update on coaching duties

herbyhawk

Banned
i finally found this information and was surprised;

Kirk Ferentz; Head coach 12th year
Norm Parker; Defensise Coordinator 12th yr [ i was under the impression he coached LB]
Ken O' Keefe; Offensive Coordinator and Quarterback Coach 12th yr
Eric Campbell; Wide Receivers Coach 3rd yr
Lester Erb: Running Backs Coach and Special teams 11th yr
Eric Johnson: Tight Ends Coach and Recruiting Coordinator 12th yr
Rick Kazenski; Defensive Line Coach 6th yr
Reese Morgan; Offensive Line Coach 11th yr
Phil Parker; Defensive Backs Coach 12th yr
Darrell Wilson; Running Backs and Special Teams Coach 9th yr

after finding this i am surprised by how long some have been here, for one i did not realize Kazinski was here before Ballard and Clayborn were
this changes my thinking that it is a problem with d-line recruits as he was responsible for developing them, i now think we got a few spoiled brats or babies that couldn't hack it
With Wilson and Erb both handiling the ST, i think it would be better served to change the responibilities around, if Norm Parker does retire, the New DC could also take over ST
to me it is not that we need a major change in coaches, we really need to change the thinking and responsibilities

i finally found this information and was surprised;

Kirk Ferentz; Head coach 12th year
Norm Parker; Defensise Coordinator 12th yr [ i was under the impression he coached LB]
Ken O' Keefe; Offensive Coordinator and Quarterback Coach 12th yr
Eric Campbell; Wide Receivers Coach 3rd yr
Lester Erb: Running Backs Coach and Special teams 11th yr
Eric Johnson: Tight Ends Coach and Recruiting Coordinator 12th yr
Rick Kazenski; Defensive Line Coach 6th yr
Reese Morgan; Offensive Line Coach 11th yr
Phil Parker; Defensive Backs Coach 12th yr
Darrell Wilson; Running Backs and Special Teams Coach 9th yr

after finding this i am surprised by how long some have been here, for one i did not realize Kazinski was here before Ballard and Clayborn were
this changes my thinking that it is a problem with d-line recruits as he was responsible for developing them, i now think we got a few spoiled brats or babies that couldn't hack it
With Wilson and Erb both handiling the ST, i think it would be better served to change the responibilities around, if Norm Parker does retire, the New DC could also take over ST
to me it is not that we need a major change in coaches, we really need to change the thinking and responsibilities

I think that would be a little unorthodox to have a DC handling both defense and ST. Probably would be best to keep some role specialization there.

We have a lot of guys who have been here for a while. Makes you wonder why they havent gotten offers to move up the food chain somewhere else.

Iowa has to have a special teams coach that does special teams only period.
The disaster that has been Iowa's special teams the past several years has to be addressed.

We have a HC and a DC that do not coach a position. We also have a DC that does not recruit.

That is going to stretch a staff thin and it shows on ST.

Also, one of the coaches is requiring extra help to do his position, which stretches things more thin.

we have KOK who coaches the QBS and 2 coaches that sjare the SP team duties, Norm does not coach the LB's as i thought, but as pointed out cannot due to health issues does not recruit off campus
the staff is full, and i will speculate that Lester Erb that imessed up on is the LB's coach has the kickoff, and punting team duties on the defensive side
where Wilson has the KO Return and PR side of ST, you now have a dilemma, as both are good at their primary jobs as a RB & LB coach if you want to change coaches not to mention the recruiting area, so pick your poisen, fire those 2 to change special teams coaching and lose their recruiting connection and position coaching or give the ST to a new DC or a third option is to get a DC like Stoops that coached LB's and turn St over to the current LB coach who handles ST

we have KOK who coaches the QBS and 2 coaches that sjare the SP team duties, Norm does not coach the LB's as i thought, but as pointed out cannot due to health issues does not recruit off campus
the staff is full, and i will speculate that Lester Erb that imessed up on is the LB's coach has the kickoff, and punting team duties on the defensive side
where Wilson has the KO Return and PR side of ST, you now have a dilemma, as both are good at their primary jobs as a RB & LB coach if you want to change coaches not to mention the recruiting area, so pick your poisen, fire those 2 to change special teams coaching and lose their recruiting connection and position coaching or give the ST to a new DC or a third option is to get a DC like Stoops that coached LB's and turn St over to the current LB coach who handles ST

Not necessarily about Stoops but to have Norm retire and to have and outside hire at DC who also coaches LB's. Then reorganize the staff so that one coach is assigned to special teams. I think that move would solve A TON of problems in the program right now.

The biggest problem with ST NOW is the same as last year. One coach assigned to ST is also having to cover part of another coaches job.

Not sure why people can't get this.

i did not mean to hire Stoop in particular. i used him as an example has he has done both LB's and the DC's job
and as i pointed out we have 2 coaches handiling ST, one on the Offensive side and one on the Defensive side, no may=tter ow you slice up the coaching duties people are going to have to pull double duty ,
the question is who do you assign to do the double duty

Last edited:
Our poor play on special teams is a result of a lack of talented special teams type players.

Special teams units are largely comprised of: TE's, LB's, FB's, and Safety types.

You need bigger bodies that can run.

Look at our roster. We don't have those guys on our team.

It is not a coaching issue as much as it is a recruiting issue.

I vote to cut KFs salary in half and hire a few extra coaches like ST and QB coach!!

Wait, that would help the team, but hurt KF's pocketbook. Nevermind, aint happening.

The biggest problem with ST NOW is the same as last year. One coach assigned to ST is also having to cover part of another coaches job.

Not sure why people can't get this.

Totally agree.

Who was in charge of ST in the early-mid 2000's when our special teams were good? Was it one coach or two coaches who shared the responsibility?

With Norm declining health, im guessing Wilson has to put more time on the defensive side of things with gameplan, etc. More time on defense = less time working with special teams = less effective ST play. IMO

Hate to see Norm go, but for health reason I hope he steps aside. Bring in DC who can coach LB also and allow Wilson to work with ST ONLY.

Wasn't Norm DC and LB coach before his health went down hill?

We have a HC and a DC that do not coach a position. We also have a DC that does not recruit.

That is going to stretch a staff thin and it shows on ST.

Also, one of the coaches is requiring extra help to do his position, which stretches things more thin.

Not having a DC recruit is big, but otherwise your statement makes no sense. Iowa has the maximum number of coaches allowed by the NCAA just like any other school. You can't just hire a staff of 50, there are limitations to the size of a staff by the NCAA.

I vote to cut KFs salary in half and hire a few extra coaches like ST and QB coach!! Wait, that would help the team, but hurt KF's pocketbook. Nevermind, aint happening.

You realize that we can't hire "extra" coaches right???? Nice try thou

Too many guys with gray hair in my opinion, content on riding out the tail end of their career with a coach that is known as one of the most loyal in the industry. Not sure how those guys can relate and appeal to the type of out-of-state talent we NEED to come and contribute at Iowa. I'm inclined to take a few younger, minority coaches to pound the pavement, they can even be inferior from an X's and O's standpoint, to upgrade our roster's talent SIGNIFICANTLY, so long as they have a good "pulse" for the team's attitude and have them motivated to play.

Talent is bad and there is simply no excuse for a team coming out flat in the final home game of the year, senior day, with B1G Legends division momentum on the line!

Latest posts