University of Maryland hopes to 'enhance the fan experience' by selling alcohol

I've been calling for this for several years, now. At least a little party-like atmosphere would be a nice distraction from the underperforming team and the persistent strategical blunders, personnel mismanagement, and general obstinance by the coaching staff on game-day. I would most certainly have renewed this year if they simply allowed me to freely have a couple beers without the fear of some thin-skinned, pius super-fan text-tattling on me to Two-Star.

Keep this in mind the next time you read a post from one of the ol' coots, braggin about how they proudly stuck with the team through the losing times nearly 2 generations ago ... Back then, you could bring botas, backpacks and coolers full of liquor and beer into the stands! So, before you go patting them on the back for "enduring" such lack of success, keep in mind those f-ers were probly 3-sheets to the wind, which would make the bad football a bit easier to bear.

I think I actually prefer the game without alcohol being sold. I would just prefer them to go back to being more relaxed on the tailgating rules.

Why stop at just allowing alcohol.... Let's go all out at making it a 3 beer minimum. Then loosing wont hurt so much.

This makes sense ... i often try to enhance my fan experience by drinking alcohol.

Like stanhope said, "Ok. So you don't need to drink to have a good time ... but that means you have to have a good time, to have a good time."

They were actually very lax on open containers last year. I pounded 2 beers from the tailgate to the stadium every single home game last year and nobody cared. Not the security or the cops. They seem to be trying to relax a little bit

I'll also add that the gophers sold beer at their games last year and everything was just fine minus the blowout loss. There's really no point in not selling it

I'll also add that the gophers sold beer at their games last year and everything was just fine minus the blowout loss. There's really no point in not selling it

This. The time is coming where it will eventually be sold in Kinnick. Too much revenue at stake.

mrrwg.jpg

I think I actually prefer the game without alcohol being sold. I would just prefer them to go back to being more relaxed on the tailgating rules.

How will the selling of alcohol affect the game?:confused: ;) Are the players, coaches and refs gonna be drinking?

Now there's a way to "improve" the game day experience ... for sure the quality of play if we can get the coaches to throw a couple back to "loosen up".

Here's a groundbreaking idea.

Arrest the a-holes and the ones that get out of hand.

Leave the rest of the people the hell alone and let them have a good time.

I've been calling for this for several years, now. At least a little party-like atmosphere would be a nice distraction from the underperforming team and the persistent strategical blunders, personnel mismanagement, and general obstinance by the coaching staff on game-day. I would most certainly have renewed this year if they simply allowed me to freely have a couple beers without the fear of some thin-skinned, pius super-fan text-tattling on me to Two-Star.

Keep this in mind the next time you read a post from one of the ol' coots, braggin about how they proudly stuck with the team through the losing times nearly 2 generations ago ... Back then, you could bring botas, backpacks and coolers full of liquor and beer into the stands! So, before you go patting them on the back for "enduring" such lack of success, keep in mind those f-ers were probly 3-sheets to the wind, which would make the bad football a bit easier to bear.

Good point. I'd wager 85% of those true fans couldn't walk to their cars after the game. I remember the stories that started with: "So I was at the Iowa game and this dude puked all over..." or "...and this guy was passed out..." Those are the real diehards. I'm sure they secretly miss Bob Cummings too.

To enhance the game day experience for everyone.....When you come into the stadium this year, they'll ask you, "do you have any alcohol?" and if you say no, they give you some.

The revenue they're missing out on by not selling alcohol is significantly high. Let's say out of 70,000 fans there are 5,000 who have 2 beers during the game. That's 10,000 beers at a likely minimum of at least $6 so that's $60,000 right there. And those estimates are probably low. You're likely talking about $500,000 plus just in beer sales during a season. They could then put that money towards a Ferentz buyout.

The revenue they're missing out on by not selling alcohol is significantly high. Let's say out of 70,000 fans there are 5,000 who have 2 beers during the game. That's 10,000 beers at a likely minimum of at least $6 so that's $60,000 right there. And those estimates are probably low. You're likely talking about $500,000 plus just in beer sales during a season. They could then put that money towards a Ferentz buyout.

If people knew the money was earmarked for that, you'd see quite a drunk-fest. Though i'm sure the Admin would limit beer sales to one per person, per half.

Here's a groundbreaking idea.

Arrest the a-holes and the ones that get out of hand.

Leave the rest of the people the hell alone and let them have a good time.

Are you suggesting that people should be responsible for their own actions? That would be crazy.

I think you have to sell beer at the stadium. It makes too much financial sense. Police the idiots, leave the rest to manage themselves. Liberty...got to love it.

Question: Are some of these places that sell it located in "off-campus" stadiums?

I always wondered if the NCAA "limited" alcohol availability IN stadiums on campuses. When UCF built its on-campus stadium, you an now buy beer in the "club seating" area, but must stay in that area. Once you go into "the regular area", beer can't be brought with you.

Latest posts