UNI- Winners of 8 of last 9

Ronco

That loss to OUR Iowa Hawkeyes.
South Dakota State played Minny tough.
Don't know what the conference season holds, but I'm optimistic we'll represent well.

I'm really not sold on Minnesota yet. Their signature win is a 5-point win over an average North Carolina team. Outside of that, they've beaten no one, and lost to an average Virginia squad. We'll find out just how good they are in a couple weeks.

I'm really not sold on Minnesota yet. Their signature win is a 5-point win over an average North Carolina team. Outside of that, they've beaten no one, and lost to an average Virginia squad. We'll find out just how good they are in a couple weeks.
We will find out soon how good Minnesota is - here's their next 5 games:

@Wisconsin
@Michigan State
Indiana
@Ohio State
Purdue

Oh, then the Hawks play at Minnesota.

Back to the OP - UNI is playing very well now. Nice win for the Hawks.

The only reason we beat UNI is they were ice cold from the field. Just weren't making shots. Had they been shooting like I've seen them shoot lately, we'd have been thumped, IMO.

The only reason we beat UNI is they were ice cold from the field. Just weren't making shots. Had they been shooting like I've seen them shoot lately, we'd have been thumped, IMO.

I think Iowa had a little bit to do with that. They played pretty good defense. Maybe that's the reason UNI didn't shoot so well that night, instead of it just being an off night for UNI. Panther lover.

Had two random dudes not gone insane from three against ISU and Wake Forest than we would have won those games. It works both ways.

I think Iowa had a little bit to do with that. They played pretty good defense. Maybe that's the reason UNI didn't shoot so well that night, instead of it just being an off night for UNI. Panther lover.
Yes, I also agree that Iowa had a lot to do with it. Iowa was better prepared for UNI than they were a lot of teams this year, due to having a coach that has split with them the past 2 years, and he pretty much knew what to expect. He had his kids prepared, and defensively, they played great that night!
That being said, UNI didn't shoot very well, though I fully expected them to have a tough time with Iowa, especially on the road. I think Iowa is going to have a better year this year, and I expect they'll be playing their best basketball late in the season. I think UNI is already looking 10 times better than they did a month ago. They had big holes to fill coming into the season, and now I think those players are finding their roles and settling into them nicely.
I'm also a Panther lover, but do like the Hawks and wish them well!

Had two random dudes not gone insane from three against ISU and Wake Forest than we would have won those games. It works both ways.

exactly. this is my point. UNI was awfully cold v. us, and yes, give some credit to iowa, but man i saw uni miss a ton of open shots. i put that on them mostly being 'cold' instead of iowa shutting them down.

look at iowa v. ISU. it's not like we were smothering that 3 point guy with our D. he was hitting open shots. UNI got those shots too, but they just didn't fall.

UNI was forced to take a lot of VERY deep 3-pointers. They weren't good shots, which is why they made such a low percentage of them. And that was because of the Iowa defense. When you don't have Ali on the floor anymore, 25-footers aren't going to fall very often.

And Christopherson (sp?) has been shooting ridiculous all year. He was shooting 60% (20/33) from three coming into the game against us, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. We gave him some easy looks, and he hit some contested shots too. He's not shooting 52% on the year by accident.

Understand your point but that cuts both ways. How many layups did Iowa miss that game, not to mention the horrendous free throw shooting. Really, Iowa should have won the game against UNI comfortably if they just make the bunnies and the foul shots.

UNI still is the best team in the state, despite the loss to Iowa. 39 points is not the effect of awesome defense, its the effect of cold shooting.

that being said I am fully confident that Fran will have Iowa back to at least at large contention in the next couple years.

Also, remember, Iowa's best player, Gatens wasn't shooting well due to the hand injury. Had Gatens even been anywhere near his usual self, shooting percentage wise, Iowa again wins comfortably.

UNI still is the best team in the state, despite the loss to Iowa. 39 points is not the effect of awesome defense, its the effect of cold shooting.

that being said I am fully confident that Fran will have Iowa back to at least at large contention in the next couple years.

You score only 39 points it's a little of both.

39 points is 39 points, no matter how you slice it. For a team to score 39 points is pathetic, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Iowa is not the best against the 3-ball, but that is the one game Iowa did play solid 3-point defense. Why, because that is what Iowa prepared to defend. In other games (ISU/WF/SDSU), Iowa left too many players wide open. There were guys open against UNI, but not in their comfort zone, Iowa pushed them out deeper than they normally take shots, again becaue they extended their defense just a little more. UNI had no inside presence to speak of and what presence there was was no real threat. Yes, UNI didn't shoot the ball that well, but Iowa also had more to do with it than you want to believe. A team doesn't score 39 points just beacuse they had an off night. When your main focus is jump shooting and the offense doesn't do anything to get the ball inside for easier looks, then it makes it easier for the defense to defend.

Wake Forest lost to Presbyterian the other night at home. I'll be shocked if they win a conference game this year....I still can't believe we lost to them.

UNI was forced to take a lot of VERY deep 3-pointers. They weren't good shots, which is why they made such a low percentage of them. And that was because of the Iowa defense. When you don't have Ali on the floor anymore, 25-footers aren't going to fall very often.

And Christopherson (sp?) has been shooting ridiculous all year. He was shooting 60% (20/33) from three coming into the game against us, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. We gave him some easy looks, and he hit some contested shots too. He's not shooting 52% on the year by accident.

The dagger was Iowa's d the first five min of the second half and the 3 by Christopherson in the corner with a minute or so left. Shouldn't the blame go on the coaching staff for not putting a body on him, trapping instead, and making someone else beat us? Shooting lights coming into the game is not an excuse for failing to account for him sliding to the corner unaccounted for, and having a wide open look to bury the Hawks.

The dagger was Iowa's d the first five min of the second half and the 3 by Christopherson in the corner with a minute or so left. Shouldn't the blame go on the coaching staff for not putting a body on him, trapping instead, and making someone else beat us? Shooting lights coming into the game is not an excuse for failing to account for him sliding to the corner unaccounted for, and having a wide open look to bury the Hawks.

In the Iowa-ISU game I watched, May guarded Christopherson all the way down the floor, but then helped off him for whatever reason...as soon as he dropped to help, I had a mini-stroke, that was not on the staff, that is on the player and that player was May. What reason as a player would you help off of a guy that is shooting 60% for 3-ball?
When it comes down to it, the fans want to point the finger at the staff, but the players have to execute. How do they react in a situation? What do the players do when it matters the most? Look at what May did on the in-bounds play during SDSU, I think, when he just threw the ball in with no thought, it isn't the first time May has made a poor descision when it matters. Coaches can preach what to do in all cases, but the players have to execute. Don't point the finger at Fran on this one when a player failed at the critical time. We don't know what was said in the huddle, but I seriously doubt it was, "Hey Eric leave Christopherson wide open." The situation was perfect actually until May dropped down. Cartwright was on the ball and Basabe was defending the basket...what was May thinking? If Garrett beats Cartwright, then fine, Basabe can challege him at the rim and/or foul him hard enough not to make the layup and force foul shots. Let's see, give up a layup or wide open three...hmmmm, such a hard choice May. May hasn't played well against a decent team since that game. Yeah, I am being a little tough on May, but that is one of those times to ignore everything else and not leave the shooter, plain and simple.

Latest posts