US Army Game babies

That is pretty shallow. It was good to see some of those players do have a grip on reality and don't care what number they get.

I really like the way Iowa does it. Each year FR are assigned a number and thats it. If they want a different one, the have to wait until the guy wearing it leaves. Plenty of guys have switched and thats okay. KMM used to be #89. Jason White changed to #3 after BW left.

In high school I always wanted to be #7, got it fr. Year but not soph or jr. Happy I got it as a senior though, brad banks was the reason I fell in love with that number and I seriously believe it's a lucky number. Many great football players have and are 7. Elway, banks, Rothlesburger (sp?), Vick, McNutt. Just to name a few.

A favorite number does matter.

Look - do I think this is insane? Yes. Do I think it's going to stop or get better? No ******* way.

CFB is a HUGE money grab right now. All you need to do is look at the BCS schedule to see it. No longer is it a NYD extravaganza, because they won't compete against eachother for ratings. It is all about cash for these programs to enrich coaches, AD's, conferences, the Universities and give wealthy boosters some pretty insane access to some insane kind of events.

These kids are going to start being treated as professional athletes without the paycheck. They are going to come in with egos and demands, and why shouldn't they? They are coveted commodities, and without them, you're going to be a pretty average ballclub, and get left out of the money extravaganza.

Cowherd had it right today. 48 year old white men don't have to like Oregon's uniforms. The fact is, the 17 year old from Beaumont, TX that runs a 4.3 40 and is a physical specimen, thinks they're awesome and thinks the Penn State helmet is boring.

Since the kids can't get paid, things like these and the fringe benefits associated with being a D-1 football player are going to get out of control. It will be the currency for these kids.

The anti-dote to this by the way is the following recruiting pitch.

If you want to be coddled, told you're special, given you're special number, given different uniforms, given a gazillion different kids of sweatshirts and hats, tweet, be a local celebrity, fine go to Oregon. You'll be happier there than you would be at Iowa.

If you want to eventually get paid real money to be a professional football player, come to Iowa.

Who cares. I believed in some pretty stupid stuff when I was in high school, and no one called me ungrateful, entitled, or spoiled.

We treat players like Gods, and then become surprised when they start to act like Gods. Why?

Who cares. I believed in some pretty stupid stuff when I was in high school, and no one called me ungrateful, entitled, or spoiled.

I bet they did. You just weren't talented enough for your immaturity to be displayed on a national stage :)

In high school I always wanted to be #7, got it fr. Year but not soph or jr. Happy I got it as a senior though, brad banks was the reason I fell in love with that number and I seriously believe it's a lucky number. Many great football players have and are 7. Elway, banks, Rothlesburger (sp?), Vick, McNutt. Just to name a few.

A favorite number does matter.

I hear you but please. I picked my number in HS because it was my brother's number when he was in HS. When I got to college a senior had my number so I picked a new one. It really isn't that hard and don't understand why kids make that big of a deal out of it.

The title of this thread lead me to believe there were lots of babies conceived during the US Army AA game.

You fricking cry baby ! Your *** could have been Iraq or Afganistan.Shut up and take the jersey number that guys like Pat Tillman never complained about.You make me sick !

I was somewhat picky about my number in high school. I had the same practice jersey in football for four years; a freshman tried to take it my senior year, and I pulled rank on him. It used to belong to Tork Hook, the guy I'm named after, and it had a lot of sentimental value for me.

In baseball, I wanted #33, but a sophomore had it. I had #29 for my BP jersey (which the JV wore, and the varsity on the road), but when he didn't end up playing, I got the #33 varsity vest for home games. After that, I never wore a different number. I wear it now as a coach, too.

But, I'm also a very superstitious guy lol. I don't like changing things up much, especially when it comes to baseball. I've got quite a few "things" (Monk reference). I'll damn near kill a man who tries to put on my glove.