Tyler Smith, Tucker, Sommerville, Thompson...

oregonhawkeye

I was reading the thread on Dickerson and wondered this: Which Iowa transfer leaving the program represented the biggest loss? I can't think of a single transformative player leaving. Just tons of potential, possibilities.
Who would have impacted the program had they stayed?

Ray Thompson was a huge loss to the program back in the day. Still remember the epic win at North Carolina that he had a huge hand in as a freshman on a big stage. He was set to be a vital cog after the departure of Roy, BJ & Eddie. Course the reasons behind his transferring wasn't because of playing time.

Tyler Smith was a pretty big loss. But after his arrest at TN for drugs and weapons, he probably would not have been much of an asset to Iowa's program had he stayed.

Remember the Lick days...FOUR straight years our leading scorer TRANSFERRED. Freeman, Kelly, Smith, Aaron ? (went to AZ or ASU I think). Ultra strange b/c generally one transfers for lack of playing time or lack of opportunities to score. These guys were the LEADING scorers. So thankful for Fran and those days behind us. Dark days indeed.

Tyler Smith was a pretty big loss. But after his arrest at TN for drugs and weapons, he probably would not have been much of an asset to Iowa's program had he stayed.
He sure would have given the Iowa City Police something to do other than arresting people for peeing in public or carrying a beer around Kinnick. Then again, they would have never caught him. I wonder if it's still the same, as trust me, it's been a few years since I graduated. Back then, they could be across the street from a drive by shooting and they would arrest the kid dropping a burrito wrapper near them.

Last edited:
You guys are too young. This is a no brainer. His name is Connie Hawkins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...kins-autobiography-a-great-read-for-hoop-fans

Athletic Director, Forest Evasheski, got Connie out of town even though he had done nothing. Evy then called
Burlington JC and told them to get the three Iowa placed there out of town.

Future All ABA center, Mel Daniels

Future Olympic 200 meter gold medal winner, Henry Carr

WF, Jim Boyce

The Hawks returned All Big Ten, Don Nelson next season. This cost Iowa a sure fire National Championship.

You guys are too young. This is a no brainer. His name is Connie Hawkins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...kins-autobiography-a-great-read-for-hoop-fans

Athletic Director, Forest Evasheski, got Connie out of town even though he had done nothing. Evy then called
Burlington JC and told them to get the three Iowa placed there out of town.

Future All ABA center, Mel Daniels

Future Olympic 200 meter gold medal winner, Henry Carr

WF, Jim Boyce

The Hawks returned All Big Ten, Don Nelson next season. This cost Iowa a sure fire National Championship.
In our defense this must make you pretty old ;)

Just imagine if say none of them left and played it out.. I just think it's crazy where there were so many of our best players transferring. It's one thing if it's your 9th man on the bench itching to play. But your leading scorers and players your building around leaving just sucks... Glad we're past that whole 'era'

I was at Iowa basketball camp when Sommerville was a freshman and he dominated in the scrimmages against a good Iowa team. He had an NBA body at age 18, would have been fun to see his game develop playing the SF position at Iowa instead of the PF position he ended up playing at Bradley.

Remember the Lick days...FOUR straight years our leading scorer TRANSFERRED. Freeman, Kelly, Smith, Aaron ? (went to AZ or ASU I think). Ultra strange b/c generally one transfers for lack of playing time or lack of opportunities to score. These guys were the LEADING scorers. So thankful for Fran and those days behind us. Dark days indeed.

It was Aaron Fuller and he transferred to USC.

Big loss would be Harrison Barnes. He would have blossomed here at Iowa. He went to play for the greaseball named Williams.

Back in the Harrison Barnes days, I don't remember if he even had us on the radar. We were terrible at that time. Iowa State had more of a chance at him then we did. IF he had came to Iowa, he would have probably transferred by the time his first year was over with. Jake Kelly was a guy that I felt had a lot of upside and would have probably stayed all four years if it wasn't for his family's accident.

Latest posts