USC=BCS killer

A). USC will not win out.

B). An undefeated team from a POWER conference (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, SEC, etc.) will not be passed up for a one-loss team.

C). Iowa's strength of schedule is too strong.

Obviously, there's a lot of football left and Iowa winning all 4 solves a lot off issues... granted. However, one things that concerns me a bit are quotes like this

"Not even a continuous loop of Ohio State's Craig Krenzel and Maurice Clarett winning the 2003 Fiesta Bowl would convince the nation Iowa has shot. Heck, even coach Kirk Ferentz is not sure about his squad. "I still have a hard time even picturing us in the top 10," he said on a Tuesday teleconference. The Hawkeyes might deserve a spot in the big game, but it wouldn't make many people happy." (Sporting News - Dave Curtis http://www.sportingnews.com/college...10-28/five-title-bouts-we-beg-bcs-not-produce)

Perhaps that's the advantage (if there is one) to having the week of conference championship games off. Kirk can start selling the accomplishments of the team without worrying about affecting game performance instead of the "we're not really that good" approach that gives the humans that vote in the Harris and Coaches polls reasons to say "see ... even HE doesn't think they belong there."

Based on some of his recent articles, he doesn't get it when it comes to college football... he's more concerned about the perception of a team and than whether the best play in the NC game. That, in my opinion, is poor writing and departs from what sports are truly about...

Latest posts