UofI Hospital and Kinnick Stadium just got vandalized tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as liberal as they come, but law enforcement/military/political leaders need to start putting the hammer down on these protests. They can still protest of course (a right that needs to be protected under the 1st), but looting, vandalizing, breaking things, breaking laws should not/will not be tolerated. There needs to be arrests and that might result in some people possibly getting hurt if law enforcement is put at risk and they have to protect the lives of themselves and others. The protesters need to understand if they break the law, there are consequences for that. I have a feeling, that is going to happen after tonight's events in Iowa City. Things are likely to get even uglier.

No problem with arresting vandals/looters but no need for super heavy presence of armored vehicles. The police are public safety officers and should make sure the peaceful protesters can do what they are doing but go after the law breakers.

And peaceful protesters need to make sure they are not around the looting etc and not trying to protect the vandals.

This kind of action takes whatever positive feelings a person would have for supporting the protestors and throws it out the window. Nile Kinnick died a hero trying to fight against oppression. This kind of insensitiveity shows that this is a joke to some of the protestors. Searching for respect by being disrespectful doesn't work. Doesn't the stadium have security?

Hey, dont lump peaceful protesters in with vandals and punks. We have no idea if these idiot scofflaws were even protesting or using the cover of the protests and the night to go do their mischief.

There are a lot of weird people on all sides who have some feelings of disenfranchisement or who just want to vandalize who go out and do this shit.

Nile Kinnick would defend people's rights to protest. He would likely kick the ass of people defacing property. The people doing those things aren't protesters...the people looting aren't protesters...they are opportunists and criminals and they are just using the protests as cover. Arrest them...but you don't have to harass and abuse peaceful protesters to do it.

My problem is that I don't trust the Iowa City police to do it right. I still harbor ill will and suspicion from when I was at Iowa a long time ago. Based on what some of the players have said, they still have the take aggressive action, ask questions later mentality. It's exactly what I remember and I was on the receiving end of it. If the culture of that department hasn't changed...then protest the hell out of them.

Last edited:
As Hawk fans I have to believe almost everyone on this board is pissed about this vandalism in IC last night to the hospital, stadium and statue. Instead of a wave at the end of the 1st quarter these idiots gave a middle finger to the patients and people working in the hospital. It's just like we are all pissed at the cops in MN that were involved in this murder, because that's exactly what it was, a murder, even by those cops standing by and watching. Many of the good-willed protestors look bad as well last night... many were standing by and just watching and not discouraging it. Too afraid to speak up I would assume for most ... but there might also be some passive endorsement by a few.

As bad as all this was in IC, it pales in comparisons to the looting and burning of property in many cities across the country, yet we had people on this board trying to minimize that. Many of these were minority owned businesses, people who put their life's work in to opening a business and employing people in these communities that have needed it so desperately for decades. Then, comments like "property can be repaired", get criticized by others with an opposing view to this type of behaviour and the criticizers basically get called racist. Why? Because they refuse to stand by and ignore the injustice no matter what the crime is?

Last edited:
All of this is not going to end well. If you think this is only about race relations it isn't. All I'm going to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts