USS Luka Garza analysis

revkev73

Fact, indisputable it seems, Luka Garza is one of the most improved players, year over year, in the country. He is perhaps the most improved, ever, in Iowa BB history, on a one year jump.

Analysis:

Luka has worked hard to become much more fit. He is more muscular with great endurance and a high performance diesel engine that keeps on going.

Luka is better this year because he hasn't had to recover from some pretty serious surgery, like last year.

Luka has developed a long range shot that forces big men to go outside to defend, or if not, better yet, he can shoot it and is pretty decent at it and seems unafraid to let it fly from 3 range.

Luka has developed many post moves, short flip or jump shots, and overall gets great position and works at it until he gets in a good spot to accept the ball.

Luka has that "It" some players have, to draw a lot of fouls.

Luka has had many more opportunities to score this year. He is the featured Aircraft Carrier on the team. He can shoot, or pass, but is used primarily as a scorer.

Luka has players on his team who have taken hold of team play, and are unselfish enough to get the ball to him, when he is in good spots. Pemsl, CMac, Toussaint and the others who aren't big scoring threats seem to enjoy getting it to the big guy.

Luka has developed physically but also mentally, with a desire to be better, and is now a player who is teeming with confidence. This confidence seems to have infected the team. It is leadership, 101.

To finish my analysis, I believe this one of the main reasons Luka has had such a great year. Iowa now has outside shooters, who can shoot, who will shoot and are good at it and can get their shots off. Neither Joe W nor CJ can be left alone. The same is also true of Kriener when he is in the game with Luka. It is very risky for a team to leave any of these shooters alone for free fire drills from long range. Teams have been forced to pick their poison and attempt to stop Luka one on one whenever possible. So, to Iowa's advantage, teams are having to "pick their poison" on how to defend The Hawkeyes. This is a new dynamic to Iowa's teams. Luka also benefits the team with his ability to pass if team's do decide to double him up.

Shooters who can make shots and get shots off and are unafraid to shoot are a great help to Luka's overall game and the success of the team to this point. The team has fight, resiliency, tenacity (Toussaint ++) and chemistry. The team is imperfect and will lose, probably some they should win, like most teams. But this team is different, it seems, it seems like they can go places, and get it done. We know they will give it their best shot. There aren't many "head hangers" on this club.

My two cents, comments?

I like you analysis. It is spot on. I would also like to add, that if the outside shooters are having a slow start to shooting the rock, Garza can go up on the high post and draw defenders out with him. This opens up the inside lanes for our guys to drive to the basket. When Joe W gets a guy on his hip, he is so explosive to the basket, it’s almost automatic. But it’s not just Joe W, it also opens it up for CJ, CMac, and JT to drive the lanes. If Kreiner is in there, same thing, but it also opens up the high/low post game. This is the best team Fran has had to date in terms of offensive diversity. But guess what? It will be even better next year. JBo returns, Nunge plugs in for Kreiner, and PMac should more than make up for the loss of Evelyn. Then you add in our 5 man recruiting class for depth. I smell a championship.

The reverse pivot has turned him into a Kevin Mchale or Hakeem the dream type player. He is becoming difficult to guard

He is noticeably quicker this year too. If he gets even quicker next year (which I assume he will) he just might make the NBA. If Woody would have somehow undeveloped Luka's offensive game, we would have been the best team in the nation in '15. Obviously that if is so huge it's not even really worth talking about.

He is noticeably quicker this year too. If he gets even quicker next year (which I assume he will) he just might make the NBA. If Woody would have somehow undeveloped Luka's offensive game, we would have been the best team in the nation in '15. Obviously that if is so huge it's not even really worth talking about.

I love Woodbury, but it was never happening with his T-Rex arms and (perhaps resultant) lack of touch around the basket.

TinyStretch.0.jpg

The reverse pivot has turned him into a Kevin Mchale or Hakeem the dream type player. He is becoming difficult to guard
Yes, he has some McHale and Dream in him. I still like the Sikma comarison given his high release three point shot and ability to score inside and out.

I did see Hakeem the Dream play in the regional finals in St. Louis years ago. What an athlete. Mid court, about 20 rows up! I think Houston beat Wake Forrest in the regional final. Lost to Georgetown in the finals?

It seems to me that the vast majority of defenders Garza is facing and doing well against, are a bit puzzled and confused about how to guard someone with such variable post moves. Now, BB is jumping, not artfully implementing post moves that can confuse and dominate the game, and drawing fouls. A couple of times when Garza changing things up with short jump shots or flips vs Rutgers, the defender simply hung his head and starting moving to the other end. Kind of like "Predator" ending. "What The Hell Are You?" :)

I love Woodbury, but it was never happening with his T-Rex arms and (perhaps resultant) lack of touch around the basket.

His inability to score and lack of touch was my biggest surprise with Woodbury. I thought for sure he would turn into a double digit scorer for Iowa. He was good defensively and a decent rebounder but we were all hoping for much more.

His inability to score and lack of touch was my biggest surprise with Woodbury. I thought for sure he would turn into a double digit scorer for Iowa. He was good defensively and a decent rebounder but we were all hoping for much more.

The guy was a master at poking out eyes though.
adam-woodbury-020815-vine-ftr_114gjn69q5p7s14gvkjxkpgz75.jpg

Yes, he has some McHale and Dream in him. I still like the Sikma comarison given his high release three point shot and ability to score inside and out.

I did see Hakeem the Dream play in the regional finals in St. Louis years ago. What an athlete. Mid court, about 20 rows up! I think Houston beat Wake Forrest in the regional final. Lost to Georgetown in the finals?

It seems to me that the vast majority of defenders Garza is facing and doing well against, are a bit puzzled and confused about how to guard someone with such variable post moves. Now, BB is jumping, not artfully implementing post moves that can confuse and dominate the game, and drawing fouls. A couple of times when Garza changing things up with short jump shots or flips vs Rutgers, the defender simply hung his head and starting moving to the other end. Kind of like "Predator" ending. "What The Hell Are You?" :)
Against Michigan I saw him do a Danny Manning up and under and score. You don't see the move very much anymore

It could be that having a nine pound cyst removed from his abdomen helped him some.
No doubt being over a year past from having that behind him has to have helped. Hard to think he was 100% all of last yr even. Perfect storm this season with Cook having moved on and he being healthy and developed to the point where he's became the stud he has. He's been nothing short of amazing pretty much every game. To think he's only gotten better during the BIG stretch of the season is even more impressive.

Against Michigan I saw him do a Danny Manning up and under and score. You don't see the move very much anymore
He is kind of a "Swiss Army Knife" center. Lots of tools to use. And what I like about him, even if he isn't scoring, he is still working hard on defense and helping to facilitate scoring for the others. Team player!

Remember at the beginning of the year when Garza was lightling up bad teams and people were saying "we will see what happens once the competition steps up". No one could have guessed that his production would have gone up too. Earlier when we were starting to notice Garza wasn't fouling, I assumed that wasn't sustainable and he would have plenty of fouls by the end of the year. Well we are 2/3 of the way through and he's still not fouling. It's funny to think back to what our mindsets were about him, even 10 games ago. He just keeps getting better.

Remember at the beginning of the year when Garza was lightling up bad teams and people were saying "we will see what happens once the competition steps up". No one could have guessed that his production would have gone up too. Earlier when we were starting to notice Garza wasn't fouling, I assumed that wasn't sustainable and he would have plenty of fouls by the end of the year. Well we are 2/3 of the way through and he's still not fouling. It's funny to think back to what our mindsets were about him, even 10 games ago. He just keeps getting better.
Garza has been mentioned, by announcers, etc. as being an All American, as perhaps "the best player in college" and MVP. Opposing coaches have said this also. His performance has earned this "street cred." This same "Street Cred" is now part of the officiating crews mindset...you get some no-calls when you are on defense and get the benefit of the doubt when it "appears" to be a foul on a top level player. All is good.

He is kind of a "Swiss Army Knife" center. Lots of tools to use. And what I like about him, even if he isn't scoring, he is still working hard on defense and helping to facilitate scoring for the others. Team player!
Him getting in better shape has caused him to block more shots

Latest posts