Tyler Goodson skipping bowl game

I am sure Goodson knows whats best for him, but I won't miss all those runs where he ran backwards and lost 4 yards. It seemed to happen to Goodson more often than it did to Williams. Not sure why.

However, does he really think he can make an NFL team at this point in time? Scout team? Just seemed like maybe he could have used another year. Best of luck to him.
No way. RB is by far the toughest spot to break through in the bigs. That position is a disposable afterthought in todays game.

If Wadley, Daniels, and Butler didn’t make a squad, Goodson won’t.

No ill will whatsoever though. I wish him the best. I’m also excited about Gavin Williams. That dude seemed like full speed ahead when he got his carries this year.

I am sure Goodson knows whats best for him, but I won't miss all those runs where he ran backwards and lost 4 yards. It seemed to happen to Goodson more often than it did to Williams. Not sure why.
Williams is more of a straight ahead power runner in my estimation. He is not going to be dancing around much. Goodson on some of those 3 or 4 yard losses seems to see no hole, a bunch of opposing jerseys, he dances to try to find a hole, and boom most times he is taken down for a loss.

No way. RB is by far the toughest spot to break through in the bigs. That position is a disposable afterthought in todays game.

If Wadley, Daniels, and Butler didn’t make a squad, Goodson won’t.

No ill will whatsoever though. I wish him the best. I’m also excited about Gavin Williams. That dude seemed like full speed ahead when he got his carries this year.
Butler I thought had the best chance of maybe carving out a short career, but he couldn't stay healthy. He had the best combination of build/skills to. (his tape at Nevada was unreal he was nicked up with us off and on and split touches when he was healthy) Daniels was plenty big/tough enough he just must have been too slow and not quick enough. He never even really got a shot did he?

Goodson is just a little quicker more elusive version of Sargent. They are about the same size and Sargent has bounced around practice squads so far. I don't think Goodson will be looked at as an every down back in the NFL so as a niche role 3rd down guy does he have enough value? There's a ton of competition for guys like that. Seems like an uphill climb but I'm rooting for him.

I agree with the flip side of it......we need to expand the playoffs to make things more meaningful and attractive for players to stay.
This.

Argue what you may about the playoffs being diluted, the fact remains any bowl today is a consolation prize for a (enough)-flawed team not making the CFP. (even the NY6 bowls).

Confoundingly, a lot of people don't see the bowls that way at present, but after the expansion, it'll be fairly obvious.

This.

Argue what you may about the playoffs being diluted, the fact remains any bowl today is a consolation prize for a (enough)-flawed team not making the CFP. (even the NY6 bowls).

Confoundingly, a lot of people don't see the bowls that way at present, but after the expansion, it'll be fairly obvious.
After the near parity in football this year a person would think the playoff would expand. 8 teams would be logical. Five conference champs and 3 at large. I would accept that if your not in the top 8 you wouldn't have a chance at the title. The other divisions have like 20 teams in their playoffs. If we go that route the season would have to be shortened.

After the near parity in football this year a person would think the playoff would expand. 8 teams would be logical. Five conference champs and 3 at large. I would accept that if your not in the top 8 you wouldn't have a chance at the title. The other divisions have like 20 teams in their playoffs. If we go that route the season would have to be shortened.
At the risk of repeating, I've advocated the following CFP plan:

8 teams
5 conf champs, 3 at large (committee chooses)
Rank them 1-8 (committee)

Round one: 1-8, 2-7, etc.
**Higher ranked team gets a playoff game at home**

Semi's: play at one of the NY6 venues. Rotate venues.

Finals: played at stadium to highest bidder.

Have to equal out # of conf games played by each conf
Conf champ games still relevant?

Couldn't find a good portal team with a good offensive line that would guarantee a starting position. So decided to take a shot at the Pro's. I KNEW he wasn't coming back to Iowa. The only question was portal or pro.

Star bright star light grant the wish I wish tonight............. Brian F. goes back to NFL to take a position coach position some where or goes to a NO WHERE COLLEGE and become their head coach like is daddy.

Couldn't find a good portal team with a good offensive line that would guarantee a starting position. So decided to take a shot at the Pro's. I KNEW he wasn't coming back to Iowa. The only question was portal or pro.

Star bright star light grant the wish I wish tonight............. Brian F. goes back to NFL to take a position coach position some where or goes to a NO WHERE COLLEGE and become their head coach like is daddy.
IMO if end goal for him is to make the NFL then this was the time for him to go. I don't see the portal being an option as they're saying this years RB class is weak in comparison to who's coming out next year. His window (if any) is most likely right now.

At the risk of repeating, I've advocated the following CFP plan:

8 teams
5 conf champs, 3 at large (committee chooses)
Rank them 1-8 (committee)

Round one: 1-8, 2-7, etc.
**Higher ranked team gets a playoff game at home**

Semi's: play at one of the NY6 venues. Rotate venues.

Finals: played at stadium to highest bidder.

Have to equal out # of conf games played by each conf
Conf champ games still relevant?
This is the best way to do it and I think it will happen, but they can’t do it with that kind of seeding. No one wants to see Pitt or Iowa or NC State or whoever get rolled 87-0 in Tuscaloosa every year.

You’d have to split it into to halves and seed them 1-4 on each side.

If you went with a straight bracket (using the CFP rankings for the 3 teams that didn't win their conference) it would look like this and 3 out of 4 would be horrible blowouts.:

#1 Alabama vs. #8 Pitt
#2 Michigan vs. #7 Utah
#3 Georgia vs. #6 Baylor
#4 Cincinnati vs. #5 Ohio State

If you seeded it in two halves it would look like this:

#1 Alabama vs #4 Utah
#2 Georgia vs #3 Ohio State

#1 Michigan vs. #4 Pitt
#2 Cincinnati vs. #3 Baylor

Is it perfect? No. But a whole lot better than #1 vs #8.

This is the best way to do it and I think it will happen, but they can’t do it with that kind of seeding. No one wants to see Pitt or Iowa or NC State or whoever get rolled 87-0 in Tuscaloosa every year.

You’d have to split it into to halves and seed them 1-4 on each side.

If you went with a straight bracket (using the CFP rankings for the 3 teams that didn't win their conference) it would look like this and 3 out of 4 would be horrible blowouts.:

#1 Alabama vs. #8 Pitt
#2 Michigan vs. #7 Utah
#3 Georgia vs. #6 Baylor
#4 Cincinnati vs. #5 Ohio State

If you seeded it in two halves it would look like this:

#1 Alabama vs #4 Utah
#2 Georgia vs #3 Ohio State

#1 Michigan vs. #4 Pitt
#2 Cincinnati vs. #3 Baylor

Is it perfect? No. But a whole lot better than #1 vs #8.
Interesting take. I like the halves idea.

How would you select the 'halves'?

However, does he really think he can make an NFL team at this point in time? Scout team? Just seemed like maybe he could have used another year. Best of luck to him.
As a RB, how much or what does he need to get better at? He’s probably gonna want to put on some more weight but that’s something he can do over the next 8 months. I think, at least this year he lacked straight, downhill running. Maybe w/ a better OL next yr he could put on tape more downhill tough running which might improve his draft stock. However, even if he simply makes a scout team he’ll earn $252k per season. Not a bad gig. At the very least I think Goodson will make a scout team. Wish the kid all the best and hopefully he sticks in the league for a few years & sets himself up financially for the rest of his life.

Latest posts