Uncertainty Surrounds '24-25 Iowa Hoops Season

I believe that will happen when KF retires. His history is all we have to sell recruits. NIL will be the death of football at places. Ten win seasons are nice and I'm not fired up for a new coach.

I do optimistically see the QB problem. Hill will be deep bench and Cado and Marco will have a collective good season. Kaleb Brown thrives in the offenses. Two other receivers will emerge as steady go to receivers that can get some YAC.
It will all depend on who the next coach is. I have a lot of faith that Beth can make a great hire happen. If she can't then I nominate Lisa Bluder.

It hasn't been for lack of talent. My take on McC's weakness is the inability to get the team ready for big games, and especially late in season. Iowa had more talent than Oregon but came out clueless and without purpose or urgency. Iowa had far more talent than that 14 seed that beat us the next year (might have those mixed up).

Other big games, like the BTT same thing. We are either upset in the first game or need a big come back to win what should be a pretty easy first game and are burned out in the next game.

Having said that we really are just Iowa, the Big Ten's basketball pissing post. Small school, little recent notable success, not much NIL, not very diverse, shitty weather, aging facilities and an aging fan base. Iowa's not a shiny gig. Now we usually go to the NCAA, occasionally miss and win around 20 games. Every change in the social and athletic cultures in the last 30 years has worked against Iowa. Not so much a "woe is me" thing as a set of facts that make's Iowa's road a little steeper. Too big to be an underdog story and too unimportant for BB treatment.

Statistically most coaching changes fail in college especially in MBB. It's a quarter century since the last Sweet 16. We should be mindful that we are doing OK and probably cannot do much better on a regular basis.​
I agree completely that it hasn't been for a lack of talent and agree with your take. Which is why I'd be pleasantly surprised to see next years team make the tourney, because I've seen it play out over and over.

I believe that will happen when KF retires. His history is all we have to sell recruits. NIL will be the death of football at places. Ten win seasons are nice and I'm not fired up for a new coach.

I do optimistically see the QB problem. Hill will be deep bench and Cado and Marco will have a collective good season. Kaleb Brown thrives in the offenses. Two other receivers will emerge as steady go to receivers that can get some YAC.

Well when your in the basement of a large building the elevator only goes up. So we will see improvement in the offense. If Hill sticks around I think he will improve with an OC that was a successful QB. Western Michigan is far from an elite program and yet Lester did some good things over there. I fully expect the offense to pick up and improve…………….. as long as Kirk lets Lester do his thing.

I agree completely that it hasn't been for a lack of talent and agree with your take. Which is why I'd be pleasantly surprised to see next years team make the tourney, because I've seen it play out over and over.
It's really a cycle that happens every 4 or 5 years. George's first year, Dr. Davis' 4th year (although massive injury bug and suspension of a player that was eligible by Iowa's academic requirements and was accused of no other violations of school policy).

My only fear is these freshmen won't be ready to take over like 2018. I think this crew is a more all pieces fit situation.

Well when your in the basement of a large building the elevator only goes up. So we will see improvement in the offense. If Hill sticks around I think he will improve with an OC that was a successful QB. Western Michigan is far from an elite program and yet Lester did some good things over there. I fully expect the offense to pick up and improve…………….. as long as Kirk lets Lester do his thing.
Isn't this the basketball forum?

Latest posts