Vandy's Fumble

HOBBYHAWK

I don't blame this on him at all. We keep hearing about how Brad Rodgers has not had any reps and has been out for 11 months or so and is just now getting back to practicing and getting his stamina back. Why in the world do we figure the best time for him to come back is at that time yet we don't bring anyone in to spell coker for a bit as a nice change of pace. I like Brad Rodgers and wish he was here all year but man that is asking a lot of that guy right out of the gate. This is really the only thing that intrigued me of the game. We played bad and deserved to lose but just didn't understand this at all. He must have shown something in practice.

I said the exact same thing when this play happened to the people I was watching with. It made no sense. If anything White should have been in there to spell Coker and at least pick up the blitz. This was very odd to me too.

I was also surprised they didn't look to see if Vandenbergs arm was moving forward. I don't think it was, but they didn't even check it out and usually those types of plays are at least looked at for review.

I was also surprised they didn't look to see if Vandenbergs arm was moving forward. I don't think it was, but they didn't even check it out and usually those types of plays are at least looked at for review.

When they looked as inept as they did today, nobody even cared Vberg's arm might have been going forward.

Agreed. That one wasn't on Vandy. He got blind sided by a blitz that he (rightfully) expected to be picked up. I thought it was curious as well to have Rogers in at that point. Can't really blame him, either. He shouldn't have been put in that position.

Agreed. That one wasn't on Vandy. He got blind sided by a blitz that he (rightfully) expected to be picked up. I thought it was curious as well to have Rogers in at that point. Can't really blame him, either. He shouldn't have been put in that position.[/QUOT

There is no way Vandy couldn't have felt the pressure coming from that side though. He needs to learn to step up into the pocket. His tunnel vision kills him in this case IMO.

I think it was a good call. Arm was not moving forward.

I think Rieff was not in the game at that time and that's where the defender came from.

A ridiculous decision by the coaching staff to put Rogers in the game at that point.

Absolutely inexcusable and is the kind of Mickey Mouse garbage we consistently get with this staff.

I would hope someone asks about Rogers being in there but never spelling Coker at this week presser. I do not understand never trying one of the other two backs. I know they are concerned about fumbles, blocking etc. but at some point you have to try. I can live with Kirk's conservative style of play up to a point. There are times when just have to at least check if something else will work or at least put a little spark into the team.

I'm glad to see a post on this too..Rogers hasn't practiced since December..Love Rogers but he looked atrocious on that blitz pick up..And I blame Ferentz for putting him in that position..I have a hard time believing he was football speed ready..

I agree. Rogers should never have been in that position. The first thing i said when i saw the missed block was; who was that? I think 38 is rogers, but it can't be because he hasn't played in about a year. I feel sorry for the kid because he never should have been in that position at that time of the game. If there is no fumble, penn state very likely does not score a touchdown. That being said, we probably would still have lost 6-3. Offense was pathetic, no other way around it.

Agreed. That one wasn't on Vandy. He got blind sided by a blitz that he (rightfully) expected to be picked up. I thought it was curious as well to have Rogers in at that point. Can't really blame him, either. He shouldn't have been put in that position.[/QUOT

There is no way Vandy couldn't have felt the pressure coming from that side though. He needs to learn to step up into the pocket. His tunnel vision kills him in this case IMO.

If it had been picked up like it should have been, there would have been no problem. And that guy just knifed through the line. Any delay at all in stepping up results in a sack, because that blitzer got there in the blink of an eye.

I was really surprised that there was no intention of taking a second look at the play to see if Vandenberg's arm was moving forward or not. Not that it would have made a huge difference seeing how our offense was non-existant, but who know

The only negative I can think of on that play on JVB part is that the PSU player was showing blitz and he could have audibled a quick check. The reason the PSU player got such a good jump was because he was moving when the ball was snapped. I put some of the blame on Vandy.

The only negative I can think of on that play on JVB part is that the PSU player was showing blitz and he could have audibled a quick check. The reason the PSU player got such a good jump was because he was moving when the ball was snapped. I put some of the blame on Vandy.

He also knew that he had a back in for blitz pickup. Rogers was in position, and just got blown away. But Vandy couldn't see that, as it was on his blindside. But you can't operate under the assumption that your blockers are going to fail. That's practically the definition of happy feet.