Video & Transcript: Kirk Ferentz Iowa Talks Football

Hawkeye Coach Addresses QB Position, Brian Ferentz, More

Thanks for pressing questions on the advisory committee. Keep on it. That being said, I do like the idea of having members of the committee be closer to the current players. At some point, feedback from individuals 10+ years and five states removed from the program becomes circular.

The most noteworthy part of the press conference was clearly throwing the QB competition wide open. The fact that Labas was explicitly mentioned might support the message board rumors that he has the "it" factor which has been missing since CBJ left for the NFL.

Thanks for pressing questions on the advisory committee. Keep on it. That being said, I do like the idea of having members of the committee be closer to the current players. At some point, feedback from individuals 10+ years and five states removed from the program becomes circular.

The most noteworthy part of the press conference was clearly throwing the QB competition wide open. The fact that Labas was explicitly mentioned might support the message board rumors that he has the "it" factor which has been missing since CBJ left for the NFL.
Labas will get public love from the coaches these days because they REALLY need him to stick around if the loser of the Petras/Padilla competition leaves campus after spring practice.

I have criticized Iowa's media as being soft on KF on this Board before, but my opinion of Rob and the others asking questions in that conference shot way up. The questions were respectful, but tough. No one particularly pulled punches. KF was a bit surly, but he answered the questions mostly with his usual coach speech. I wish he had Fran's media ability and candor.

Bottom line: he isn't quitting, he isn't firing his son, there will not be radical changes, and they will just keep working hard to try to win in basically the same manner as always.

Some may not like it. But he has held this job for 20+ years being himself.

I have criticized Iowa's media as being soft on KF on this Board before, but my opinion of Rob and the others asking questions in that conference shot way up. The questions were respectful, but tough. No one particularly pulled punches. KF was a bit surly, but he answered the questions mostly with his usual coach speech. I wish he had Fran's media ability and candor.

Bottom line: he isn't quitting, he isn't firing his son, there will not be radical changes, and they will just keep working hard to try to win in basically the same manner as always.

Some may not like it. But he has held this job for 20+ years being himself.
Correct. 8-4 is the ceiling this year. Roasted by OSU and UM and WI, toss-ups vs. PU and NW. Rinse and repeat.