Wadley's transformation

I don't think DJK's issues had anything to do with his work ethic. Everything I've heard about him suggest he was a monster in the weight room and obviously didn't seem to take many plays off when on the field. I'm sure 99% of his problems stemmed from his 'social life' and/or attitude.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. It wasn't his work ethic in terms of working out, but more his work ethic in terms of attitude.

Well his reason for quitting and wanting to leave was his sick father I believe right? Hardly something to label one as a quitter over that's a bit harsh... Unless you don't believe that. I can see how something like that would tear a kid up. Making life decisions under those conditions can't be easy. I wasn't in on any of those sit down meetings so who knows what those conditions were and how reasonable they were or weren't. At that point it was up to DW to decide how much he wanted to still be a Hawk or not. I think KF was well within his rights to do what he did. And DW his to decide to not stay. At the end of the day that's what it boils down to. I just think calling the kid a quitter in blanket kind of way isn't completely fair to him since we just don't know enough..

Yeah, so he moved NOWHERE NEAR where his father was. I haven't heard whether or not his father is moving to Texas.

If I were "forced" to publicly say what I "feel", I would say it was NEVER about one singular thing...

Naaah, it was heading that way regardless of your post. I knew it would go down this direction with the OP.

LOL, I specifically didn't mention Willies. Of course the same band of DW lovers brought him into the conversation like they always do.

I spoke with a senior-to-be recently about going through his last spring ball, asking him if it felt good to get through that grind one last time. He said it was certainly a challenge, and added how it was different at Iowa than at many places. He stated that many schools "Just let athletes be athletes, but that is not how it is done at Iowa." The staff is extremely focused on everyone making progress, doing the little things, and pulling on the rope in the same direction. If you are not doing those things, you will have a hard time getting on the field.

This is why the NFL loves Iowa guys so much. They don't have to worry about teaching guys how to work hard, act professionally, and be accountable, because those things were instilled in college. They can just bring an Iowa guy in and plug him into the system, and you know he will do his job to the best of his ability. I am sure this approach pays great dividends for the vast majority of players who do not make it to the NFL as well. Heck, if you're not teaching life lessons and helping these players become better men, then what is the real value in any of the work these coaches do?

Iowa's strength, conditioning, and nutrition programs are notch in the new facility. It showed on the field last year, and it will continue get even better as players gain multiple years training in there. Any player such as Akrum who puts the necessary work in will improve greatly. Potential recruits are also noticing this.

I spoke with a senior-to-be recently about going through his last spring ball, asking him if it felt good to get through that grind one last time. He said it was certainly a challenge, and added how it was different at Iowa than at many places. He stated that many schools "Just let athletes be athletes, but that is not how it is done at Iowa." The staff is extremely focused on everyone making progress, doing the little things, and pulling on the rope in the same direction. If you are not doing those things, you will have a hard time getting on the field.

This is why the NFL loves Iowa guys so much. They don't have to worry about teaching guys how to work hard, act professionally, and be accountable, because those things were instilled in college. They can just bring an Iowa guy in and plug him into the system, and you know he will do his job to the best of his ability. I am sure this approach pays great dividends for the vast majority of players who do not make it to the NFL as well. Heck, if you're not teaching life lessons and helping these players become better men, then what is the real value in any of the work these coaches do?

I think this is why you always hear the same answer when the coaches are asked about how many stars their recruits have. They don't care about stars. They care about character. If all they went after were highly recruited players then they'd have an incomplete football team even if they were able to land them because a lot of them wouldn't be able to take it. The Iowa program is tough. It's not easy. You can't just go through the motions and expect to play. You have to work for it. That's why they target high character guys more so than stars. They need guys who they know will be willing to not only accept the grind, but to embrace it. That's also why their ability to develop football players is second to none. If they see a young man with the tools to play football they will teach him how to use them if he's willing to put in the work.

I think this is why you always hear the same answer when the coaches are asked about how many stars their recruits have. They don't care about stars. They care about character with kids that have upside. If all they went after were highly recruited players then they'd have an incomplete football team even if they were able to land them because a lot of them wouldn't be able to take it. The Iowa program is tough. It's not easy. You can't just go through the motions and expect to play. You have to work for it. That's why they target high character guys more so than stars. They need guys who they know will be willing to not only accept the grind, but to embrace it. That's also why their ability to develop football players is second to none. If they see a young man with the tools to play football they will teach him how to use them if he's willing to put in the work.

FIFY:)