UCLA survives on weird call

Ok, after watching that clip on the jumbotron at the house, it is possible the ball could have drawn iron. I sheepishly withdraw my objection.

Actually the overhead view pretty much proves that the ball CAN'T hit the rim. Look at where the ball is, and the trajectory of the shot. It is long, the ball is going PAST the rim. The overhead shows how it is directly over the ball, but the ball is going to continue to go long, not drop straight down out of the sky.

I wish there was some way to show the trajectory of the ball, as there is now way that ball is ever hitting the rim. It is already past the front of the rim, and the fallacy that people are falling for is the ball is coming straight down. The ball is also moving further AWAY from the rim (past the rim actually at the shot is long) at the same time, and there is no way that ball hits the rim if it is never touched.

Ok, after watching that clip on the jumbotron at the house, it is possible the ball could have drawn iron. I sheepishly withdraw my objection.

Not saying I "completely' agree with the call, BUT, video review would definitely NOT have been able to overturn the call. So int this case, reviewable or not, tough to say it should be overturned.

That needs to be a reviewable call, though. As pointed out by another poster, officials will stop a game for several minutes to add or subtract mere tenths of a second to/from the game clock.

We need some of that fancy animation physics software that recreates accidents and motion events.

As Deanvogs says the ball has a horizontal component of velocity.

I just think it was a bad time in the game for a whistle on a shot that was not close to having a chance on its own of going in.

I still think the lower floor level camera shows the bottom of the ball below the rim. So what does that mean, to me it means shot is already missed being able to go in.

Just eat the whistle man. Refs always say they dont want to control the outcome and this was so iffy

I saw a still from the side that clearly shows the ball was touched while above the level of the rim. Cant tell if it was in the cylinder of course.

I can see how it could have hit the rim and there is the chance, though I don't see it, with some crazy spin or something that it could go in. That being said I have seen the same thing happen many times when they didn't call it.
Honestly, I really don't care and I think the only reason many people care on this forum is that it benefited he who must not be named, you know, Voldemort. The Dark One.

So the camera was EXACTLY at rim level? :)
Pretty damn close. Look at how flat the rim is in this shot.

518718931-Goaltending-Debate-Did-UCLA-SMU-Refs-Make-Right.jpg

Latest posts