Uthoff on Pistons Summer League Roster

Hope Jarrod makes it, but at some point does his age start to hurt him? Assume he's already 25 or 26, so if a NBA team is looking for someone at the end of the bench, wouldn't they prefer someone 4-5 years younger to hopefully develop?

Hope Jarrod makes it, but at some point does his age start to hurt him? Assume he's already 25 or 26, so if a NBA team is looking for someone at the end of the bench, wouldn't they prefer someone 4-5 years younger to hopefully develop?

His age shouldn't hurt him as far as getting a short term deal, which would probably be the only kind of offer he'd get anyway in his position.

His age won't work against him, it's all about when his game is ready.

There are lots of guys that play overseas for several years then get their shot. PJ Tucker of the Rockets spent 5 years overseas then got his shot with the Phx Suns at age 28. He got it by making hustle and D his trademarks.

Good for JU, sometimes you just need an opportunity.

The article doesn't say what kind of contract Jarrod signed. Is he guaranteed a roster spot? Did he sign a two way contract? Time will tell.

The Grizz got Josh Jackson, infamous KU one and done and #4 drafp tick, and have assigned him to the G League to start the season. JU and JJ basically play the same position, could that mean JU is a stop gap until JJ is ready to move up to the big team?

Again, all you can ask for is an opportunity.

Hey, I just checked and JU got into the Grizz preseason game tonight where they beat the Thunder by 5.

JU was 0-3, all from deep in 7 minutes of play, not great but good that he at least got in the game evidently on the day he signed.

Nice, I tried searching where he ended up about a week ago and couldn't find a trail. Not sure what type of contract but any type is a move in the right direction for anyone aspiring to crack into the league full time.

So signed a guy then released him the next day for 3 days in a row? What the heck is the point of that?

I saw a ditty in the Memphis press that said 'as expected, the Grizzlies waived Jarrod Uthoff after one game. Expect to see him on the Memphis Hustle G League roster'.

Last edited:
The glamour of the G League.

With 4:07 left in the second quarter Monday, the game was stopped after a puddle had developed at midcourt. In a news release, the Hustle officials called it a “weather-related building issue.”

Well, there was rain in Southaven. The water came from vents in the ceiling. They couldn’t stop the dripping, and postponed the game.

Uthoff, by the way, averaged 22 points and 10.5 rebounds in the Hustle’s first two games. He is back in the G League after playing in Russia last season. He briefly was in the Memphis Grizzlies’ training camp before getting waived and becoming a Grizzlies affiliate player with the Hustle.

The glamour of the G League.

With 4:07 left in the second quarter Monday, the game was stopped after a puddle had developed at midcourt. In a news release, the Hustle officials called it a “weather-related building issue.”

Well, there was rain in Southaven. The water came from vents in the ceiling. They couldn’t stop the dripping, and postponed the game.

Uthoff, by the way, averaged 22 points and 10.5 rebounds in the Hustle’s first two games. He is back in the G League after playing in Russia last season. He briefly was in the Memphis Grizzlies’ training camp before getting waived and becoming a Grizzlies affiliate player with the Hustle.
Makes the ole CBA back in the day not look so bad.

Uthoff was the one Iowa player I thought had a legitimate shot at sticking as a reserve in the NBA. Just shows you how tough it is to crack an NBA roster. They chew you up and spit you out real fast. I saw the other day that Sam Dekkar already washed out of the NBA and is over in Europe

Uthoff was the one Iowa player I thought had a legitimate shot at sticking as a reserve in the NBA. Just shows you how tough it is to crack an NBA roster. They chew you up and spit you out real fast. I saw the other day that Sam Dekkar already washed out of the NBA and is over in Europe

It's a different type of game than college but I never understood why more people don't appreciate the NBA game for what it is in the best players in the world playing man to man D... no Defenders clogging up the lane, no stalling or watching 30 second possessions and best level of officiating. Been watching a ton of NBA this year. Fun now that we can wager on it now too!