Under Review needs to go!

IowaFanSince82

I am sorry the reviews in college football are becoming more of a joke. Each week there are several plays under review and they don't get over-turned!

The biggest and worst one I have seen to date was last night in the FSU vs UNC game. Did anyone see with about 20seconds left in the game, UNC tried to throw a pass out in the flat. The pass was low and the receiver tried to catch it, but it bounced off his hands up in the air and into the FSU's DB hands. The ref blew his whistle and called it incomplete. The replays show that the ball hit the receiver hands and bounced up. It never touched the ground! The refs could of said FSU's ball, there was an inadvertent whistle after the change of possession. FSU ball at the spot of the whistle 1 and 10. The refs even reviewed it and said it was an incomplete pass.

So the questions comes to mind, do they actually look at it, or are the officials up stairs still listening to the refs down on the field? I just don't understand how anyone cannot see that. The play in the Michigan game where A-Rob caught that long pass from Stanzi, they call incomplete on the field and the replays show a catch (but no review.) So do the officials on the field have the final say? Who over-turns who? Because lasts night call was a CLEAR interception and they did not overturn the call on the field. I hope the NCAA takes a look at their review process and changes it. It is not consistent and there have been too many mistakes made!

That was a bad call last night, and one that FSU fans would be right to be upset about has UNC gone down to tie the game. It happens. In the case of the A-Rob catch, it was curious that it wasn't reviewed, but at the same time, Kirk could have thrown the challenge flag as well.

All in all, I think the review/challenge process in college in about eleventy billion times better than the NFL.

When I am in Kinnick for a game, when there is a review of a play, they never show it again on the Jumbotron. Meanwhile, fans at home watching on their televisions will see a replay from every possible angle. If you don't believe me next time you are in Kinnick and there is a play being reviewed, see if you get to see it on instant replay on the big screen. Gary Dolphin and Eddie Podalak see it, but I think they watch television to see it. Anybody know the reasoning for that?

I agree it does need to stay, but they need some changes! Sorry for my earlier post, I meant to say the process needs to be changed. There have been several incidents this year with "review" and they need to make sure that they get it right, or else why have it? It just seems that several of the plays are being looked at, but not over-turned. Do the officials have a problem with being told they made the wrong call?

Also can anyone tell me what the rule is on a coaches challenge? How many a game do they get? What merits a coaches review?

The only reason I ask, is last night Butch Davis wanted to review a 2pt conversion. The refs reviewed it, but it didn't get over-turned. So did UNC get charged a TO or is there not a penalty (being charged TO if wrong) for asking for a review? The rules seem very sketchy and unorganized in my opinion. I think the NFL review is better. Make the coaches pay if they get the review wrong. Also we wouldn't have all these stoppages of play during the game. just my 2 cents.

It was actually easier to see in regular motion, when they slowed it down it sort of made it harder on the eyes. I guess the saw the dirt being kicked up by his hands and thought it was cause by the football, but they were just way overthinking if thats the case.

I think for the most part the replay process is pretty good. There are times when you can't believe they don't reverse a call or they miss one, but at least we have replay to look at when the human factor on the field actually gets it wrong. Could they do a better job? Yes, but as an earlier poster said, it's ten times better than the NFL's review process.

I hate how it has to be "indisputable". The refs make a horrible call, and when it goes to reviewing it you can see it was a bad call but it's not "indisputable". It just bugs me when I see it.

I do, however, think that it needs to stay. It is something that has improved the game as far as bad calls are concerned. I remember before there was replay and when you saw the replay on TV and it was obviously not the correct call... that made me irate compared to not being able to overturn the call.

I am sorry the reviews in college football are becoming more of a joke. Each week there are several plays under review and they don't get over-turned!

The biggest and worst one I have seen to date was last night in the FSU vs UNC game. Did anyone see with about 20seconds left in the game, UNC tried to throw a pass out in the flat. The pass was low and the receiver tried to catch it, but it bounced off his hands up in the air and into the FSU's DB hands. The ref blew his whistle and called it incomplete. The replays show that the ball hit the receiver hands and bounced up. It never touched the ground! The refs could of said FSU's ball, there was an inadvertent whistle after the change of possession. FSU ball at the spot of the whistle 1 and 10. The refs even reviewed it and said it was an incomplete pass.

So the questions comes to mind, do they actually look at it, or are the officials up stairs still listening to the refs down on the field? I just don't understand how anyone cannot see that. The play in the Michigan game where A-Rob caught that long pass from Stanzi, they call incomplete on the field and the replays show a catch (but no review.) So do the officials on the field have the final say? Who over-turns who? Because lasts night call was a CLEAR interception and they did not overturn the call on the field. I hope the NCAA takes a look at their review process and changes it. It is not consistent and there have been too many mistakes made!

It's better (most of the time) then nothing at all. Can it be improved upon? I'll leave that for the experts to determine.

Latest posts