble in his note book.

Unfortunate, but the correct call. No way Lomax intended harm, but the call was correct by definition.

Side note, if we can improve lb position and coverage, the defense can be very good. Not good enough to make up for putrid offense we are playing, but very good.

I'll keep repeating it, from what little I've seen, Smith, Willies, Hillyer have the ability for serious YAC and are all big targets. KMM and Powell are solid. If this squad doesn't start seeing the ball more...somehow/some way....it's a travesty.

RBs are not seeing cutbacks, the holes are there. Canzeri is dinged, until he comes back I want more MW.

Over 24 hours later...still fuming.

Still a terrible call, maybe one of the worst in college football history. So far the only game that has not had terrible officiating had been the UNI. With the exception of the 4th and 1 spot in that game. The overall game play was better in that game for that reason.

Nope. How in the world is Lomax, who is moving, supposed to avoid the receiver, who is moving, and not even yet down when Lomax contacts him? It was a ****-poor call then, and it's a ****-poor call now.

If the rule has become that when a recevier gets a concussion it's a penalty no matter how it happens, then something bad is happening to this game. It was a TERRIBLE call.

That being said, while it did alter the game, there were a lot more plays that Iowa didn't make that altered it more. Yes, the officiating was terrible, approaching the Outback in incompetence. But as bad as it was, Iowa's terrible performance altered the outcome even more. I am upset about this penalty call and ejection, but I refuse to place blame for the loss on it, or the refs.

Still a terrible call, maybe one of the worst in college football history. So far the only game that has not had terrible officiating had been the UNI. With the exception of the 4th and 1 spot in that game. The overall game play was better in that game for that reason.

You can't be this clueless, right??????

Why are so many people in this forum so rude and always insist on insulting people? It is simply un-called for.

I am happy you now have a "purpose".

Latest posts