Vandenberg Time: Is He Ready? (& 2009 OSU highlights)

Watching that just makes me wonder what if all over again....we should have won the B10 title in 09 and maybe more.

Hard to say.

Two mediocre and one great game isn't a large enough "N" to draw a statistical comparison from.

Jon your entire write up is based on one game

Vandy missed several throws in his first game, and didn't play that well vs Minnesota either.

Not saying he's going to be bad, but I think you're basing your entire outlook on one game, and IMO that's a dumb thing to do.

Vandy missed several throws in his first game, and didn't play that well vs Minnesota either.

Not saying he's going to be bad, but I think you're basing your entire outlook on one game, and IMO that's a dumb thing to do.

I think it is more than one game...it is his high school records, and antedotal evidence of his superior footwork and Golden Arm....

From a mechanical standpoint, Vandy has a whole lot to like....now, that is not the whole shebang on qbing in the Big Ten,but without it,you have no shot. He has great footwork, very quick release,and a golden arm.
Now, field vision,leadership,poise,ect are harder to determine,but he showed a lot all of this in the pressure cooker at the Shoe.

He has better physical tools than Ricky,there is no doubt about that.
Does he have the rest? We shall see,but I like his chances.

I think a lot of people are doing that. Consider me skeptical.

20-33 in the shoe is pretty good and he should have had several more completions that were drops.
I'd say more like 23-33 and should've had another TD. One bad pick missed ,one pick given to the D so even there and four passes he should have had and one(TM) he shouldn't have had.
All in all if Stross catches that first TD drop we are in the drivers seat and I think we win that game. Looking back at it JVB had a typical first timers game as a QB. He put some balls in there where RS wouldn't have and he threw some bad ones as well. IRC he was light on Rb's at the time as well. I like his chances with 2 more years maturity a good O line and Coker et. al behind him.

"...but it will be the intangibles that will tell Vandenberg’s tale…what kind of a leader is he? Does he inspire his teammates the way Stanzi did? Can he flush mistakes and come back the next drive and keep attacking? Will he spend the extra time in the film room that separates the best from the pack?
We won’t know the answers to these questions for several months."

The write up made no assertions or predictions. It's a dumb thing to assert that it did ;)

Stanzi is to Long....what Vandenberg will be to Vlasic if that makes sense to anyone. Has a better skill set than Stanzi and would not shock me if his pro career is better, but 10 years from now it will be Stanzi who we will remember because of better bowl games, better stats, better winning pct., etc.

Stanzi is to Long....what Vandenberg will be to Vlasic if that makes sense to anyone. Has a better skill set than Stanzi and would not shock me if his pro career is better, but 10 years from now it will be Stanzi who we will remember because of better bowl games, better stats, better winning pct., etc.

Time will tell if your prediction holds true, but JVB, like Vlasic, has a cannon. Time to grow the 'stache, JVB!

Time will tell if your prediction holds true, but JVB, like Vlasic, has a cannon. Time to grow the 'stache, JVB!

Lol, I've got a game day program from the '86 season, lets just say the Iowa team had a lot of staches,a couple of jheri curls and a bunch of dudes wearing huge clown like glasses......That was the style back then.:)

"...but it will be the intangibles that will tell Vandenberg’s tale…what kind of a leader is he? Does he inspire his teammates the way Stanzi did? Can he flush mistakes and come back the next drive and keep attacking? Will he spend the extra time in the film room that separates the best from the pack?
We won’t know the answers to these questions for several months."

The write up made no assertions or predictions. It's a dumb thing to assert that it did ;)

The entire article is based around one game Jon...

Try taking a look at the NW and Minnesota games

And hs records don't matter once you get to college, everyone at the d1 level was good in hs.

Physical tools is a good measurement, but hs stats don't mean anything in college. Nobody cares.

I agree with Jon that JVB has better tools at the QB position.
No question he can make all the throws.

With that said, Stanzi's teammates would have walked over broken glass for him. They believed Stanzi would lead them wherever they needed to go.
That's a trait that I believe people are born with.
Does JVB have that leader trait?
I'm guessing he does at least on some level.

For me it is this simple...
It wasn't necessarily how he played in the 'Shoe, it was what I perceived as an "un-phased" demeanor.

That was always Stanzi's best trait, nothing phased him.

I think JVB plays well this season & next.

I asked DJK what he thought about JVB and he said "he's the real deal".

Let's hope that's one thing he was being honest about. :)

Even if you're way off in either direction, GREAT POST!!!

I'm excited and anxious to see what JVB can do. My big concern right now is that he does throw a fastball which could effect his accuracy on crossing patterns, etc. i.e. throwing behind receivers instead of leading them more. All in all though, I think he has great potential.

I can't wait for the opener! I keep telling myself this was him 16 months ago (OSU highlights). Imagine how much better he'll be now plus all of spring/fall training camps as QB1. I'm excited to say the least. The potential is there :)

There are a lot of other postion question marks with the Hawkeyes that are ahead of the quarterback postion.
We know Vandenburg lacks experiance and this year is going to be a growing season for him. Hopefully by the end of the year we will have a good idea if he is all potential or bust.

Latest posts