Unbelievable

Northside Hawk

The NFL has been heavily mentioning the famous "Immaculate Reception" as we approach the 50th anniversary of that iconic play. There's a document coming up on NFL network. The Steelers and Raiders play this weekend, ceremonies galore.

And now word that Franco Harris has passed literally the week of that anniversary at age 72.

Is this an ironic world or what?

Pretty sure this belongs in the OT area, but seeing as how it is not a other Proctor thread, I will allow it.
There is a pro sports thread but no one ever reads it, let along participates in it...

The truly ironic thing about that game is that it wasn't even the best game of the day. Dallas vs SF was.

The immaculate reception game was a giant snoozefest until Stabler perked it up with a late TD scramble to give Oakland the lead, setting the stage for Franco Harris.

Dallas vs San Francisco featured an electric opening kickoff return for a TD by Vic Washington and it only got more exciting from there. Dallas finally came back one last time and won it late as Staubach lead the way.

One of the most underrated playoff games in history. Just ask @HawkGold.

Last edited:
That sucks... He was always a fun guy to listen do interviews too. I wasn't alive when he did what he did to get famous but you can't tell the history of the game without that play. Everyone that's an NFL fan should know all about it.

That sucks... He was always a fun guy to listen do interviews too. I wasn't alive when he did what he did to get famous but you can't tell the history of the game without that play. Everyone that's an NFL fan should know all about it.
Not that he didn't get plenty of opportunities, but he was well known for stepping up in big postseason games. He held all the postseason rushing records until Emmit Smith came along.

Not that he didn't get plenty of opportunities, but he was well known for stepping up in big postseason games. He held all the postseason rushing records until Emmit Smith came along.
Yeah that play was during his rookie year. He was a stud player that had a hell of a career after that.

Yeah that play was during his rookie year. He was a stud player that had a hell of a career after that.
Did you know in college (for Joe PA at Penn state) he was primarily a blocking back for Lydell Mitchell.

Mitchell had a solid NFL career, but Harris had a hall of fame career with four super bowl wins.

There is a pro sports thread but no one ever reads it, let along participates in it...

The truly ironic thing about that game is that it wasn't even the best game of the day. Dallas vs SF was.

The immaculate reception game was a giant snoozefest until Stabler perked it up with a late TD scramble to give Oakland the lead, setting the stage for Franco Harris.

Dallas vs San Francisco featured an electric opening kickoff return for a TD by Vic Washington and it only got more exciting from there. Dallas finally came back one last time and won it late as Staubach lead the way.

One of the most underrated playoff games in history. Just ask @HawkGold.
Yes, I was a 49er nut. And that was a very exciting game. I wasn't very old, but when Dallas came back and won I was frustrated and jumped up...sitting down on the "old" kitchen counter where my mom had a BIG fish tank. My back hit an antique pitcher which then hit the fish tank, shattering the side of the tank. Fish and water poured out. My mom heard it and came in trying to hold back water with here hands as fished flopped on the floor. She never cried, except then and it was a wailing. When mom was upset, you didn't want to hang around. I ran to the basement and hid. Water started coming down through the floor on onto my head. I hid for a very long time. I will never forget. Vic Washington, Gene Washington, John Brodie, Forrest Blue... great players.

The Harris catch was unbelievable. I hated the Steelers, but one has to admit they were good. Jack Tatum deserved the loss. He did one of his assassinations and didn't try and wrap up Fuqua. Tatum was hated by most fans anyway.

The Immaculate Reception is noted as the GOAT, but my biased opinion is the "Catch" was better.

Clark never understood how he got that high. He was funny to hear talking about it. Said others would remind him it could have easily been "The Drop".

Yes, I was a 49er nut. And that was a very exciting game. I wasn't very old, but when Dallas came back and won I was frustrated and jumped up...sitting down on the "old" kitchen counter where my mom had a BIG fish tank. My back hit an antique pitcher which then hit the fish tank, shattering the side of the tank. Fish and water poured out. My mom heard it and came in trying to hold back water with here hands as fished flopped on the floor. She never cried, except then and it was a wailing. When mom was upset, you didn't want to hang around. I ran to the basement and hid. Water started coming down through the floor on onto my head. I hid for a very long time. I will never forget. Vic Washington, Gene Washington, John Brodie, Forrest Blue... great players.

The Harris catch was unbelievable. I hated the Steelers, but one has to admit they were good. Jack Tatum deserved the loss. He did one of his assassinations and didn't try and wrap up Fuqua. Tatum was hated by most fans anyway.

The Immaculate Reception is noted as the GOAT, but my biased opinion is the "Catch" was better.

Clark never understood how he got that high. He was funny to hear talking about it. Said others would remind him it could have easily been "The Drop".
Montana to this day says he was trying to throw that pass away, as he was instructed in the timeout. Clark just made an unbelievable athletic play.

It changed the balance of power in the NFC. The Niners would be among the elite for the next 15 years. Dallas was finished as we knew, not to resurface until Jerry amd Jimmy arrived.

Spot on with Tatum. It was fourth down. If he had any chance to knock the ball down he should have. Instead he measured Fuqua for the kill.

When you do stupid things, the ball can sometimes take crazy bounces. Just ask Merton Hanks. It happened to him vs Ohio State in 1990 and by the time the ball stop bouncing around Jeff Graham was headed to the end zone on the last play of the half. That whole game was a kick in the nuts, but that's for another time

Latest posts