Updated Rankings 12/24

It's amazing that we have 9 potential AAs based on these rankings and yet we feel so far out of the team race. How can that be?

It's amazing that we have 9 potential AAs based on these rankings and yet we feel so far out of the team race. How can that be?

I agree. It's crazy to think our best case scenario could end with 9 AA, 2 champions, and a 2nd place team trophy.

I agree. It's crazy to think our best case scenario could end with 9 AA, 2 champions, and a 2nd place team trophy.

CR, you are right, it is crazy. But you know what, that is, I would guess, exactly what OSU, Okla, Minn etc were saying in the 70's, 80's and 90's about us. And most all of them figured out a way to do it one, two or even three times(win the title that is).

I hate hate to say it, but we are in that boat looking at PSU.... At least for now. We can win again and we will, but we as fans just need to adjust our expectations, cause as long as Cael(and his name) are recruiting in that hotbed, it is unrealistic to think any program will dominate the way we have/did.

I think the only way Iowa wins this year is: 1) wrestle above expectations, AND 2) Penn State has awful luck with injuries like Iowa did last year.

Last year we started fast and faded. Perhaps this year perception is we are starting slow and will finish strong wrestling above expectations and getting a little luck on the way to the crown. Indeed PSU is the team to beat at this point, but looking back at this past football season, who would have ever thought that Alabama wOuld not be playing for a national title. Upsets can and do happen. Keep the the faith, our coaches will have this team ready when it counts

Wow, the meet last Saturday didn't hurt Iowa's team ranking?

Crazy.

things happened to hoyle for the most part on saturday. and remember iowa beat psu in the dual last season by a similar score. don't put too much into this early season meet.

That's the things with duals, you take two guys are only a point apart (you know toss-up), and if one team wins the toss-ups, the score will look lopsided considering it's an all or nothing team score. I'm not that worried, we will still have a strong showing with possibly 9 AA and 2 champs.

Last year we started fast and faded. Perhaps this year perception is we are starting slow and will finish strong wrestling above expectations and getting a little luck on the way to the crown. Indeed PSU is the team to beat at this point, but looking back at this past football season, who would have ever thought that Alabama wOuld not be playing for a national title. Upsets can and do happen. Keep the the faith, our coaches will have this team ready when it counts

This can't be serious.

I've got faith that the team will be better by the end of the year, but if you think this team has a shot in hell of passing PSU this season, you're high on some pretty crazy stuff.

Last year, we were able to say that we were a better duel team. Clearly, that's not the case this year. And PSU is built to score big points at nationals. They've got two guys who are as close to locks for the finals as you could possibly be. Maybe Taylor and/or Ruth suffer injuries down the road. But barring injuries, PSU is in its own class right now. And that's not changing in just a couple months time.

This can't be serious.

I've got faith that the team will be better by the end of the year, but if you think this team has a shot in hell of passing PSU this season, you're high on some pretty crazy stuff.

Last year, we were able to say that we were a better duel team. Clearly, that's not the case this year. And PSU is built to score big points at nationals. They've got two guys who are as close to locks for the finals as you could possibly be. Maybe Taylor and/or Ruth suffer injuries down the road. But barring injuries, PSU is in its own class right now. And that's not changing in just a couple months time.

And Iowa has 2 guys who are close to locks for the finals as well. There isn't as big of a gap between the 2 as people think. The difference like in years past will be bonus points. PSU takes advantage of that and Iowa needs to get back to doing that as well.

And Iowa has 2 guys who are close to locks for the finals as well. There isn't as big of a gap between the 2 as people think. The difference like in years past will be bonus points. PSU takes advantage of that and Iowa needs to get back to doing that as well.

Like I said, PSU is built to score at nationals. They're doing exactly what Iowa was doing a few years ago and hasn't for the last couple: going for bonus points. Iowa has had championship-caliber wrestlers (Marion, McDonough, etc.) but last year they didn't go for the throat like Metcalf, Borschel, etc. Especially Marion.

I haven't seen much of that kind of intensity out of anyone on this team outside of Ramos. Even St. John doesn't always show that urgency. And I don't think that's going to change between now and March. That's a matter of mindset, not talent or health.

Like I said, PSU is built to score at nationals. They're doing exactly what Iowa was doing a few years ago and hasn't for the last couple: going for bonus points. Iowa has had championship-caliber wrestlers (Marion, McDonough, etc.) but last year they didn't go for the throat like Metcalf, Borschel, etc. Especially Marion.

I haven't seen much of that kind of intensity out of anyone on this team outside of Ramos. Even St. John doesn't always show that urgency. And I don't think that's going to change between now and March. That's a matter of mindset, not talent or health.

Agreed, we are not wrestling a good style right now as a team and it's a disturbing trend. Really hope we get it turned around before we are looking at PSU dynasty.

Agreed, we are not wrestling a good style right now as a team and it's a disturbing trend. Really hope we get it turned around before we are looking at PSU dynasty.

Hate to break it to you, but they've already started a dynasty. They're a clear favorite to get their 4th straight title this year. Our best hope is to keep them from getting 5 straight, when Ruth and Taylor are gone.