Tyrese Hunter In The Portal

The trouble is that while the NCAA is rolling around in the bed it shit in, so are we as fans. The current NIL and transfer system is making what was already an unbalanced system worse. If the money keeps moving towards an arms race, then in some respects, college players have more opportunities than pros. A rookie NFL player is locked into one place for at least 4-5 years before becoming a free agent. All college players are, essentially, free agents now, and can be purchased by the highest bidder.

I don't blame the kids. I would go where I am paid the highest too.

I don't begrudge these kids getting paid. The money is there. They deserve a piece of the pie. But, what started out as "let's let the kids do a Carlos o'Kelly commercial for a couple grand" has turned into something that is out of control. A lack of any rules almost always leads to the dirtiest and shittiest actors thriving.

If championships can simply be bought, its not particularly interesting anymore. If the trend continues, I doubt I will be a college fan in a few years. Sad.

The trouble is that while the NCAA is rolling around in the bed it shit in, so are we as fans. The current NIL and transfer system is making what was already an unbalanced system worse. If the money keeps moving towards an arms race, then in some respects, college players have more opportunities than pros. A rookie NFL player is locked into one place for at least 4-5 years before becoming a free agent. All college players are, essentially, free agents now, and can be purchased by the highest bidder.

I don't blame the kids. I would go where I am paid the highest too.

I don't begrudge these kids getting paid. The money is there. They deserve a piece of the pie. But, what started out as "let's let the kids do a Carlos o'Kelly commercial for a couple grand" has turned into something that is out of control. A lack of any rules almost always leads to the dirtiest and shittiest actors thriving.

If championships can simply be bought, its not particularly interesting anymore. If the trend continues, I doubt I will be a college fan in a few years. Sad.
For most kids that's what'll still be though. It's still just the 5 and 4 star studs that'll be driving the crazy market at the blue bloods. The middle ground will be interesting to see what that ends up being.

So long as the $ is being accounted for and taxes paid it is what it is. I don't look at it as dirty. It's free market. If kids aren't smart with their $ or trust the wrong people then that's on them. But they have the right to make those mistakes. It's not the school or coach or NCAAs job to protect them or shield them from the real world. They can help sure but they aren't responsible

One thing people need to understand is that this thing is a Wild West novelty right now. It’s uncharted territory so everyone and their brothers are throwing gobs of money at it. At some point it’s going to plateau and level off, followed by a decrease.

Eventually big money folks are going to see that

1) throwing $500k at a four star athlete is a terrible investment in terms of ROI, and that it’s only the top 0.05% of athletes that are truly difference makers and make a big enough impact to warrant big money. Those players aren’t going to schools like Iowa even if there was no NIL, and after the excitement on NIL dies down a little the hidden gems like Hunter aren’t going to get lured away like that on a big scale. How often do you think big donor bases are gonna throw millions at recruits who turn out to be flops before they realize their money is going down the drain?

2) stacked teams (at least more stacked than they are already) aren’t going to be a thing. You think Mr. 5 star WR wants to go to a school with 3-4 other 5 stars to fight it out for playing time? Nope. He’ll go somewhere else. Newsflash…those players will still go to the top 6 SEC teams plus OSU and Michigan anyway.

There’s still the same amount of 5 stars in basketball and football every year and they’re still going to go to the same handful of schools. Could there be some under the radar guys like Keegan Murray etc who ditch their original schools? Yep. But it’s very apparent that a middle of the road school like Iowa isn’t going to all of a sudden win a natty or reach the CFP because of one player even if they have those wonder boys on their rosters.

Give it a few years and this thing will be an afterthought except for the very top recruits/players.

For most kids that's what'll still be though. It's still just the 5 and 4 star studs that'll be driving the crazy market at the blue bloods. The middle ground will be interesting to see what that ends up being.

So long as the $ is being accounted for and taxes paid it is what it is. I don't look at it as dirty. It's free market. If kids aren't smart with their $ or trust the wrong people then that's on them. But they have the right to make those mistakes. It's not the school or coach or NCAAs job to protect them or shield them from the real world. They can help sure but they aren't responsible
But its not just the 5 star kids. Get on line and read what some of these boosters are doing at other schools. The lower tier kids band together and sell their NIL to a shell booster company and split the proceeds. Its a lot of money. How do you think A&M landed the best class in the country? They bought it.

You know guys like Jerry Jones or Phil Knight could easily fund an NIL entity. Let's say Jerry puts 50 million into a fund and the starters all split that. How does Iowa look an OL recruit in the eye and say, "come to Iowa and learn from the best OL coach in the country, or go to Arkansas and make a million a year." Who wouldn't do that?

Are we there yet? No. Is it heading that direction? Absolutely. The right to compete for titles is now squarely open to the highest bidders. And if you think Iowa can play in that cesspool, I have some ocean front property in Altoona for you......

One thing people need to understand is that this thing is a Wild West novelty right now. It’s uncharted territory so everyone and their brothers are throwing gobs of money at it. At some point it’s going to plateau and level off, followed by a decrease.

Eventually big money folks are going to see that

1) throwing $500k at a four star athlete is a terrible investment in terms of ROI, and that it’s only the top 0.05% of athletes that are truly difference makers and make a big enough impact to warrant big money. Those players aren’t going to schools like Iowa even if there was no NIL, and after the excitement on NIL dies down a little the hidden gems like Hunter aren’t going to get lured away like that on a big scale. How often do you think big donor bases are gonna throw millions at recruits who turn out to be flops before they realize their money is going down the drain?

2) stacked teams (at least more stacked than they are already) aren’t going to be a thing. You think Mr. 5 star WR wants to go to a school with 3-4 other 5 stars to fight it out for playing time? Nope. He’ll go somewhere else. Newsflash…those players will still go to the top 6 SEC teams plus OSU and Michigan anyway.

There’s still the same amount of 5 stars in basketball and football every year and they’re still going to go to the same handful of schools. Could there be some under the radar guys like Keegan Murray etc who ditch their original schools? Yep. But it’s very apparent that a middle of the road school like Iowa isn’t going to all of a sudden win a natty or reach the CFP because of one player even if they have those wonder boys on their rosters.

Give it a few years and this thing will be an afterthought except for the very top recruits/players.
Really disagree with this, especially for basketball. You only have to buy 3 players to change your fortune. Three! One boosters throws down 15 million at Nebraska or some other shit BB school and says, go buy the 3 best players on the market. You don't think a 5 star kid would come to Nebraska for 5 million and knowing that 2 other studs will be joining him? Even if Kansas/Indiana/Duke etc. all offer these same kids, but their NIL deals are worth 500k each, the shittiest program in the country will land three of the best players in the country. Totally plausible. That is a rounding errror for Warren Buffett.

No other sport, not even fading sports like MLB, have a total lack of any rules for compensation of its athletes. This thing is nuts now and it will get a lot worse before it calms down, if it ever does......

One boosters throws down 15 million at Nebraska or some other shit BB school and says, go buy the 3 best players on the market. You don't think a 5 star kid would come to Nebraska for 5 million and knowing that 2 other studs will be joining him?
Not gonna happen. Basketball in particular isn't near enough of an exact science talent wise to say any three guys are the best ones out there, and even so, super talented teams get beat by lesser teams all the time. You're acting like it's possible to guarantee a national championship by having your pick of players. Is that guy who threw down $15M going to be happy with a final four or runner-up? Nope. And even if it did happen (which it won'), it wouldn't take very many instances of $15-20 million super teams getting upset in the 2nd round or S16 to put the kibosh on wasting that kind of money. You're completely overblowing this thing.

I agree that no matter who you buy, there is never a guaranty that you will win a title. But, you can certainly increase your odds a great deal and you can certainly make yourself better and relevant. Right now Nebraska is a laughing stock. Never won a tourney game. If they could buy 3 of the top high school players in the country, you don't think they would go from a joke to a contender in a country minute? Maybe they bow out in the second round, but that still better than they are now. As we have all said a million times, its not about the Xs and the Os, its about the Jimmies and the Joes.

15 million is chump change for some people.

Think of it this way. I am guessing most folks on here are pretty normal, financially. Would you pay $1,000 to have 3 of the best kids in the country play hoops at Iowa? I bet a lot of us would. If you are a billionaire, you don't sweat 15 mill.

AJ Green reminds me of Matt Gatens every time I see him play. Really don't want to see him suit up for ISU but wouldn't surprise me after Rob's post about his dad being on the coaching staff there.

Think of it this way. I am guessing most folks on here are pretty normal, financially. Would you pay $1,000 to have 3 of the best kids in the country play hoops at Iowa? I bet a lot of us would. If you are a billionaire, you don't sweat 15 mill.

Which is why Arkansas is going to be a contender for the forseeable future now unless the rules change.

wonder if the Waltons are Ark boosters? give me another reason to hate Wally World

Big time boosters. Supposedly they spent 2.5 million on this basketball recruiting class, obviously I can't verify that. But when your family is worth 238 billion 2.5 million is nothing.

Big time boosters. Supposedly they spent 2.5 million on this basketball recruiting class, obviously I can't verify that. But when your family is worth 238 billion 2.5 million is nothing.

Probably a tax write off was well.

Just bumping around the internet...TTech seems to be the frontrunner for his services. Not sure exactly what is going on in Lubbock, but they all of a sudden have become a player in both basketball and football.

There are a few schools that are pre-eminent in oil and gas engineering and oil and gas management that have P5 programs - Tejas, Tech, A&M and State (as in Oklahoma). When West Texas Intermediate breaks $100 a barrel or nat gas breaks 5 bucks per mbtu or whatever it is, oil men are flush with cash, they forget about any past hardships, and presume they need to spend every penny because more is coming tomorrow and it ain't ever gonna stop. T. Boone gave something like a half a billion to OSU with much of it earmarked for athletics.

Tech prolly has 50 guys who have made a metric fuckton of money in O&G and they all have little brother Iowa State/Michigan State style complexes but they get shit on from multiple schools in their own state - Baylor, Texas, A&M and recently even Houston. To put this into perspective, imagine being a Clown U fan and walking into the country club in Waterloo, Iowa wearing your bolo and 10 gallon hat and getting big timed by every Iowa, Drake and UNI fan. Drake fan says some shit like "Yeah, we had a rough football season, but let me show you the pictures I took at the team banquet celebrating our national title in hoops" and then the UNI fan is like "too bad we're not in the same conference because we destroyed you guys 42-3 last year and I like those wins" and the Iowa fan is like "hey, maybe the 9th time will be the charm in football." Shit would get old really fast. That is why Tech is suddenly a player. Dudes are sick of losing.

Which is why Arkansas is going to be a contender for the forseeable future now unless the rules change.
Along with the fact that Eric Mussleman can flat out coach. But we're at the teetering point where that's going to mean as much on the NCAA as it does in professional sports. Which is not much. Until postseason play anyway.

Some how this thread would have been more enjoyable to me if we didn’t wiff out in the NCAA tourney all the time to teams we are suppose to beat.

Hard to be pointing fingers and mocking anyone with egg on your face.

Kind of falls into that pot calling the kettle black mind set. :(

Yes, still sulking.