Van Coleman takes a shot at Lick

PJHawk

Saw this in a story on the morehouse blog:

"Van Coleman, who runs the basketball recruiting site Hoopmasters.com, said Iowa’s recruiting approach has to change. He mentioned Iowa’s relationship with Rock Island (Ill.) guard Chasson Randle. According to Coleman, Randle’s recruitment with Iowa was almost exclusively through assistant coaches.

“The head coach has got to be involved as well as the assistants,” Coleman said. “I think Chasson was quoted as saying the only head coach who’s recruiting him he hadn’t heard from was the one hear at Iowa. That’s got to change and I think it will based on the comments you just heard.”

McCaffery’s recruiting miles cover east, south, midwest | GazetteOnline.com

I think it's real clear that coach Lick drastically under estimated what it takes to recruit players. Like coach said this morning on KXNO… all hands on deck (credit Jon). You must use all resources… you don’t have to like it, but you have to use what you need to use. I think you can work the AAU circuit without “selling out” to those coaches who want payouts etc….

Those who supported Lick said that his approach to recruiting overall, and Randle specifically, was nothing unusual,and perfectly sound.
Even Van Coleman, a lick defender, acknowledges that to not be true.

Now, can Fran get back in on Randle? He has indicated that he will be making a decision sometime this spring/summer,so time's awasting.. might be a reach,but I will say one thing...if somehow Fran got Randle to sign on the dotted line next November 15, it would be hugely inspiring evidence that a new era has truly begun for Iowa bb and I think would juice the students and fans to come out and support them...all we need is hope,and nothing gives more hope than signed top 50 recruits... I honestly think that there was true enthusiasm for SA his first year because he already had a top 10 class signed before his first game as coach at Iowa,with Worley,Reiner and Recker on the horizon...get it done,Fran, please!!

One of the obstacles to getting back in will be that LaVall Jordan is gone, and he was the guy responsible for Randle being interested in us to begin with.
I'm sure LaVall is not the only person that knows how to develop a relationship.
Question is exactly how much time is Chasson going to give the process.Looks like there will be a much more exciting BB system to play in and likely a much greater chance on playing at Iowa.

I think Fran will make it a priority to get in on every Iowa kid that he can. Now, be prepared for a lot of catching up to do, but his program will have a different sell to it style wise than Lickliters...that;s like recruiting with one hand behind your back

Van takes the shot now at Lick and his recruiting....yet he ranked Iowa's recruiting class a top 25 class. The guy once again shows that he is an idiot

Van takes the shot now at Lick and his recruiting....yet he ranked Iowa's recruiting class a top 25 class. The guy once again shows that he is an idiot

That was a preliminary ranking,with a number of uncommitted players yet to decide. Van was the only one that had them that high,also.
I suspect when he issues final rankings,Iowa will not be in the top 25.

Right...because one has ANYTHING to do with the other...

Typical Clone. Van's an idiot because you don't want Iowa's class to be good.

Right...because one has ANYTHING to do with the other...

Typical Clone. Van's an idiot because you don't want Iowa's class to be good.

Do you not get the point? Wait I am talking to Shane....of course you don't.

He ranks Iowa's class top 25 right now which is a very good ranking. Yet at the same time he is taking shots at Lickliter for how he recruits? One cannot equal the other.

For the record I agree with him that Lick didn't do a good job recruiting top notch players. But like I said if that is the case than you can't rank his class top 25 (especially when nobody else has it top 40)

I don't think it was a shot at Lick, more of just a fact, head coaches should be involved in most recruiting.

Do you not get the point? Wait I am talking to Shane....of course you don't.

He ranks Iowa's class top 25 right now which is a very good ranking. Yet at the same time he is taking shots at Lickliter for how he recruits? One cannot equal the other.

For the record I agree with him that Lick didn't do a good job recruiting top notch players. But like I said if that is the case than you can't rank his class top 25 (especially when nobody else has it top 40)

Right...I never get the point. Of all of the people on this site, you're the smart one and I'm the idiot...nice try.

Point out the shot he took? He said Lickliter didn't get directly involved...how is that a shot? That's called "a statement". And ranking a class has nothing to do with not being directly involved as the head coach.

Shane...u know better than this.

Yelling at Clown for being stupid is like yelling at your toliet for not flushing right.

Neither one will understand.

Shane...u know better than this.

Yelling at Clown for being stupid is like yelling at your toliet for not flushing right.

Neither one will understand.

Well said Corbin...what in the heck was I thinking!?!?

Someone get him a juice box til his mom gets here.

...prepared for a lot of catching up to do, but his program will have a different sell to it style wise than Lickliters...that's like recruiting with one hand behind your back

If Lick's "style" was truly that hard to sell (one hand tied behind the back?) this program was never going anywhere with him at the helm.

Ok let's say Van didn't take a "shot" at Lick.

He did question his recruiting though and the way that Lick did it (rightfully so) but I find it funny that he is the only guy in America to rank Iowa's recruiting class and than after the coach leaves he comments on the recruiting techniques. So if his recruiting was so bad Van.....why would you rank it top 25?!?

He did question his recruiting though and the way that Lick did it (rightfully so) but I find it funny that he is the only guy in America to rank Iowa's recruiting class and than after the coach leaves he comments on the recruiting techniques. So if his recruiting was so bad Van.....why would you rank it top 25?!?

Let's just be honest here... Most of those kids are Iowa guys. How much recruiting did Lick have to do? They didn't come here for Lick, they came to play for Iowa... as you see with them still committed after Lick is gone. 1 thing I will tell you is, I'm sold on Fran even more than now, if he can recruit lil Lick to stay!

Let's just be honest here... Most of those kids are Iowa guys. How much recruiting did Lick have to do? They didn't come here for Lick, they came to play for Iowa... as you see with them still committed after Lick is gone. 1 thing I will tell you is, I'm sold on Fran even more than now, if he can recruit lil Lick to stay!

While it is correct "they are Iowa guys" I would expand it a little bit. With the exception of Larsen the recruits the last two years have fallen into one of two groups

Iowa Guys - May, Coughill, McCabe, Marble (legacy)

Returning from injury - Payne (back during senior year) & Brust (broken ankle as a junior). This may have limited those two players options to play at the high D1 level.

It's like Deace was saying this morning...these recruiting experts tend to overvalue the guys they see the most...Rivals in Texas, Leming in the Chicagoland area...Van probably did the same thing...

But you're still missing the point C17...saying that Lick wasn't hands on has nothing to do the class ranking...

Latest posts