Tyler Cook Makes It Official

There will have to be some luck involved right place, right time sorta deal. If he embraces the role of a hustle/energy guy there’s an outside chance he may stick somewhere.

Last edited:
Why wouldnt he stay his senior year? He needs to develop. Maybe he realizes he isnt getting the coaching he needs and figures a minor league basketball coach would be better.

Good luck TC. I remember watching you in the sectional game your senior year. I hope you do well in your next step.

Why wouldnt he stay his senior year? He needs to develop. Maybe he realizes he isnt getting the coaching he needs and figures a minor league basketball coach would be better.

Good luck TC. I remember watching you in the sectional game your senior year. I hope you do well in your next step.

I think we all know his deficiencies. My assumption is he won't get drafted but he will get a G-league invite. I believe the G-league pays a minimum of $7,000 a month for 5 months. During that time he can focus 100% on basketball and make some cash at the same time. Probably sounds pretty good from where he's sitting.

I think in his head he was only going to be at Iowa for 1 or 2 years. Then reality gave him a gut check. However, he could return to Iowa, play for free with limited contact with coaches in the offseason. Or he could go pro and play basketball full time and not have to worry about taking final exams. Sorta seems like a no brainer to me.

From what I’ve gathered, this decision was made before this season started. He wanted to leave after last season.

And I’m of the belief that those folks that take anonymous shots at Cook and other amateur athletes on social media and message boards are living unsatisfying lives.

Ty has been exciting to watch for sure! I don't think anyone at all wants anything but the best for the young man who chose the Hawkeyes! Good Luck Ty! I think his high school running mate Jayson Tatum said it best when he placed the praying hands on his tweet....he is going to need it! We would be better off with him back at Iowa next and so would Tyler actually. I wish him well but let's be realistic about his chances to join Harden, Westbrook and the others who just have unheard of talent and ability. Good luck Tyler I do hope you realize your dream!

Occasionally TC made a beautiful jump shot that looked repeatable. With practice and good coaching he might find a shot he can make consistently. If he does the rest of his game is NBA ready. I hope this happens for him and he plays for years representing the U of I. Good luck Tyler!

I'm baffled by all the people who toss out the term "poor coaching". You haven't attended any practices and you have no idea what coaching he has received. Perhaps the young man has reached his ceiling.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed watching TC as a Hawk. Best of luck and go chase your dream, brother!

It could be that he has determined that he is what he is and that he has determined that his situation will not change after another year in college.

Therefore, he might as well go now, whether it be to the NBA or somewhere else.

I have a feeling that is it. Personally, I feel like if he dedicated himself to it he could be the kind of rebounder that Reggie Evans was, and that would make him a lot of money.

It could be that he has determined that he is what he is and that he has determined that his situation will not change after another year in college.

Therefore, he might as well go now, whether it be to the NBA or somewhere else.

I have a feeling that is it. Personally, I feel like if he dedicated himself to it he could be the kind of rebounder that Reggie Evans was, and that would make him a lot of money.

Errr....I'm not thinking that TC has Evans rebounding potential. Evans was a rebounding prodigy. He had that special extra something. I see TC as a tier below an Evans or Rodman type.

Errr....I'm not thinking that TC has Evans rebounding potential. Evans was a rebounding prodigy. He had that special extra something. I see TC as a tier below an Evans or Rodman type.

Perhaps he is a tier below, but he could make a lot of money in the NBA if he just concentrated on rebounding, even if he ended up being a tier below Reggie Evans as an NBA rebounder.

That is my point.

Perhaps he is a tier below, but he could make a lot of money in the NBA if he just concentrated on rebounding, even if he ended up being a tier below Reggie Evans as an NBA rebounder.

That is my point.

Sorry for splitting hairs. I agree with your broader statement. Glass cleaners definitely have value. It would probably be the most worthwhile area of his game to improve immediately. It would complement his offensive skill set as well.

It isn't like he's a bad rebounder, but we don't see him put in alot of the positioning work before or during the shot. I believe a big part of that is Fran's style of up tempo. If he makes an NBA squad they will probably just retrain him to position at first sight of a shot. I think he will be ok. No reason he can't do it athletic wise.