Video of Scherff doing 385 and 400 hang clean

I normally don't care for meatheads but when I do I prefer them to be Hawkeyes.

1311854637057305900.gif

Not to be a negative nancy but should he be swinging his shoulders/back backwards before doing the clean?

still impressive.

Not to be a negative nancy but should he be swinging his shoulders/back backwards before doing the clean?

still impressive.

The backward bending thing isn't a big deal, he's got a back belt on and he does it to get the bar moving. Most guys use the same motion to finish a heavy deadlift rep.

Explosion/burst hang cleans are a little different than a strict Olympic clean. Going from the knees rather than the floor makes you focus more on the short area burst from your hips to get the bar moving. As long as you're bending your legs and not staying stiff you're probably alright.

His form is fairly good & he made 400lbs look pretty easy still.

In order to get the bar moving he should just be lowering it to his knees, not wretching his back. That way it recruits the hips and the rest of the posterior chain more, where most of the fast-twitch muscles are located for explosive movements.

You're going to be able to clean more weight using your back like that, which is why (I'm assuming) he was doing it like that, as it appears they were looking for their 1RM. But it isn't as beneficial to your speed/power development if he were to clean like that everytime.

Let's hope we see some d-lineman getting thrown around like those weights...He is one big boy:)

Interesting thoughts on his back and all, however, the hang clean is meant to be a violent exercise, just as it would be during a game. His form is pretty damn good for 400lbs!!!, you have to admit. The heavier the weight, the more difficult the technique involved. In a game, he will be able to use the same movement on a 290 lb defensive end, theoretically, with far greater ease. Also, Coach Doyle is one the brightest minds when it comes to activating your core muscles. Someone would definitely ruin there back doing this without biulding their core muscles built up. Unreal couple of lifts thought... wow.

On SVP today, Handball Steve point out to Scott that a Chinese woman lifted 412 Lbs over her head and held it there yesterday @ the 'lympics

Scherff was PWN3D by a chinese WOMAN

Last edited by a moderator:
On SVP today, Handball Steve point out to Scott that a Chinese woman lifted 412 Lbs over her head and held it there yesterday @ the 'lympics

Scherff was PWN3D by a chinese WOMAN
Since they are cheating with genetic modification, it doesn't count.

Latest posts