Wadley

Hawkfnntn

I know that Daniels will have every chance to be the workhorse. But does anyone else think Wadley may be the over the top home run hitter that should get more touches then say 5-7ish that he's in line to get per game? I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get 10 or more. He just adds speed/quickness and he showed he can be a receiver too. That versatility is just invaluable to an offense when you can have all kinds of formations and keep defenses off balance. Don't get me wrong there will be matchups where running the I formation with double tight ends and Daniels is the way to go. But to go from that to 3 or 4 wide with Wadley and a healthy Beathard running a little spread option sounds pretty nice too... I also don't think the coaches need to make such a huge deal over his weight. 180-185 is good enough so long as he don't fumble. Trying to pack on weight his frame for whatever reason may not be able to gain just isn't necessary. He doesn't have to be the between the tackles pile mover. I want him quick fast and hard to get a hand on for 10-14 touches optimally. I think he can be our biggest play maker next year if he gets the touches much like Canzeri was when he was healthy and in there maybe even more so..

I know that Daniels will have every chance to be the workhorse. But does anyone else think Wadley may be the over the top home run hitter that should get more touches then say 5-7ish that he's in line to get per game? I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get 10 or more. He just adds speed/quickness and he showed he can be a receiver too. That versatility is just invaluable to an offense when you can have all kinds of formations and keep defenses off balance. Don't get me wrong there will be matchups where running the I formation with double tight ends and Daniels is the way to go. But to go from that to 3 or 4 wide with Wadley and a healthy Beathard running a little spread option sounds pretty nice too... I also don't think the coaches need to make such a huge deal over his weight. 180-185 is good enough so long as he don't fumble. Trying to pack on weight his frame for whatever reason may not be able to gain just isn't necessary. He doesn't have to be the between the tackles pile mover. I want him quick fast and hard to get a hand on for 10-14 touches optimally. I think he can be our biggest play maker next year if he gets the touches much like Canzeri was when he was healthy and in there maybe even more so..

I agree AW is our home run hitter. I also think that LD is a highly talented kid, but needs to stay healthy. AW can score at any given time, but maybe can't get the tough yards. LD is the opposite. I don't think we can go wrong with either, but anything less than 10-12 carries (or 35% of carries per game) would not be utilizing him enough. I also would like to see Iowa continue to go with the hot hand. Don't have AW in the game if he's off, and same with LD. Playing the hot hand in in season competition and that is never a bad thing.

Seems like anymore our backs get dinged up throughout the season and we go with the healthy back/running back by committee. If they stay healthy I'd like to see Wadley and Daniels each get 12-15 carries each.

Daniels is already a senior and Iowa fans are still waiting for him to realize that potential that the coaches have been claiming he has since he showed up as a freshman.

I hope I am wrong, but I am skeptical that Daniels will ever realize that potential as the clear #1 guy, but he can certainly be part of a RB committee, which is good enough.

Daniels is already a senior and Iowa fans are still waiting for him to realize that potential that the coaches have been claiming he has since he showed up as a freshman.

I hope I am wrong, but I am skeptical that Daniels will ever realize that potential as the clear #1 guy, but he can certainly be part of a RB committee, which is good enough.

This.

I think we need to be careful when describing LD's productivity the past 3 seasons. Recall that in his first 2 season, our staff, somehow, decided that Mark Weisman was a better tailback than LD. Last season, he injured his ankle, just like JC did, but was very productive and played with good burst and power when healthy. Also, LD was allowed to play just enough to burn his freshman season, but mostly stand on the sidelines in favor of Wiesman.

There are a lot of good points said here. It is obvious that AW has great running skills and late in the season he showed good pass catching skills. LD is way above average when healthy and he can make that first good cut then make the one more cut he needs to get big yards. People forget he had a great first game last year and had over 50 yards in the first qtr against ISU before getting that ankle dinged. Until one of these guys looks like a heisman trophy winner they should get a number of carries to start the game to see who is hot, who is seeing the holes best and making the right cut decisions, etc.

And remember DMX, the guy is talented, probably has speed above LD but less than AW. But I was impressed with him in the rose bowl and Big Champ game as he ran tough.

I want and hope to see DMX get more carries also. LD will probably be the starter and it think if the offense is clicking all three of them have the chance for double digit carries per game. Who knows maybe that heisman guy is on the team or an incoming freshman who has hardly played.

I think we need to be careful when describing LD's productivity the past 3 seasons. Recall that in his first 2 season, our staff, somehow, decided that Mark Weisman was a better tailback than LD. Last season, he injured his ankle, just like JC did, but was very productive and played with good burst and power when healthy. Also, LD was allowed to play just enough to burn his freshman season, but mostly stand on the sidelines in favor of Wiesman.
Yeah I was one of those that thought LD (and he's not the only one KF has done that with) got hosed with burning his RS like that.. I just saw very little if not next to no point in him playing but a handful of snaps in a couple games... I understand how RBs are gone through like water but that being the case why not just use him if you had to. Not just to get his feet wet. Notice they didn't do that with Graham last yr. He sat out all year. Sure the depth chart is different I suppose and that'll be the counter argument to that but still Daniels did not need to burn that RS it gained the him and the team what exactly? I do think and hope he'll have a monster year. I just hope he does it with about 20 touches a game and not 25-30 taking reps away from Wadley....

Yeah I was one of those that thought LD (and he's not the only one KF has done that with) got hosed with burning his RS like that.. I just saw very little if not next to no point in him playing but a handful of snaps in a couple games... I understand how RBs are gone through like water but that being the case why not just use him if you had to. Not just to get his feet wet. Notice they didn't do that with Graham last yr. He sat out all year. Sure the depth chart is different I suppose and that'll be the counter argument to that but still Daniels did not need to burn that RS it gained the him and the team what exactly? I do think and hope he'll have a monster year. I just hope he does it with about 20 touches a game and not 25-30 taking reps away from Wadley....

I would think one area of game planning, strategic thinking would be if LD is your starter he gets most of the reps in the first 20 minutes of each half as it plays out. If the running game batters the opposition into having tired arms and legs from fending off blockers and trying to tackle LD then hit them the last part of each half with speed and power of AW and DMX. And if you have a big lead and want to grind it out then run all three of them.

My impression of AW in his big breakout game two years ago against jNW iirc was he has very good power. He can give a hit and move tacklers backwards.

Daniels has been beset by the injury bug, just enough to keep him below his full potential. I suspect Wadley will see a lot of time in the fall.

Daniels has been beset by the injury bug, just enough to keep him below his full potential. I suspect Wadley will see a lot of time in the fall.

History certainly backs up what you say about pt for AW. I like his patience to allow his blocking to set up and then his burst to get through the hole.

To be a major contender, speed is essential. Only one of those guys has the game speed necessary to really compete with the big dogs. Go with what works for most of the plays.

Wadley is playing right now at about 190 lbs. He's gained some weight, and the comments from Greg Davis, and others, are that he is matured, and improved.

I think the video interviews from assistant coaches are posted on here somewhere.

To me it seems pretty specific comments about players. uch more specific comments than past springs. You can pretty much see the RB and receiver rotations and 2-3 deeps as they are now from Davis, and others comments.

We have 3 running backs that are going to be very useful this year. If we can get any sort of passing going with the young receivers, our offense could be very very good this year. But it's still a pretty big if IMO.

I think the plan is to use all 3 of our RBs as they all bring a unique skill set that can contribute as a very productive unit.

Health is always a concern so I think there is also a mindset that if we can spread the touches between the 3, it will help them remain fresh throughout the year and limit the chances of 1 guy getting dinged up from taking a large number of hits.

I personally like Wadley more than Daniels as well but I think Daniels injuries make it hard to really evaluate him. I would be disappointed if both these guys didn't get at least 10 + touches each when healthy.

We saw last year signs of our RB's having a coming out party. Agree if they can stay healthy it could be another good year for them.Hopefully no injuries.