Votes: 67 37.2%
  • Tate to Holloway; Hawks Win Cap One

Votes: 50 27.8%
  • Stanzi to McNutt; Culminating 'The Drive'

Votes: 54 30.0%
  • Hartlieb to Cook, at OSU in 1987

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Houghtlins FG was #1 vs. #2. Tonight was #6 against a nobody to win a game we should have dominated. Yes "The Drive" salvaged an undefeated record, but, It should have never been that close in the first place. If we do the same thing in Pasadena at the end of the season for a win, ask again and my answer may be different. This will boil down to age. Who was alive to see Robs FG and youth living the adrenaline from tonight. Good poll.

Last edited:
This one, as huge as Tate to Holloway was, this play keeps us alive for much bigger things than winning the Capital One bowl.

I wasn't born yet when Rob kicked the game winner against michigan so I choose Stanzi to McNutt. "The Catch" in the capital one bowl comes in second to me because that game did not have the implications that this game could eventually have.

I voted "Tate to Holloway" for a couple reasons, most of which have to do with me rather than the Iowa football team. I'm only 20 years old, so I wasn't around for Houghtlin's field goal. Tonight's play was awesome, but it was set up by an entire drive. Tate to Holloway was so improbable because the Hawks were 56 yards away from paydirt with no time left in a big time bowl game. Plus, I personally attended that game, which just added to my euphoria. GO HAWKS!

I chose Tate to Holloway. I will never forget that, being in the stands with my Dad and Uncle ... almost falling down the stadium steps from jumping around so much. Stanzi to McNutt isn't far behind though.

This one, as huge as Tate to Holloway was, this play keeps us alive for much bigger things than winning the Capital One bowl.
With that justification the 2 blocked FG's against UNI would be bigger than Tate Holloway.... Not a good enough reason. Still not #1 vs #2. Can't even compare.

i really don't know what to put i'm torn. Well i guess i have to go with tate to halloway because it was a bowl game. It may change though if iowa ends up running the table this year.

Like everyone else has said, the future will tell us more about this one. as for me, i have to go with tate and holloway. i think i had a concussion from my head hitting the ceiling when they threw that past, i jumped that high. tonight was just as dramatic though.

The result of every other option is known. This one remains 'pregnant' with possibilities. Those possibilities are immense.

Stanzi to McNutt takes it because no other Hawkeye team has ever gone 8-0. Plus on that drive we had to get in the endzone, as a field goal would not have been enough. Getting it in the endzone is harder when they know you are going to pass than a getting in field goal range. Tate to Holloway is a close second, but it doesn't hold the implications that this game could.

Stanzi to McNutt takes it because no other Hawkeye team has ever gone 8-0. Plus on that drive we had to get in the endzone, as a field goal would not have been enough. Getting it in the endzone is harder when they know you are going to pass than a getting in field goal range. Tate to Holloway is a close second, but it doesn't hold the implications that this game could.

+1 on Stanzi to McNutt for the reason above. Couple that with the Iowa offense not doing much all night and that drive was much more impressive.

It takes a big thing to get my wife jumping up and down yelling and screaming.....

I choose Stanzi to McNutt because I was not alive for Rob Houghtlin's field goal and we have won and will win more Cap One bowls in the future, whereas we have never been 8-0 before.

I think you should also have to state your age before you answer.

I'd say this:

The Kick is #1.
It was #1 vs #2, it was Hayden vs Bo, it was Brent Musberger, it was in Kinnick, and with the power of hindsight, we know what a huge, huge victory that turned out to be and what it meant for the program over all. That was the defining moment of the defining season for Iowa Football. Tonight was amazing, but not... unprecedented. Not program-defining (yet?). I'd put tonight at #3. It might move to #2 by season's end though.
Really, if you include a play from a season in-progress, that play shoudl pretty much automatically be 3rd, as we don't have the benefit of hindsight to put said play into context with anything other than other great plays from that same season in-progress.

I know it was #6 vs nr but, MSU is very good and it was on the road. This was for the lead of the Big Ten. We got to 8 - 0 for the first time ever. We were underdogs. I was one year old during the #1 vs #2 Michigan game but I bet we were favored to (or should have been) win that game. Tonights game was the toughest remaining game. We should be favored to win the rest. We now still have a shot at a NC! Both teams played a great and hard fought game. MSU gave us their best shot and pulled out all the stops!

Iowa should have dominated this game? The game should not have been close? Those revealing comments are pure silliness.

The kick in 85 was much bigger, it was the headline game with 1 vs 2, tops. This, this was close its equal in gametime drama, but not in the headline aspect, so its #2 with a bullet.

Last edited:
I voted Stanzi to McNutt. I was alive for Houghtlin and it was very big. However, Iowa has never been 8-0 in its history and it took this play to do it.

Latest posts