Unimportant fun post about a current player

dagdaj

My son is a freshman. Has a few freshman players on his dorm floor. None that have played, but do suit up.

Apparently one of them hides a button (I assume like a picture/pin button, not like a clothing button) somewhere on the dorm floor for my son and his roommate to find. When they find it, he'll give them a treat. Maybe a candy bar or a Hawkeye sticker or something. Apparently, he went all out this finals week. The stakes were raised this week. If they found it, they'd all go share a whole Airliner pizza together, his treat. Not just a slice.

I've also instructed my son to never, EVER, repeat anything or say anything remotely similar to anything that has ever come out of my mouth about Hawkeye football. Except any general positive stuff like "the Swarm is cool" or something. No player needs to hear my nonsense. That's what you guys are for.

I'm mostly glad that my son is participating in this kind of wholesome immature dorm hijinx. I joined a fraternity and spent most of my freshmen year there. I didn't really participate in this kind of dorm nonsense until second semester. I mean, who comes up with the idea? Have someone from Prairie Lights come in and read "Where the Wild Things Are" while college kids 'act it out' in the dorm lounge in a non liquor event? Seems so stupid. And yet. We had fun. And I sorta remember it is as the last time I got to, for just a moment, just be a dumb immature kid, making do without any real care in the world. Don't get me wrong, I've done some dumb immature stuff since then, but not "organized grade school like 'fun' activity" that turned out to be completely enjoyable. I suppose, maybe in another 30 years when I'm in some retirement home, I'll get to experience that again. At least that's the hope. At the moment, I'm most likely to be the angry old man in the corner complaining about the ferns instead of making balloon animals or baby food jar snow globes.

Latest posts