Urban Meyer Press Conference

I wonder if Foley wishes he would've just shut up until after the sugar bowl game? I like how he kept saying how important his family is...well, not sure I can believe that.

Why don't you morons give this guy a break. He is a good man and a great coach. This was a regularly scheduled Sugar Bowl conference - he didn't have much choice but to answer the questions.

If he had such a big ego, he wouldn't go on a leave of absence. He would just keep coaching and forget about his family. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that he is unsure what to do. He wants to take care of his family and his players. The leave of absence is a compromise to address that conflict.

He may never come back. He wants some time to figure out his health problems. If he feels better about his health problems, he'll return to coaching, which he obviously loves.

The comments Lou Holtz made were telling - Holtz stated that a leave of absence would have helped him when he was coaching.

These guys just burn out. They don't work 9 to 5 jobs like most people.

The comments Lou Holtz made were telling -

If you're quoting Holtz as evidence for your argument, you've already lost.

But hey, maybe tomorrow another coach will up and say they're resigning... only, they're not! They'll just take a leave of absence instead!

If he really cared about his family, he would've gone through with the resignation instead of leaving it up in the air as to whether he will actually return or not.

I love it how some internet posters have 'inside family, or personal knowledge' of the Florida Gator's football coach.

Agree that Urban Meyer is a first class guy, who seems to operate as a man of some integrity. Clearly, he is one of the best FB coaches in America, judging by the incredible sucess he has had a 2 major programs.

I love it how some internet posters have 'inside family, or personal knowledge' of the Florida Gator's football coach.

Agree that Urban Meyer is a first class guy, who seems to operate as a man of some integrity. Clearly, he is one of the best FB coaches in America, judging by the incredible sucess he has had a 2 major programs.

Scout.com: Meyer To Take "Indefinite Leave Of Absence"

These 2 guys on CFN disagree. Guys like Saban and Kiffin and Miles are going to eat Urban Meyer up. A leave of absence?? Has this ever happened in college football. When Urban decided to walk away from the game yesterday because of his health and puttting his family first, I can respect that. I can't respect a "leave of absence." And Collegefootballnews.com agrees!!

"We have our daddy back." Riiiigggghhhhttt!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody remember when Billy Donovan pulled his little stunt. How has Florida basketball been since?

Last edited:
Why don't you morons give this guy a break. He is a good man and a great coach. This was a regularly scheduled Sugar Bowl conference - he didn't have much choice but to answer the questions.

If he had such a big ego, he wouldn't go on a leave of absence. He would just keep coaching and forget about his family. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that he is unsure what to do. He wants to take care of his family and his players. The leave of absence is a compromise to address that conflict.

He may never come back. He wants some time to figure out his health problems. If he feels better about his health problems, he'll return to coaching, which he obviously loves.

The comments Lou Holtz made were telling - Holtz stated that a leave of absence would have helped him when he was coaching.

thank you

So...they were saying he may not even miss a game now...hmmm...

Integrity? no...Great coach? yes.

BTW this means he lied...to everyone, including his family.

Last edited:
What I want to know is who is giving this man advice on his career? Brett Favre? First he is resigning, then he is taking a leave of absence...what next?

Seriously why the need?? A press release to the media would have been sufficient.

You are asking why the biggest story in sports needs a press conference? Are you seriously just that ignorant on how things in the real world function?

No, a press release would not have worked. Florida getting a new swimming coach could be handled in a press release. Big stories don't get settled with press releases. Ask Tiger Woods how releasing statements and not answering questions to the media works for you.

Unless Florida and Meyer wanted to deal with months of wild speculation, or unless they were trying to hide something, then refusing to see the media would be the right play. If they wanted to explain the situation in Meyer's own words, and put to bed any questions the public may have, they you have to get in front of the media.

Oh, but having common sense is a side effect of a "Big ego". Honestly, some of you guys need to get off the computer and learn how the real world works.

Right on GhostofBTT. Further, if what has folks in arms is that the press conference was carried live by ESPN, Urban Meyer had nothing to do with that decision. That was ESPN's choice. Television sports and news networks have established a pattern that works - find a "big story" and then ride the horse until it dies. Remeber OJ? M-Jackson's Death? Nipplegate? Titney Spears 15 minutes of fame? Jen Aniston's breakups? Baloon Boy? They rode all those into the ground, until consumers are sick of it and flip the channel.

Same for ESPN this time around - Meyer leaving the Florida program is huge sports news, and they played it up as much as they could.

Great post. Some people forget to think before they criticize.

First of all I hope everything works out for him health wise.The only problem I have is the timing of letting all of this come out.Couldn't he wait until after the bowl game.Does he need to get his players motivated to play Cincinnati?

He is likely to not miss ONE game...after he got his families hopes up...he let them know that his football family means more to him.

First of all I hope everything works out for him health wise.The only problem I have is the timing of letting all of this come out.Couldn't he wait until after the bowl game.Does he need to get his players motivated to play Cincinnati?

+1

(btw... nothing but respect for the man and his coaching abilities)

You are asking why the biggest story in sports needs a press conference? Are you seriously just that ignorant on how things in the real world function?

No, a press release would not have worked. Florida getting a new swimming coach could be handled in a press release. Big stories don't get settled with press releases. Ask Tiger Woods how releasing statements and not answering questions to the media works for you.

Unless Florida and Meyer wanted to deal with months of wild speculation, or unless they were trying to hide something, then refusing to see the media would be the right play. If they wanted to explain the situation in Meyer's own words, and put to bed any questions the public may have, they you have to get in front of the media. Yeah the Meyer press conference just insured us that we will not have to deal with WILD SPECULATIONS for the next say 8 months. lol

Oh, but having common sense is a side effect of a "Big ego". Honestly, some of you guys need to get off the computer and learn how the real world works.